Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whats is the difference between a Center pin reel and a mooching reel?  (Read 18049 times)

smokedfish56

My father in law just gave me a old mooching reel from a box in his basement. The reel is probably about 15 yrs old. I don't fish saltwater so what can I use it for? Can I use it like my center pin and float fish with it or what? I really just need help understanding the reel.

canso

• Old Timer
Re: Whats is the difference between a Center pin reel and a mooching reel?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 06:05:57 PM »

I use an old moocher for bar fishing.
And lead line for lake fishing

rustybee

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 06:10:05 PM »

Can I use it like my center pin and float fish with it or what? I really just need help understanding the reel.

I've seen people do that. As long as it works for you, don't let the norm sway you.  :)

CoastRider

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 09:35:55 PM »

I've used a mooching reel to cast in the ocean for coho when in a bind after breaking a spin caster. It won't fish quite as smoothly as a pin, but definitely usable if it can free spool efficiently

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 10:17:31 PM »

centre pins have a sort clutch that engages and disengages the drag, when disengaged the spool will 'free spool'. mooching reels generally lack that but you can turn the drag all the way down and disengage the clicker to get something close to a free spool action. If casting with enough weight they will cast a mile - hence some use them for bar fishing the Fraser with the massive weights used to fix the gear on the bottom.

regardless of trolling mooching fly or centre-pin all single action reels are essentially the same type of design and can be used similarly. Some folks use fly reel for trolling in the ocean for example.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

sbc hris

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 10:56:32 PM »

Hmm interesting topic, I've often wondered if anyone has fished a mooching reel as a CP.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 12:13:09 AM »

I have a Trophy XL Thyee QR mooching reel. When in free-spool yes it is probably similar to a center-pin reel. However this reel seems very heavy compared to a similarly sized center-pin reel, so it might be fatiguing to cast with all day and might make your rod feel butt heavy. I say try it out! What's the worst that can happen?

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 12:18:13 PM »

How about a home made pin?

Search YouTube for "homemade pin reel".

There's a couple of videos of reels made from hard drive and VCR parts.

losos

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 05:50:31 PM »

I don't know if (I really doubt it) home made center pin can achieve balance and lightness of one made with proper tools .

Suther

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 08:29:23 PM »

I don't know if (I really doubt it) home made center pin can achieve balance and lightness of one made with proper tools .

Go check out youtube. Some guy is making them out of VCR heads, and they are pretty damn smooth-looking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_rjWJpPVjs