Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Public shaming working?  (Read 9070 times)

strobes

Public shaming working?
« on: September 16, 2015, 06:38:23 PM »

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/story.html?id=11369048&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

He was posted on BC poachers Facebook page last week and is in the news this week.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 06:52:06 PM by strobes »
<>{Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies}<>

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Public shaming working?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 06:48:41 PM »

22 comments from less than a dozen people isn't much of a public shaming.

I certainly would never pull a fish up on the bank, but I have lots of pictures of sturgeon with nooses around their tail.
We used to noose the tail AFTER we reached shore to ensure that they were properly revived before release. None of my fish were ever mishandled.
I wouldn't do it now since the "guidelines" came out.

hrenya

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 07:26:59 PM »

that's so sad , I think they shouldn't let  people like that fish for a while (at least 10 years). We MUST CARE about sturgies , and I think DFO and CO should bump their penalties to insane rate , so people don't do this kind of stuff ... I love sturgies , they fun to play with , they look godly (like dinoes) .

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 07:31:57 PM »

Have you seen this before? The guy just commented on the article which talks about him in the process of being investigated by the conservation officers. Someone get this guy a lawyer, or a PR person or something...

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 07:53:33 PM »

Wow, that is insane. He clearly does not care.

Burbot

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 09:27:51 PM »

Why should he care? Nothing will be done.  Provincial co's, DFO and RCMP let FN  are too scared to do anything about what 'FN" do.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 11:12:03 PM »

Wow, that is insane. He clearly does not care.

Quote from: Burbot
Why should he care? Nothing will be done.  Provincial co's, DFO and RCMP let FN  are too scared to do anything about what 'FN" do.

You clearly didn't care to read the article, yet you are quick to make such stern statements.

C&P from the newspaper article:

The man, who goes by the name James Hope on Facebook, replied to The Province's interview request through an online message on Wednesday evening.
Hope says that a DFO officer has already spoken to him about his fishing techniques, and that he is aware of what he did wrong.
"All I can do is live my life and move on and fish the correct way I'm tought (sic) now," Hope wrote.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. ;)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 08:49:12 AM »

I hope I live to see the day when a course is required to obtain your angler number.
Instances like this one, where the man says he didn't know better, (if telling the truth) could be avoided.
This is just fuel for the antis...

Drewhill

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 09:08:29 AM »

Hope says that a DFO officer has already spoken to him about his fishing techniques, and that he is aware of what he did wrong.

Sounds like they really threw the book at him  ::)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 09:46:46 PM »

We are all heroes and know everything.
Id get fried for some of the pics that we used to take of Sturgeon after lifting them from the water.
It was what everyone did and yes many tail roped them .
I didn't tail rope them because I found it quite easy to steer them to shore with the hook in its mouth for them trophy pics.
Sturgeon fishing has come a long way since then and I would also certainly treat these fish differently ,however,the fish that I caught and released were unharmed as far as I know and showed no signs of distress.
These are very hardy fish and things are getting way overblown here.

fishingwithjohn

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 01:09:53 AM »

I always remember when I was growing up the TV specials and even pictures roping tails...We've come a long way for the better

riptide

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 05:46:27 AM »

Can't tell from the posted pic but the issue must be with the rope which would obviously cause the problem. The sturg would suffer the same amount of damage by putting his head on the bank versus pulling him into the boat for a pic for a quick measure and tagging. We have seen this many times on this site and other sites and haven't heard much backlash. As mentioned these are hearty fish , they were and are endangered from overfishing not the environment.
Fishing is not a matter of life or death ...it's more important than that

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 07:59:28 AM »

I always remember when I was growing up the TV specials and even pictures roping tails...We've come a long way for the better

Ya, it was pretty common to see a sturgeon roped tail first on just about any show they were fishing for them.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 08:13:24 AM »

Can't tell from the posted pic but the issue must be with the rope which would obviously cause the problem. The sturg would suffer the same amount of damage by putting his head on the bank versus pulling him into the boat for a pic for a quick measure and tagging. We have seen this many times on this site and other sites and haven't heard much backlash. As mentioned these are hearty fish , they were and are endangered from overfishing not the environment.
The weight of the body on the bank "can" crush internal organs, no the shore or in the boat. They are built to float.
It is so obvious when you think about it, but in the past loading large fish onto a boat was normal.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 12:42:19 PM »

They are still using cradles when tagging these fish which is no different than laying on a beach.
What evidence do they have of these fish being damaged internally by beaching them?
Im calling BS on that one.
Putting my helmet on now...........