Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: consider thyself converted... a KWB report for wednesday  (Read 4576 times)

allwaysfishin

consider thyself converted... a KWB report for wednesday
« on: October 19, 2006, 11:41:03 AM »

well, my day started late yesterday, arriving at the slab run on the upper river about 10:00 a.m.
Today I had restricted my arsenal to a 9 ft light line rod and baitcaster and brought nothing but some choice roe and some various blades sizes of colorado and french styles. I managed a few hookups within the hour i fished the upper, but the only coho that i got was snagged in the dorsal, a healthy clean hatchery buck which another angler gently released for me. Having re assured myself that these cohos where just not in the biting mood, I wandered down river, stopping just below the Crossing to check out a few likely slots. Success here was not to be, short floating with roe and blades produced nothing.
  At about 2:00 I decided to go down to the Kieth Wislon Bridge to see if situations were as dire as some have mentioned. Pulling in to the main parking area I noticed that more than half of the dozen or more vehicles had Washington plates... hmmm. I had come to chow some sandwhiches and coffee, so left the gear in the truck.  I watched for about an hour, seeing many guys longlining without floats, seemed half the guys had floats and the other half did not. Therre was a handful that were coming close to short floating and one in particular on the opposite bank managed to land a big chrome coho, hook embedded firmly in the mouth. he was using roe and his was the first fish in an hour of watching that looked like a legitimate biter.
   There was room on my side of the river and I had lots of roe left so.... I decided to slip in and see what i could manage. I was rigged with a 4 1/2" foam float, 4 medium split shot, spaced 2 inches apart and a 20 inch 8# flourocarbon leader. Sliding my float to within 1 ft of my top shot, i began fishing. Within minutes the float went down and i set the hook on a large chrome coho which went ballistic in the shallow water and snapped me off. I retied with 10# flouro and sent another chunk of roe down river. After a while I hear footsteps on the gravel behind me and turned to see Chris Gadsen strolling along doing litter clean up. While chatting I noticed the float go down and set the hook on what was to be the first of many chums. In short order I had hooked and released a couple chums and was starting to attract the attention of the fellow above and below me who were having little or no success. After Chris left these 2 gentleman both were curious as to the way i had rigged up and were more than willing to change thier gear to match the way i had rigged. I shared some of my roe with them and a short time later, they were both into fish, and "well hooked by the mouth" fish to boot.
These two gents couldn't believe it and expressed thier thanks on showing them the method we refer to as shortfloating. A couple of converts.... plus I managed to hook and land 12 or 13 chums, all hooked in the mouth on procured spring roe. I didn't manage even one foul hookup.
   The target species was Coho, but I had a great day today, and fishing was fun, as it should be. Good to see Chris out on patrol  (bummer bout the leafs last night eh?) and it was very good to see the DFO presence on the water today both on the upper and at KWB as i got there they were just pulling out.

dennyman

• Old Timer
Re: consider thyself converted... a KWB report for wednesday
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 11:57:36 AM »

Good report Alwaysfishing.  And good on you for helping out the other fisherman. Encouraged to hear that DFO was out and about on the Vedder River. And from the sounds of it, their presence may be having the positive effect of reducing the amount of dubious fishing practices that was taking place. I am not so naive to think it willl eliminate it totally but it is a start.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 12:38:59 PM »

thanks for the report!!!, Good on you for helping those ppl out. We need more of that!
weeeeeeeeeow!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 01:24:03 PM »

Yup...must be us washingtonians doing all the snagging...bashed the chinese and e. euro's enough, so lets start in on them!!!

allwaysfishin

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 03:15:12 PM »

true , i mentioned washington plates..... also true, i did NOT refer to them by any other means. I also did not refer to anyone as snaggers, though i did see a lot of long lining..... and this was being done by many of the folks down there. I will note though... and for those washington folks.... please don't be insulted BUT 4 gentleman came back from the river with a tarp, carried between them, FULL of dark chums and springs, each one took thier limit and they occupied 2 of the washington plated vehicles. ALL 4 of them had 6 foot plus leaders, no float and a big chunk of pencil lead. Now I realize that many folks south of the border fish rivers with this technique and i see it regularly on Olympic peninsula steelhead rivers. Whatever floats yer boat, but that method is frowned upon here. But just for you Golfman, my post was not an anti american longliner stabbing thread.... please relax. You are a respected angler within this internet community...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 03:20:10 PM by allwaysfishin »

Hook Set

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 03:19:07 PM »

Good job on the fish and teaching those guys. Nice to see some people are willing to change.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 03:31:04 PM »

Good to see you in action at KWB yesterday doing some good PR and some good fishing too. I think I will take my pole that way tonight when I do my afternoon cleanup so I can say I fished KWB too. ;D ;D Hey
maybe a t shirt saying " I Fished KWB Too" could be a good seller. ;D Maybe I should not have suggested that. Do we have some good designers in the crowd, I believe so as they always are making up ones knocking my beloved Leafs. I am leaving myself open again I know.

Heading there now anyway, report maybe later. :-\

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 03:42:59 PM »

Good to see you in action at KWB yesterday doing some good PR and some good fishing too. I think I will take my pole that way tonight when I do my afternoon cleanup so I can say I fished KWB too. ;D ;D Hey
maybe a t shirt saying " I Fished KWB Too" could be a good seller. ;D Maybe I should not have suggested that. Do we have some good designers in the crowd, I believe so as they always are making up ones knocking my beloved Leafs. I am leaving myself open again I know.

Heading there now anyway, report maybe later. :-\
that would be good ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

allwaysfishin

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 04:11:43 PM »

maybe it should read "I survived fishing at Kieth Wilson Bridge" LOL

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 04:15:00 PM »

or...this is how many fish I snagged ;D ;D

allwaysfishin

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 04:16:26 PM »

i fail to see any humour in a snagged fish.....

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 04:20:08 PM »

Not many people do(not being one of them) :-[
Just that there are soo many stupid shirts that come out and im sure someone has thought of it.....just a joke.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 04:24:20 PM »

Sorry, no disrespect intended...get my hackles up sometimes...thanks for the response..

Believe me, If I see Washington guys fishing that way I will rip them a new one...Those methods aren't excepted anywhere down here that I know of but like what's happening on the Vedder, it's overlooked to often...

As a side note, when people wonder where these guys come from I can only tell a quick story of what happened to me....I just bought a damn expensive bare jacket at Freds, I was talking to the guy at the counter and was attempting to ask about the mouth of the Vedder and taking a boat out there, (this was a couple weeks ago)...He said, "The fishing is really good down by the bridge down there, don't mind the odd guy fishing funny, It's where you'll find a LOT of fish"...I assumed he was talking about the bridge down by the highway...I drove out that way thinking that and then my buddy said..."You know where he's sending you right?" and I told him the highway bridge..NOPE...it was the KWB bridge..he circled it on the map he gave him....I was not only flabbergasted because it had nothing to do with the mouth but also highly insulted that the minute he saw American money he'd assume us "U all's" would all be so fish hungry that the KWB and a few "questionable" guys would be OK....
It was also nice to know that all the talk of fly fishing the mouth for tidal fish coming in fell on a supposed fellow fly fishermans deaf ears...and you know where they all stopped and bought their gear from too right? ???
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 04:36:17 PM by Xgolfman »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 04:33:18 PM »

Sorry, no disrespect intended...get my hackles up sometimes...thanks for the response..

Its ok.. we understand, you're american and it's in your nature to get your hackle up  ;D

I kid, I kid! 

allwaysfishin

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2006, 04:47:57 PM »

golfman.... we do fairly well stripping coho patterns on the spit of land that seperates the confluence of the sumas canal and the vedder canal. I think you can still get to it from the barrowtown pump station boat launch but i can't remember if it's the cultus exit and over the highway overpass or if it's the next exit.... someone may be able to clarify. Lots of deep slow water exists from the confluence down to the lower train bridge, approx 200 - 300 yards up from the mouth. We do well in there anchoring up the boat both with flies and with various spoons or vibrax. Dead drifting roe is a good method there as well. Not sure how passable the confluence is with this low water, haven't checked that out yet. Yesterday was actually my first trip up to the vedder system for this years salmon season.