Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hopping with jig vs dead floating with jig  (Read 7897 times)

fishtruck

Hopping with jig vs dead floating with jig
« on: October 14, 2013, 11:50:34 AM »

Saw someone on the Vedder Saturday hopping a jig. Seem to hook into a lot of fish,however some seem to be snags. I'm somewhat familiar with dead drifting a jig, what are the pros and cons of each method? I usually short float my jigs because I know that they are rock magnets if you are at the bottom. Just intrigued how others might approach these particular methods. Thanks!

Funeral Of Hearts

Re: Hopping with jig vs dead floating with jig
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 06:10:42 PM »

I drift my jigs under a float with as natural drift as possible with the occasional twitch here and there.

poper

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 07:08:52 PM »

I was out today not catching many but the guy beside me was using a jig with no float,and he was hooking fish a lot more often,but 80% were fool hooked, but he did catch his limt in mouth, he said it doesn't matter if you foul hook a few as long as u only keep the the fish u catch in the mouth.lol,I gues that's true,

aaron600

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 07:20:11 PM »

A bunch of guys were doing that on the weekend at my spot I like to fish. Scared all the fish in the pool so no chance of catching them on roe after that. Whatever helps these guys sleep at night... I always outfish these guys snagging/flossing when I use roe until they spook all the fish from biting.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 07:22:23 PM by aaron600 »

UFC

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 07:41:35 PM »

I find in slow water if you twitch the jig constantly while reeling in, you'll do well with no float. In faster water, suspending it under a float and letting it drift is better.

If someone's snagging a bunch then they are doing more than twitching or drifting it, they are most likely pulling up too hard which obviously would end up in snagging given the hook faces up on a jig.

fishtruck

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 08:35:17 PM »

I know that if I short float my jig, there's little chance that I snag. Since I fish mostly lower part of vedder by canal
, what I worry about is snagging a fish ,then releasing it and have that fish die before it has a chance to get up river to do it's thing. It just doesn't make enough sense for me to start that method, even if I catch more fish. I'm happy catching less if  it means that I don't foul hook them. That doesn't mean that all who fish that style are snagging them, it's just that I prefer to avoid snagging them if at all possible.

fishtruck

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 08:39:10 PM »

I also read that Bent rod also suggest  you twitch it a little every so often while dead drifting. I guess it creates more of a pulsing action on your jig.

bunnta

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 08:57:21 PM »

hopping jig is a killer for chum. Although i never done it in vedder but u'll rarely foul hook, I had a 100% no foul hook short floating last year hopping the jig. Now, if ur fishing a pool with other species that are all over the place like pinks....u might just foul hook them. I haven't tried jig fishing in vedder for coho but i should try one day as i've caught coho in other lower mainland flow dead drifting and occasional twitch when im targetting coho.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 10:12:57 PM »

I have been twitching jigs for more than a decade and I very rarely snag a fish.  I like to give it a quick SHORT snap, it will cause the jig to jump up maybe 12 inches then sink again...I think this eratic action triggers strikes.  If your stroke isnt too long, then while you may bump a fish, the hook wont penetrate.  Its much like buzz bombing, the fish almost alway hit on the fall and then its an immediate hook set on the next snap. 

on a side note, I have only ever hooked a chum floating a jig.  i usually use jigs in pools/frog water and float roe in runs with good flow....

fishtruck

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 11:36:00 PM »

I'm thinking that if you don't pull on every little twitch and be more aware of what a real bite feels like, the chances are greatly reduced for snagging.

dave c

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 09:38:35 PM »

I was at the canal the other day, fishing was good, but after the tide the fishing slowed quite a bit.  The odd fish was taken on spinners but for the most part the fish were ignoring roe.  I had a couple hatchery caught on roe and decided to short float a jig since nobody else was.  In faster water the jig naturally pulses and moves vertically with the riffles but in the flat water of the canal the motion isn't the same.  I tried a couple dead drifts with no touches.  I then dedided to impart some motion to the jig.  Since i was using my CP I would quickly brake my reel every 5 seconds or so.  I was instantly into fish.  In the next 10 drifts i caught two coho and a chum.  It was this post that made me think of trying it.  Glad I did. Thanks for the post.

zap brannigan

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 12:07:41 AM »

never thought of braking the pin with jigs, gonna have to try that out.

dave c

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 12:28:45 AM »

never thought of braking the pin with jigs, gonna have to try that out.
Started by flicking the tip then realized braking accomplishes the same thing without as much effort.

fishtruck

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 08:24:27 AM »

I landed a hatch coho Wednesday by twitching a jig in dead water. Same as what most have said, tried something different and the fish hammered it. As I was leery of snagging one, all I had to do was make sure that the fish was indeed on before I set the hook instead of pulling on every bump. Since I wasn't on the bottom that wasn't too hard. There were several times when a fish would come to explore, and nudge or slap the jig as it was leaving. But if you let the fish take it and make sure, then you shouldn't have a problem.

gmachine19

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 12:38:32 PM »

Just tried twitching jigs today at the canal. Hooked into lots of fish better than short floating jig. Then I hooked into a chum and snapped my rod tip like it was tooth pick! Either way, I landed the chum and killed him. His on the smoker now!
You should've been here yesterday!