Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sockeye returns vs pink returns  (Read 5337 times)

NFM

sockeye returns vs pink returns
« on: September 22, 2009, 10:45:49 AM »

Hi All, I have been wondering for quite sometime now why the sockeye returns are so low. Yes we have all discussed this before but why is it that the pinks return in such great numbers every other year and sockeye are far and few between ? Don't these fish travel in all the same systems in there life journey ? Everyone has there opinions on why there is no sockeye but why just why is there so many pink salmon and not sockeye ?

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: sockeye returns vs pink returns
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 12:09:22 PM »

They travel through the top of Georgia Strait at different times.

I forget the exact times but I think the pink fry move out around May and the Sockeye move out a few months later.

Also, I believe the last few migrations of pinks have been 'protected' by the use of Slice in fish farms during their migration.

jimmywits

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 04:36:47 PM »

They travel through the top of Georgia Strait at different times.

I forget the exact times but I think the pink fry move out around May and the Sockeye move out a few months later.

Also, I believe the last few migrations of pinks have been 'protected' by the use of Slice in fish farms during their migration.

That is what I have read also, slice was used as a result of Alexandra Mortons warnings of impending adversity caused by sea lice emanating from fish farms.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 08:57:36 PM »

Plus all the sushi is made with sockeye

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 09:48:26 PM »

True enough-but did you know most of the Sockeye served in Vancouver-area Sushi bars is from either Alaska or Russia?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 10:20:08 PM »

Isn't it also funny that Fraser runs CRASHED, but sockeye runs returning to the Harrison are returning way ABOVE what they had originally predicted? Read the DFO pdf file and the funny part is the file states - "this may be caused by different migrating routes." And DFO doesn't think the farms have anything to do with it yet they are still stating that the better runs may be caused by a different migration route  ::)

Hook, Line and Sinker

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 10:23:57 PM »

I'm guessing there's two forces at work here:

First to 'blame' is nature herself - with a return every second year for pinks, the runs have to be twice as large as those of annual species to maintain spawning numbers and resultant number of fish out in the ocean.

And second, it's a question of demand and supply - sockeyes are by far the most sought after in comparison to pinks. Sockeye are worth so much more to the commercial industry and guess what? They receive a lot more pressure as a result.

If pinks were getting raped by massive industrial nets AND they only spawned every 2 years they'd have been the first species of salmon to experience 'wow, weird how they all disappeared'.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 10:25:53 PM »

the way things are going it won't be too long in the future when pink runs will equal dismal sockeye returns as we have been having lately. the only way sockeye are going to rebound to a healthy number is by farming them to sell to the open market just like atlantic salmon. maybe its just not feasible to keep commercial  harvesting of wild sockeyes at all or at least until they rebound back to 20 million fish per year. the backdoor politics and native rights and dfo mismanagement are whats hampering the  returns of the sockeye salmon in the fraser. PS just a reminder that pinks are 2 year old fish and sockeye are between 3-5 year fish. more time in the ocean means the mortality rate is also higher.

I also believe an even year run should be established for the pink salmon as well in the fraser river. This would take care of alot of pressure off other species entering the system. I know that would be very expensive but worth discussion i think.( in other words its never gonna happen) :-[

doja

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 03:49:53 AM »

the way things are going it won't be too long in the future when pink runs will equal dismal sockeye returns as we have been having lately. the only way sockeye are going to rebound to a healthy number is by farming them to sell to the open market just like atlantic salmon. maybe its just not feasible to keep commercial  harvesting of wild sockeyes at all or at least until they rebound back to 20 million fish per year. the backdoor politics and native rights and dfo mismanagement are whats hampering the  returns of the sockeye salmon in the fraser. PS just a reminder that pinks are 2 year old fish and sockeye are between 3-5 year fish. more time in the ocean means the mortality rate is also higher.

I also believe an even year run should be established for the pink salmon as well in the fraser river. This would take care of alot of pressure off other species entering the system. I know that would be very expensive but worth discussion i think.( in other words its never gonna happen) :-[

I too have wonder about stocking even years with pinks being they would probably take quite well.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 07:35:28 AM »

I too have wonder about stocking even years with pinks being they would probably take quite well.

My Dad worked for DFO in the 60s & 70s and back then they attempted to start an even year run of Pinks.
Fry were released into Jones Creek just off the Fraser (feeds into Jones Lake near Hope).

The Pinks didn't take but they did catch some Pinks the next even year in a fish wheel above Hope.
They probably didn't release enough to survive the ocean run.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 07:37:10 AM »

PS just a reminder that pinks are 2 year old fish and sockeye are between 3-5 year fish. more time in the ocean means the mortality rate is also higher.

Sockeye spend up to 3 years in a lake and spend about the same amount of time in the ocean as Pinks.

Spooner

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 08:56:03 AM »

Ive heard of the 6 year sockeye cycle.Could it be that in two years all these missing fish will show up ? ??? ( place twilight zone music here)   

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 10:57:22 AM »

True enough-but did you know most of the Sockeye served in Vancouver-area Sushi bars is from either Alaska or Russia?

Yes true.
And from Nass and Skeena.
Because we whacked our own sockeye already, now we've moved onto other geographical locations.
Once we eat all that, we'll eat sushi with pork.

koko

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 11:31:05 AM »

What about the one in Japan, Newyork or in Hong Kong

koko

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »

Actually most of the sushi is made from farm Atlantic.