Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help with birds nest problem Daiwa Luna 300  (Read 9690 times)

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
Re: Need help with birds nest problem Daiwa Luna 300
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »

Having had these problems in the past I feel the pain.  The advice given by others is excellent.   Interesting that nobody mentioned adjusting the anti-backlash setting.   I have always found the instructions so cryptic I just tried various settings and get bye but I have never known if I was doing the best thing.   

Anybody with guidance on how to set the anti-backlash on the Daiwa Luna?

TNAngler

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 12:46:23 PM »

One other thing to check is making sure that the lighter lure is adding enough tension to the line coming in.  If the line isn't tight coming in you are just asking for problems too.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 05:48:46 PM »

Maverick while you make a good point about the line possibly not lining up, you are actually adjusting it the harder way. easiest way to get your pawl to line up again is to take out the pawl itself, strip off several turns of line to make sure its following the line side to side, then replace the pawl and its cap and your good.

tip - place the pawl in and strip a bit of line to make sure you got it into the teeth going the right direction otherwise you will be making things even worse. then just put the pawl cap back on

Vagabond - you mention Anti-backlash setting. Do you mean one of those goofy Abu's with the anti backlash gizmo or are you talking about the spool tension knob on the side of the reel ? the tension knob has been mentioned many times in this thread

My dad and I both have an anti-backlash Abu but we don't use it and just thread the reel regularly. We did however test it out when we first got them and they decrease your cast distance greatly
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

cabro

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 01:57:30 PM »

After reading through all the advice in this thread i'll definitely be changing my technique a little as the Luna 300 is definitely not as forgiving as the Abu Garcia 6500.

1) I'll leave 1-2ft. of line from my rod tip to the spoon. I was reeling it pretty much right to the tip before
2) I had the spool tension set so that the lure wouldn't drop unless I flicked the rod lightly (as per the Abu Garcia manual, Daiwa didn't mention any tips on setting this). After watching a few videos, i'll loosen this up so it's a fairly quick drop
3) My casting technique was to really whip the rod, instead I will gradually accelerate the cast
4) Spool might be a little full, i'll strip some line off
5) Guy from Berry's Bait & Tackle said to unscrew the side plate and tighten up the backlash control system until I get more used to the reel

Can't wait to get out there this weekend and give it another go. Hope the weather clears up even a little bit. :(

brownmancheng

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 04:44:45 PM »

More I use the reel I learn how it's all about finesse. Cast just As far with a light swing

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 08:48:59 PM »

Another thing is to maybe consider trying a different line.  I started with Maxima, like everyone, and then I was told to try Stren and gave it a try and haven't gone back.  It's a much softer line, less stiff than the Maxima and found that it didn't birdsnest as much.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 09:47:07 PM »

Another thing is to maybe consider trying a different line.  I started with Maxima, like everyone, and then I was told to try Stren and gave it a try and haven't gone back.  It's a much softer line, less stiff than the Maxima and found that it didn't birdsnest as much.

I find fishing line that's a little more rigid exhibits less birds nest problems than line that is more limp. I recommend Silver Thread - it's old school mono. copolymer line, but it's the toughest one I've used so far!

However, it's very important to adjust your brake settings correctly. It should be adjusted that your lure falls to the ground without excess line popping out of the spool like a minor birds nest.