Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye Still Coming In Strong  (Read 32125 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Sockeye Still Coming In Strong
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2010, 02:35:44 PM »

I do have a 12' aluminum, but my experience on the river is minimum.

The times i have been on the river with my boat, it was at peg leg and it really wasn't worth it because everyone else has a 12' aluminum and came over to the other side and it was the same gong show as the non boat side.

I guess my problem is that the only real experience i've had is at peg leg.  I had a friend living there and he asked me a few times to come up there years back and we hit the sockeye pretty good.

It turned me off river fishing for years tho.  I still love the lakes and thats the majority of the fishing i do.  No crowds and you really get the nature experience.

I hate to say i'd like to capitalize on the sockeye run just for the meat.  I do love the fishing and if i do get skunked, no biggie.  Again...it boils down to putting in the time and actually doing some fishing.

You don't catch fish while mowing the lawn at home or fixing the fence! haha

e mail sent with two locations to check out.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2010, 03:16:51 PM »

Went to cleanup around Gill and gets some tins, the only thing good about this activity in my mind it yields lots of recyclables for us dumpster divers. ;D ;D ;D

Went to the one spot where they are really hauling them in, to change a couple of garbage bags and throw in the offal from cleaned fish as it is getting very smelly there and the guts are good for river fertilization too.

Sockeye were hit the beach one after another and one guy was handing fish off to others. He was boasting to the fellows around him that he beached  24 to 25 in 90 minutes yesterday. :o  He said he was sending a lot of not so good a catcher home with fish too. ::)

I said "could he catch me one too"? "One minute" he says as he grabs his fishing machine rod and starts casting. First cast, there one" he says gleely, "no it is a snag' he replies, well he said the correct term.  ;D "No only kidding" I quickly said as I continued to change the garbage bag. "They sure are tasty "he says. "I have fish I caught in the ocean so I donot need any I added. I could have said more but left it at that.

I left the scene as many shouts of excitement echoed across the river, I left shaking my head and continued cleaning up some more garbage.

As I side note I have sent an e mail to the president of the FVSS to see if he through his contacts he could organize a cleanup of walk in and boat access bars after sockeye mania is over as most of the people will disappear leaving the mess behind and will only return in 4 years time during the next sockeye opening.

I will attach the note later, if they donot I may try to find the time to do it and I am sure we will be able to get a few to join in from FWR.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 03:20:12 PM by chris gadsden »

BBarley

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2010, 03:26:14 PM »

Hey Chris,

Is that big pile of shotgun shells still at the west end of Gill where everyone is fishing? Couldn't believe the amount of crap I saw in the few hours I fished there last week....

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2010, 03:41:58 PM »

Hey Chris,

Is that big pile of shotgun shells still at the west end of Gill where everyone is fishing? Couldn't believe the amount of crap I saw in the few hours I fished there last week....
Several sites along the Fraser like that. Guys shooting clays.

pnKroK

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2010, 04:00:42 PM »

you know...as much as i hate to say it.

Maybe that's what i'll do.  Just walk up to someone and ask them for my 2 sockeye.

Saves me from having to go through the hassle of it all.

Then I can wait for the crowds to die down and get a quiet spot on the river.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2010, 04:57:26 PM »

You can buy 2 premium T-Bone steaks from Superstore this week for $12. No way am I going to pay $20+ for a Sockeye that's been sitting on the docks in the heat and then takes 2+ days to get to Superstore. Chances are it's either old, or it's been frozen once and then thawed. The Sockeye I barbequed this week was bonked less then 90 minutes before we ate it. Cost = $2 for gas + $2 for terminal tackle. That's for 2 fish though.

Ahhh yes,those fresh TBones that were carved live in the back rtoom at Superstore.
Cant get much fresh than that.
Once i seen one escape into the store.
Talk about a bull in a china shop. ;D ::)

pnKroK

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2010, 04:58:19 PM »

WOW

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2010, 06:35:47 PM »

As I side note I have sent an e mail to the president of the FVSS to see if he through his contacts he could organize a cleanup of walk in and boat access bars after sockeye mania is over as most of the people will disappear leaving the mess behind and will only return in 4 years time during the next sockeye opening.

I will attach the note later, if they donot I may try to find the time to do it and I am sure we will be able to get a few to join in from FWR.
Hi Frank,

I notice the garbage issue is getting bad on the walk in, drive in areas for the sockeye activity during this recent opening.

I wonder if the Sockeye Round Table, the groups in the River Manners initiative, or the sockeye study would like to organize a cleanup when the closure comes in.

I know you are very busy but as you have close contact with these people you might know someone interested in putting some crews together.

I am busy with our own cleanup plans for BCRD on the Chilliwack Vedder River in September, Paddle down the Fraser in support of Wild Salmon, BC Senior games and some fishing to tackle this much needed work and it will get worse as the days go on.
Thanks for a response.
Chris

Hi Chris

I will mention it to the group.

The group is large but there are only 4 recreational fishers on it as the rest are DFO, MOE, F/N and the RCMP.  Not likely that you will get any of those folks to come and help although some F/N might if they thought they had caused some of the mess.  The rest get paid and are unlikely to help.

Frank

hanks Frank,

Some of the bar reached by boat only should receive attention as well. A lot of fishing line and hooks around which of course tangles with wildlife etc... I have been cleaning up Maple Leaf Bar but have some more stuff to take off on my next trip.

Maybe you could get the sockeye study group do do a cleanup on Grassy Bar on the last day. If you need garbage bags and pickup sticks I am sure the CVRCS could provide them. I know some at the sockeye study are getting paid so it would be a good chance to put a little back by cleaning it up for a couple of hours. I also think the River Manners group would be a good group to contact by e mail as looking after keeping the environment clean is just good manners too. The key of course is to find someone to head this up, if someone steps forward and they pick a date I will send out a plea for more people to join in. I am sure Jennifer at the Progress will give us a blurb too.

Thanks for working on this and lets hope someone will take this on other than the few like yourself that do these type of things time after time.

Cheers,

Chris

fish007

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2010, 06:39:20 PM »

Hi Chris, Could you please PM 2 locations to me too? I was  not lucky in this fishing because they never on my hook .

Mat9

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2010, 06:59:41 PM »

If possible to get some info on more quiet areas to try, my 9 yr old fishing nut son and I would be very grateful. We went out to peg leg with grandpa last week early am but with no boat had no luck in the 3 hrs that we all fished.

We would also like to give back and help with any cleanup initiatives if you would like to contact us.

Thanks,

Mat and Dad
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 07:06:13 PM by Mat9 »

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2010, 09:13:34 PM »

e mail sent with two locations to check out.

Does this mean there are actually 'undiscovered' locations from which to fish?   I spent a whole weekend a few years back looking and all I found were no trepassing signs and around Hope a multitude of No Parking signs.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2010, 09:17:55 PM »

Hi Chris, Could you please PM 2 locations to me too? I was  not lucky in this fishing because they never on my hook .

Hey Chris why don't you just post where all your favorite flossing bars are? I'm sure there are hundreds on this forum that would appreciate that....      ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2010, 10:25:24 PM »

i was out today.  Fishing had slowed down in comparison to the weekend.  It was still a bit of a crowd.  Nice thing was, I saw a young girl no more than 8 years old picking up garbage.  There are still some decent folks in amongst the dorks.

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2010, 11:04:21 PM »

i was out today.  Fishing had slowed down in comparison to the weekend.  It was still a bit of a crowd.  Nice thing was, I saw a young girl no more than 8 years old picking up garbage.  There are still some decent folks in amongst the dorks.

Good to see. PM's sent to the 2 posts above.

Mat9

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2010, 06:30:22 AM »

Thanks Chris.

Please let me know of any organized cleanups and my son and I will join in.