Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye Still Coming In Strong  (Read 32124 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Sockeye Still Coming In Strong
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 06:58:26 PM »

In all respect, one should not brag about taking a fish that has not bit your offering. ::)

Comm'on Chris, Why should the native and commercial fisherman be the only ones that can brag about multiple fish not taking their 100-500 meter long gill net offerings?

Give the poor fisherman with a single barbless hook and one long leader a break......  Let him brag just a little.  ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

fisher man

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 09:11:14 PM »

In all respect, one should not brag about taking a fish that has not bit your offering. ::)
Great point Chris

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 11:05:03 PM »

Comm'on Chris, Why should the native and commercial fisherman be the only ones that can brag about multiple fish not taking their 100-500 meter long gill net offerings?

Give the poor fisherman with a single barbless hook and one long leader a break......  Let him brag just a little.  ;D
I think I will go and review what you said a while back about the HST. ;D ;D ;D

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 11:06:58 PM »

Won't it be nice with such a huge run of sockeyes that DFO will up the daily limit to 4 like the salt water. Don't cream me for making such suggestion. It is just a thought. It is actually logical. There are enough fish for people to catch, why make them travel many more times costing much money in gas? It is good for the environment too with less trips needed to catch what a fisherman will need to catch. If I want only 16 sockeyes and can get it done in 4 trips, why take 8 trips to get it. It is not unreasonable considering those fishing the salt already have this daily limit. Let's be fair. Just to think of it,  a tidal license cost a lot less than non-tidal too.  ;D

Sadly that is not the mentality of those who choose to participate in a fishery based on greed.  :-\
Actions speak louder than words.

pnKroK

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 09:06:47 AM »

I was at superstore on scott road last night and the sockey were from $18-$22

Not quite the prices I was expecting, but then again I don't really know what good prices for sockeye is?

How bad is it on the river these days?  Shoulder to shoulder, people stepping in front of each other?

To save me the time and stress, i'd rather just hit the store and actually save some money.  Anyone know of some good prices for sockeye out there?

Thanks

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »

$18-$22 seams like a very reasonable price for a Sockeye.
Hardly worth the aggravation time and money it takes to go snag them.

Robert_G

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 09:30:25 AM »

You can buy 2 premium T-Bone steaks from Superstore this week for $12. No way am I going to pay $20+ for a Sockeye that's been sitting on the docks in the heat and then takes 2+ days to get to Superstore. Chances are it's either old, or it's been frozen once and then thawed. The Sockeye I barbequed this week was bonked less then 90 minutes before we ate it. Cost = $2 for gas + $2 for terminal tackle. That's for 2 fish though.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 09:37:35 AM »

You can buy 2 premium T-Bone steaks from Superstore this week for $12. No way am I going to pay $20+ for a Sockeye that's been sitting on the docks in the heat and then takes 2+ days to get to Superstore. Chances are it's either old, or it's been frozen once and then thawed. The Sockeye I barbequed this week was bonked less then 90 minutes before we ate it. Cost = $2 for gas + $2 for terminal tackle. That's for 2 fish though.

Sounds like you're bragging.......    ;D  :D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

pnKroK

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 11:10:02 AM »

how bad is it on the river tho?

Are people lined up and waiting in line for a spot?  Or can i guy find a spot on the river (don't have a boat) if you show up at a decent time (thinking about going saturday).

thanks

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 11:24:09 AM »

Are people lined up and waiting in line for a spot?  Or can i guy find a spot on the river (don't have a boat) if you show up at a decent time (thinking about going saturday).

thanks

The fraser is a massive river. Just like fishing any river in the lower mainland if you go the well known spots expect a ton of traffic. Especially a fishery as easy as this. There are spots that you don't have to deal with a ton of people at you just have to look.....
always a student

anorden

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 12:11:51 PM »

I managed to get skunked last week so the fish worked out a bit more expensive... 15$ for terminal tackle, 40$ for gas and 15$ for a kiddy sized Sockeye from IGA

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2010, 12:16:07 PM »

thanks
I know the spot for you, will PM you later with details, one guy told me this morning when I was cleaning up some garbage and getting plucks he got 25 in 90 minutes. Said he handed the rod off to many who all went home happily with 2 sockeye. ??? ::) :o

andychan

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2010, 12:23:37 PM »

Are any more commercial openings scheduled??

pnKroK

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2010, 12:52:09 PM »

I do have a 12' aluminum, but my experience on the river is minimum.

The times i have been on the river with my boat, it was at peg leg and it really wasn't worth it because everyone else has a 12' aluminum and came over to the other side and it was the same gong show as the non boat side.

I guess my problem is that the only real experience i've had is at peg leg.  I had a friend living there and he asked me a few times to come up there years back and we hit the sockeye pretty good.

It turned me off river fishing for years tho.  I still love the lakes and thats the majority of the fishing i do.  No crowds and you really get the nature experience.

I hate to say i'd like to capitalize on the sockeye run just for the meat.  I do love the fishing and if i do get skunked, no biggie.  Again...it boils down to putting in the time and actually doing some fishing.

You don't catch fish while mowing the lawn at home or fixing the fence! haha

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2010, 01:50:13 PM »

you need a boat to get to peg leg now so it wont be a zoo.the run is growing daily test results are huge in area 12 johnstone st. with weather change to cooler we should be good till labour day.