Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Springs at furry creek  (Read 8463 times)

pkan

Springs at furry creek
« on: July 15, 2014, 03:40:06 PM »

I was once at furry creek and witnessed a fisherman who caught a 20+ lb spring off the shore (he was wearing hip waders).  Any advice on when the springs are in that area, and what kind of lures they would be biting on?
Thanks, Peter.

MetalAndFeathers

Re: Springs at furry creek
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 08:00:45 PM »

When was that?

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 08:19:23 PM »

I have hooked them from shore around there when fishing for pinks around the end of july. Hooked on the usual pink salmon spoons. Although theres not many there, they are there.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 08:25:15 PM »

My wife got one fishing off the beach there years ago, same on a pink lure while targeting pinks
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 08:35:29 PM »

I lost one while pink fishing last year.He snapped the line 2 feet away from me.

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 08:36:58 PM »

Got one last year fishing a pink and silver blue fox spinner, completely caught me by surprise. I think they're more of a by-catch when fishing pinks than anything else. Though I have had a few buddies telling me that using big blue and silver gibbs koho spoons can be productive for them if there is a school coming by.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 08:39:59 PM »

^
          l
x2
Yup big Kohos in green/silver.Ive fished with the locals for them before but they are actualy very hard to catch I dont realy bother fishing them but i do get them as by cath while fishing pinks.

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 08:42:59 PM »

It's always a nice surprise to feel a fresh chinook just peeling line off the reel. Wakes you up thats for sure.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 08:53:16 PM »

90%+ of the springs in the top end of Howe Sound are headed for the Squamish. Just check the fish reports from Sewells and other places for when the fishing is productive at Brittania Beach and McNab Creek then you'll know when to give it a shot.Generally now through August is when they run. Usually peaks about the last week of this month.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 09:29:07 PM »

I have hooked many of them on the Squamish while fishing for pinks. Sure were a panic on a 5wt !!!!

I even almost landed one, it was almost to hand until I moved my feet and it decided F this and headed for the ocean faster than I have had any fish go before or since  :o
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 09:50:03 PM »

I have hooked many of them on the Squamish while fishing for pinks. Sure were a panic on a 5wt !!
That must have been quite the fight on a 5wt haha

90%+ of the springs in the top end of Howe Sound are headed for the Squamish. Just check the fish reports from Sewells and other places for when the fishing is productive at Brittania Beach and McNab Creek then you'll know when to give it a shot.Generally now through August is when they run. Usually peaks about the last week of this month.
Thanks for the info Ralph, ,might be worth some time when I head up to whistler this weekend :)

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 08:12:17 AM »

I have hooked many of them on the Squamish while fishing for pinks. Sure were a panic on a 5wt !!!!

I even almost landed one, it was almost to hand until I moved my feet and it decided F this and headed for the ocean faster than I have had any fish go before or since  :o
Wow what a surprise lol.Ive fished the squamish so many times and i have yet to catch a spring.Altough i might have seen one snap some guys rod he fighting it for like 15 minutes and the fish was coming in he decided to land it infront of him so he was high sticking and the fish was like"Nope."and bam broken rod lol.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 08:16:51 AM »

I normally just use 8lb mono targetting pinks.  If a spring ever latched on, I'd probably run out of line. 

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 08:59:32 AM »

I was camping at Porteau Cove a couple weeks ago.  15lb+ jumped clear out of the water, 10 feet out in front of my campsite as I was unloading my boat. Couldn't have been in more than 8ft of water.

pkan

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 10:29:46 AM »

I couldn't recall the date, but it was probably July or Aug a couple of years ago.  The fish was huge, and only bumped into the fisherman as he was walking back to the parking lot.  From reading the replies, I guess it is was a somewhat rare event.
Thanks, All!