Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sockeye returns vs pink returns  (Read 5336 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: sockeye returns vs pink returns
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 06:17:57 PM »

Sockeye spend up to 3 years in a lake and spend about the same amount of time in the ocean as Pinks.

I was going to call BS on this but thot I would do some homework first. Never did like the taste of crow. I stand corrected...
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/species-especes/salmon-saumon/facts-infos/sockeye-rouge-eng.htm

Although I will add that they 4 year cycle is dominant.

NFM

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 10:15:16 PM »

Most of the salmon sushi you eat from Japanese restaurants are farmed fish, you can just tell by the colour it is orange. Face it we have all seen it, but do we all choose to eat it ? Majority of Japanese restaurants in the lower mainland are Chinese owned and operated and they go cheap and use this fish. If you pay attention to a real Japanese restaurant there salmon is red just like any other sockeye. These Fish are 90 % Russian sockeye and the remaining  10 % comming from alaska . Rivers like the Nass and Skeena sockeye are mainly all bought companies such as Canadian fish who can 99 % of there fish .

randya

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 10:46:11 PM »

I know Hanami at the YVR Airport uses farmed Atlantic, see them carving up the whole fish regularly

Kevgor

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 04:10:16 PM »

Most of the salmon sushi you eat from Japanese restaurants are farmed fish, you can just tell by the colour it is orange. Face it we have all seen it, but do we all choose to eat it ? Majority of Japanese restaurants in the lower mainland are Chinese owned and operated and they go cheap and use this fish.

I wouldn't exactly call farmed Atlantic salmon cheap. it's close to $19/kg retail.  Clearly nowhere near sockeye prices, but still pricey.
Kevgor -

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 04:13:35 PM »

Most of the salmon sushi you eat from Japanese restaurants are farmed fish, you can just tell by the colour it is orange. Face it we have all seen it, but do we all choose to eat it ? Majority of Japanese restaurants in the lower mainland are Chinese owned and operated and they go cheap and use this fish. If you pay attention to a real Japanese restaurant there salmon is red just like any other sockeye. These Fish are 90 % Russian sockeye and the remaining  10 % comming from alaska . Rivers like the Nass and Skeena sockeye are mainly all bought companies such as Canadian fish who can 99 % of there fish .

Depends on where you eat your sushi.
Kirin sushi is all sockeye.