Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: consider thyself converted... a KWB report for wednesday  (Read 4577 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Re: consider thyself converted... a KWB report for wednesday
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2006, 06:04:45 PM »

Thanks awf. I've read other posts on it and have debated taking my inflatable boat down there...get away from the g.show and fly for fresher fish...Heard that there is a break in problem at the barrow. pump area...guess that goes for a lot of the Vedder as well, but more so there...

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2006, 09:48:06 PM »

With an inflatable lots of places to put it in. Fish the incoming tide and you could do well with the fly.

I have thought of doing this myself bu I would most likely use spoons as a newbie when it comes to fly fishing for them but I know the Master would set me up if I asked.

If you would like to leave your vehicle at my place while fishing you would be welcome to, if you are concerned about break ins. I am only 5 minutes from where you could launch, PM me if interested.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2006, 10:48:41 PM »

Not much of a fishing day today as Lew and I went to the City of Abbotsford to meet with Mayor George Ferguson, City Councilors and City Staff re the work of the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Coalition.
As most of you know part of the Vedder Canal is in the City of Abbotsford.

Lew did his usual excellent job of presenting our power point. They of course were very impressed with the CVRCC work and all you volunteers that turn out for our cleanups and will be getting involved in the near future. Thanks Lew for the great job today, we are making a difference to our precious Chillwack Vedder River. An enjoyable lunch at Cookies then followed along with Terry that wrapped up that part of the day.

I then meet up with Buckeye and we cleaned up about $6.50 worth of tins out of the Vedder Canal River bed along with a few floats. ;D

We then went down to KWB but did not make a cast as we cleaned up the garbage instead. A number of fish were hitting the beach, chum and chinooks.

We then moved down to the Blue Cup and Buckeye found a snag on his first cast, fishing too deep I guess. ;D ;D

We got nothing there and we had only 15 minutes of fishing time left anyway. Pleased to see both beaches fairly clean good work to those in those areas as others must be cleaning them up. Need to deal with the line issue which maybe we can do after fisherforever's event on Saturday morning. It would not take too long if we have the bodies.

We ended our day with a coffee at Tims. ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2006, 10:55:47 PM »

Further to this I asked when the gates that have been installed there would start to be locked. They had not determined that as yet.

carpman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2006, 12:04:18 PM »

I noticed the guys who were hooking up lots of coho were site fishing.  They were using a float set-up set at 2x the water depth and the float didn't even hit the water ::)

allwaysfishin

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2006, 01:56:37 PM »

yes i saw that too, funny thing, i see the same guys every year, seasoned anglers, they call themselves pro's. Some of them I have seen and chatted with over the many years i have fished the river.... and i see them resorting to sight fishing or rather sight flossing. It is truly a shame that these guys need to hook fish that bad and it troubles me to see guys that i know who have years of experience fishing the vedder, resort to this tactic, passing it on to the younger fellas who see what they are doing. I could rattle off a list of names of the guys i see regularly practicing this method but it just wouldn't be prudent. The worst culprits i have witnessed though are the fellas who have, for years, frequented the "slab run" in the upper river, setting up thier campers there or at thurston meadows , year after year. They perch on the rocks, polarized shades on, looking like a heron waiting to strike. What makes me even sicker is that these same seasoned anglers fish this way in steelhead season as well. Some folks you can educate, some you can not.

Barney

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2006, 07:26:25 PM »

i guess these guys are looking for either bragging rights or "meat"

carpman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2006, 08:01:11 PM »

The funny things is that one of those "pros" smirked and said to me, "you catch anything with that"?  I was using a colorado blade I made to entice them to bite.

It seems the pocket water like cement slab is the only areas where those guys can fish.

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2006, 10:41:31 PM »

Well its the first time I called dfo today and the first time I really wanted to smack another angler..This Asian guy gets a not bad looking dog,what does this guy do?puts a rope threw its gulls to keep it alive I say what the f....k why you doing that you are not aloud to do that. He says I want to get a better one..by this time am mad,I tell the other anglers around me but they don't seem to care.Then he gets a spring the same thing happens he puts it on the rope to keep it alive..Well I left to call dfo.If hes there tomorrow there will be trouble.

Boozi

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2006, 10:43:43 PM »

^^ Wow! >:( people these days really dont have a clue
Toss that Roe and get a Hoe

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2006, 10:47:42 PM »

Just makes me sick why people are so desperate for a fish.There is no sport anymore.

BadFish

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2006, 12:37:00 PM »

Fished alison pools this morning and there were 3 americans who were snagging fish in the pool on braided line with a bouncing betty and 6 foot leaders :o