Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clayquot Sound in a 12ft boat  (Read 2536 times)

blueback

Clayquot Sound in a 12ft boat
« on: August 12, 2009, 03:06:27 PM »

I'm headiing over to Tofino for a few days with the wife/kids/inlaws for some R&R and maybe some fishing. I was wondering if it would be worth it to bring the 12ft Lund and the 10hp to fish for Coho? If so, anyone with any reports? Locations?Techniques?
Thanks in Advance.
Rob

Davis

Re: Clayquot Sound in a 12ft boat
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 06:32:10 PM »

I just returned from Tofino and can tell you it was fabulous fishing.Springs,cohos and Halis,but is open water and big boats are the norm.I do not recommend anything smaller then a 26 footer for those waters.You could put around in the bay with your 12 footer for something to do or hire a guide,go down to the docks and see all the slabs getting cleaned when your there.

blueback

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 06:41:58 PM »

Thanks, but I know about the offshore thing as I will be doing that later. This trip I'm thinking strictly inshore for coho; maybe bucktailing (if it isn't too early).

blueback

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 10:42:06 PM »

Hey there, any salt fly guys doing anything in Clayquot sound yet??

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 12:39:30 AM »

Can't say about Clayquot but I was just over in Ukee this past week. I was fishing off my pontoon....  :o

We didn't really get into any salmon but some guys were hitting fish while fishing from their 'slightly' bigger boats. Everything I was hearing though indicated that it was still a little early for the inshore coho action. Definitely worth bringing the boat IMO just for the chance that the fish are in tight. Imagine if they were and everyone was hitting them and you had left your boat at home.

PS watch out for the whales  :P
Actions speak louder than words.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 12:54:50 AM »

lol... 50ft, 30ft. Time to paddle back to shore...

blueback

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 08:32:02 AM »

Thanks Biff; my thoughts exactly.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 09:28:36 AM »

Lol biff you should post that video.
That is insane. I love the "I don't think my rod is rated for humpback whales"  ;D

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 10:23:09 AM »

One of my Buddies works for the Evil Fish Farm that lurks in Clayoquot Sound. She takes their skiff out when on lunch break, and has been tagging coho fairly consistently on the fly. Bucktailing her choice often, but has enjoyed some success casting to surface oriented fish.
Better take the boat! Would right suck to witness a school of feeding fish on top well out of beach casting range, and not be able to do anything about it!!  ;)

Good Luck!  ;D

Cheers,
Nog

blueback

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 11:11:58 PM »

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm in Tofino now and spoke to Jay Mohl today and he says its hot out there for Coho right now. We'll see and I'll post a report later.

Robbie

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 10:06:57 PM »

Boss just got back from Tofino and said for a two hour period every day they couldnt even get the herring down before a 'Ho was on it.  And also many small Spring 12' to 20'.

fishing1

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 02:58:02 PM »

Hi Blueback

just wondering if you did end up getting out and if so what the report is as i am heading over that way in about a week or so?

Thanks

blueback

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 03:00:25 PM »

Got back from 'the Rock' yesterday and had a great time with family and all sorts of friendlies from around the world. Parked my camper in a place called Crystal Cove Camground and Resort. Great family/kid friendly place to stay right on MacKenzie Beach; beautiful. As mentioned earlier, I spoke with Jay Mohl and he said it was hot for Coho out there so father-in-law and I launched the 12fter and the the 10hp into Clayquot Sound at Tofino to fish the rising and high slack tide. One of my camping neighbours (nice guy from Victoria) was out the day before with a guide and limited on Coho within sight of Tofino so we decided to try to find where he was fishing by his description. We gave up on that as when he was fishing, it was on the falling tide and the kelpy area he described was under water and we had no sounder and no downriggers  and we could see no one else fishing the area. I noticed a number of fishing boats heading out through a gap in the islands toward Ahousat (sp?) and I knew the direction as I had gone out there with a guide a few years ago. We decided to putt along in the same direction (remember 10hp) and saw more fishing machines along the way. We came past a nice kelp bed probably 6/7miles out, so we decided to try bucktailing the area, but no takers. While doing this we saw another larger (everyone else was larger ;D) fishing boat working the other side of the passage off a nice sand beach so we decide to putt over and try that side. Still no takers with the bucktails so time to switch up to old school gear fishing, with a slip weight, a mini-flasher and a trolling spoon and pops used a hootchie he had luck with from the Queen Charlotte's. After switching we, pretty quickly both got into some smallish ho's (3/4lbs) and some undersized springs. After enjoying this sport for a few hours (with a refreshment or two and a couple of sandwiches) pops gets into a a screamer. This fish made four or so good runs and jumped 3 times before I got him in the net and bonk. All the time we were fishing, the tide was starting to change and this created a nice little seam we trolled along with five or six other boats (as more boats came to join us throughout the day). We saw a few fish jumping in the area (large and small) and the scenery was outstanding. Sunny and beautiful with a nice sea breeze. Pops fish was the only one we decided to keep out of 6 fish to the boat and many more good solid tugs/hits. Great day on the water and I hope to go over to pop's place tonight to eat some of that Coho!! Pop's has some pics of the fish that I'll post when I get them later. Thanks again for the info boys; it convinced me to bring the little boat.