Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano River coho salmon fishery reopens  (Read 5174 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Capilano River coho salmon fishery reopens
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2020, 12:44:39 PM »

There is a pound net being proposed at the Chilliwack Lake outlet for the sockeye fishery. It's not a terrible idea.

Real shame to think 50k is enough to sustain a food fishery.....

The same could be said by other user groups about the Chilliwack River fall coho salmon fishery if that's the case. How many wild coho salmon return to the system, unlikely close to as many summer sockeye, and how many are repeatedly caught and released while hatchery coho salmon are selectively harvested? I think a sustainable summer Chilliwack Lake sockeye food fishery can be achieved. We'd rather see that than a mixed stock fishery in the Lower Fraser River.

stsfisher

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2020, 01:02:14 PM »

There is a pound net being proposed at the Chilliwack Lake outlet for the sockeye fishery. It's not a terrible idea.

The same could be said by other user groups about the Chilliwack River fall coho salmon fishery if that's the case. How many wild coho salmon return to the system, unlikely close to as many summer sockeye, and how many are repeatedly caught and released while hatchery coho salmon are selectively harvested? I think a sustainable summer Chilliwack Lake sockeye food fishery can be achieved. We'd rather see that than a mixed stock fishery in the Lower Fraser River.

oh I'm not trying to start a debate over it.
Personally I spend more time on Chilliwack Lake than I would like to admit, and I have not seen numbers other than 1 year since 1993 that would a suggest take fishery should been considered.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 01:04:02 PM by stsfisher »

Robert_G

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2020, 08:16:40 PM »

The law says FN get priority access and FN have been pushing to fish in the Tribs. So nothing would surprise me.

Step by step....the sporties just keep getting pushed out of the fishery.
As for the Natives fishing the hatchery tribs…..I said it already 10 years ago that this would be near future.
We're only a few years away before the sporties are paying the Natives to 'guide' us or 'give us passage' on the local salmon streams to fish for the crumbs that are left.
Canada.....the great country of equality.....nope.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2020, 08:49:35 PM »

Step by step....the sporties just keep getting pushed out of the fishery.
As for the Natives fishing the hatchery tribs…..I said it already 10 years ago that this would be near future.
We're only a few years away before the sporties are paying the Natives to 'guide' us or 'give us passage' on the local salmon streams to fish for the crumbs that are left.
Canada.....the great country of equality.....nope.

yep

avid angler

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2020, 10:43:24 PM »

I thought the whole point of the agreement with FN getting the excess hatchery fish was to allow the sports fisherman to have a fishery and to keep nets out of the hatchery tribe. Although for the last decade the chehalis has been netted off in the summer more often then not. Last year saw decent fishing because the net that’s normally strung across the mouth wasn’t there the whole summer.

To have a target fishery on the chilliwack for the 1000ish Chinook that come back hardly seems like it would be the worth the time and effort for FN to even bother. Even for sports guys this is a more difficult fishery then winter steelhead at the best of times.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2020, 10:21:27 PM »

I thought the whole point of the agreement with FN getting the excess hatchery fish was to allow the sports fisherman to have a fishery and to keep nets out of the hatchery tribe. Although for the last decade the chehalis has been netted off in the summer more often then not. Last year saw decent fishing because the net that’s normally strung across the mouth wasn’t there the whole summer.

To have a target fishery on the chilliwack for the 1000ish Chinook that come back hardly seems like it would be the worth the time and effort for FN to even bother. Even for sports guys this is a more difficult fishery then winter steelhead at the best of times.

Just to be clear, it's the Chilliwack Lake sockeye being considered for the FSC fishery in the discussion earlier, not the chinook stock.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2020, 09:58:49 AM »

👍
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.