Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hopping with jig vs dead floating with jig  (Read 7897 times)

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
Re: Hopping with jig vs dead floating with jig
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 03:42:27 PM »

Ive not had any success twitching jigs in slack water for uncooperative coho.
Gave it a good go today on a pile of fish, could feel bumps here and there and one bite but no luck.
Is this not as easy at it looks? Im wondering what I may be doing wrong lol.

fishtruck

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 05:50:48 PM »

I found that casting out in a pool and let your jig get close to the bottom before you start your twitch(start at 9 0'clock then twitch to 10 0'clock, bring rod tip back to 9 o'clock, follow by retrieve)work best. As most have said before, the strikes have come when the jig is going back down(this causes the jig to flutter). Just be prepared to set your hook on the drop. Hope that helps, but experimenting with different conditions and different styles might bring you some fish. Good-luck

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 06:06:54 PM »

Well guys.

I have never really looked into this before, but figured I would add something else once again to the arsenal. I already "jigged" spoons quite frequently, with great success for coho when others around were not doing well, so figured this wouldn't be much of a change.

Tried it on the first day in a river I've never had luck in. Got 2 coho and 6 chum, all chrome, and within 3 hours. In that same time my trusty spoons, spinners and whatever else I threw hit only 2 other coho.

Then yesterday same thing happened, except this time on a river I knew well. Nothing on spoons, switched to jigs and got 3 fish in 3 casts. It was much of the same throughout the day, and then today the same thing (except fly fishing out does all in this low clear water).

I cast out and start jigging immediately. Modified my spoon jigging technique a little and it works wonders. Cast out and start jig at 9 o clock and up to 12 o clock in a slow deliberate motion, as it's dropping I do a half crank of the reel. Leaved it in the fish's face for longer, and has resulted in well over 20 hook ups the past 2 days.

Only thing I can add to this thread is experiment with colour. Have tried a multitude of different colours the past 3 days, and one always works better than the rest. Pretty much a steelhead intruder tied to a jig, and that's all they've wanted. Been getting coho on other colours here and there, but the one combo is money. Tie up a bunch of different colours and run em all through, if you don't get a hit first 5 casts, I'd change, it's normally pretty quick.

PS... lots of talk of snagging... Out of probably close to 30 fish hooked between Kitty and I the last 3 days, only 4 have been snagged, and they were always chum. From a vantage point, the coho will always move out of the way if they don't want it, whereas the chum never move. On that note, that slow deliberate action I'm talking about hasn't snagged many, but while doing other twitching methods, fast and sharp, short and sharp, fast in general, we snagged more. Important to not set the hook unless to have some pretty good weight and a head shake from what I've found. Every single fish that bit from the vantage point I was standing on was easily noticeable, and always felt like a fish biting. It's not like spinners and spoons where they hit "light" from what I have found so far.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 06:10:16 PM by Every Day »

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 06:13:10 PM »

Thanks

fishtruck

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 06:47:58 PM »

Agree with Every Day 100%. I found that blue and black with sparklies also very productive. And at last light anything with sparklies work well.

Animal Chin

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 10:15:10 PM »

Hey you guys who've had success, do you tie it straight to your mainline? I have a 2-3ft fluoro leader tied to a swivel, do you think the leader wrecks the action of the jig when twitching?

Thanks.

fishtruck

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 11:04:43 PM »

I've fished with and without leader. It doesn't seem to make any difference for me.