Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soft baits for bass.  (Read 8124 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Soft baits for bass.
« on: April 10, 2009, 08:53:50 AM »

I read an interesting article in the "Sport fishing" magazine ( March issue) on soft baits for bass.  It was very informative.

I have had some limited experience catching small ones flyfishing and by spin-casting a flatfish and I would like to try out soft baits this year either by jigging or using a carolina rig depending on which is most appropriate.    The only thing I couldn't get out of the article are recommendations on what size and color soft baits work best around here.   I think I am inclined to err on the small size with this because the bass I have been catching are pretty small - (at least, the few times I have targetted these).

Any suggestions on size and color would be much appreciated.

PS: I am not interested in any bass debates. I am aware of the issues with this alien species but, since they are there, I will fish for them along with everything else provided it is legal to do so.

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
Re: Soft baits for bass.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 09:04:32 AM »

I went to army and navy and bought some frog soft baits they look kinda big but i was talking to some guys from the westcoast bass anglers club and this is what they reccommended. They also said that the katsie marsh by pitt lake is loaded with some good sized bass

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 11:44:06 AM »

I went to army and navy and bought some frog soft baits they look kinda big but i was talking to some guys from the westcoast bass anglers club and this is what they reccommended. They also said that the katsie marsh by pitt lake is loaded with some good sized bass
Thanks k.c, I was browsing around army & navy yesterday and noticed those frog baits.  Any idea how to fish them ?

One of the things I thought might be good would be to carolina rig a frog bait like that.  If it has some bouyancy it should stay off the bottom and get a nice action with a slow retrieve.  [I have found by accident that slow retrieves seem to work best with these lazy critters.  Articles I have read since then appear to be in agreement with that].

Like I say, I have no experience with soft baits so ideas on size, color and ways to fish them would be much appreciated.

gman

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 02:03:48 PM »

Limited bass experience here, but I have had my best luck using grey plastic tube baits. My bass experience is on Osyoos lake in the summer. Those grey pastic tube baits worked best of all the things I tried. They were about 4" long.

noxcape

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 06:48:33 PM »

that article was very well written I'm a good friends with the author and hes did  a great job as for finding soft baits you can check out riverside in poco or that new store in Langley as they are both going to be bringing a very good brand of plastics also the go to bait for out here is a stick baits called a senko other names for them are sinkslos and trick sticks try them i quarantee you will catch fish on there as for katize its got a great population of bass in it if any one ahs any other questions about soft plastics for bass jsut ask away im alway willing to help out a newbie bass fisherman its all i fish for pretty much and i love it

k.c.

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 09:15:45 PM »

It ir called flipping and pitching you can see how it is done on youtube. You will need a 15 to 20 # main line and a 10 # leader as they hit pretty hard and there are different ways to rig your hook for fishing in weeds and so-on it's pretty cool
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 09:17:50 PM by k.c. »

noxcape

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 10:56:40 PM »

i love pitching and flipping brush jigs with a craw trailer on it into heavey cover for some big largies ive got alot out of katzie that way and a few out of silvermere

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 11:36:33 PM »

Katzie Marsh. Where is this piece of water?  I was at the Pitt Lake canoe rental & boat launch area last fall. Walked through the gate on the right side and walked along a long...long... dyke.  The right side looks to be a good bass habitah with lots of lily pads. Is this Katzie Marsh? Google map does not even name this area, in fact it does not even show it as an area with water. So a bit confused whether it is the place we are talking about. Although I have been fishing for salmon & steelhead for 20 years, I am a total newbie for bass. Caught first two bass ever last year and they were finger size.   ;D  But they gave me lots of thrill (that I finally caught a bass),even more so than any one of the hundred of steelies & salmon I have hooked.  ;D I don't mind tangle with a monster (a bass, I mean) this season.  :D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 11:38:44 PM by Steelhawk »

noxcape

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 01:22:44 AM »

hey steel if you ahve a car topper or even flat bottom boat i could take you out one day adn teach you  the ropes and yes the place on the other side of the dycke is katzie slough

k.c.

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 07:47:12 AM »

that is where the marsh is

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 08:10:40 AM »

Thanks a lot for all your replies.    

i love pitching and flipping brush jigs with a craw trailer on it into heavey cover for some big largies ive got alot out of katzie that way and a few out of silvermere
Thank you noxscape I think you have answered my question. That was an excellent article but it just didn't give me a sense of size and color specifics for this area - it's one of those 'bread and butter' articles I will probably keep going back every time I head out for bass.   So far I have have had two of these magazines out of my subscription and they have some real gems in there - you can tell your friend from me that he does a great job.  I will definitely look at the senko.  

It ir called flipping and pitching you can see how it is done on youtube. You will need a 15 to 20 # main line and a 10 # leader as they hit pretty hard and there are different ways to rig your hook for fishing in weeds and so-on it's pretty cool
I will take a look at that youtube 'flipping and pitching' demo - I often read that people in the U.S use 10 lb leaders but it surprised me that this might be necessary here. The bass here don't appear to exceed 4 pounds here and a 10lb leader is close what I would use for Chums in the fall.    I am not trying to imply you are not being truthful - it's just something I have got to try.  So far I haven't tangled with anything large enough to snap my much lighter leaders.

Katzie Marsh. Where is this piece of water?  I was at the Pitt Lake canoe rental & boat launch area last fall. Walked through the gate on the right side and walked along a long...long... dyke.  The right side looks to be a good bass habitah with lots of lily pads. Is this Katzie Marsh? Google map does not even name this area, in fact it does not even show it as an area with water. So a bit confused whether it is the place we are talking about. Although I have been fishing for salmon & steelhead for 20 years, I am a total newbie for bass. Caught first two bass ever last year and they were finger size.   ;D  But they gave me lots of thrill (that I finally caught a bass),even more so than any one of the hundred of steelies & salmon I have hooked.  ;D I don't mind tangle with a monster (a bass, I mean) this season.  :D
Hi Steelhawk,  I remember we had this discussion last year.  Much to my surprise I was catching more bass on the Pitt Lake side of the dyk ?? Go figure - it didn't look like the same classic bass water as the other side.

I am planning to hit Katzie slough on my rubber inflatable but the access to it appears difficult to say the least.   For want of anything better to do I took a drive out to the area about a month ago and there ares signs marked 'habitat protection area' all around Katzie Lake.  Is it actually legal to venture out there on a boat?   Even if it is OK access appears to be challenging especially when all the black berries are out.  There is a small channel going into that side slough but a) that may be covered in thorns come the summer and b) its on the park grounds and clearly not intended as a launch spot - is hauling a boat through there allowed or any of the side channels allowed? [ At least...there are no signs saying it's not but its its not good to attract negative attention if you know what I mean].

Silvermere Lake is even more confusing because I keep hearing it recommended as a great bass lake even in that magazine but it is surrounded by very many unfriendly signs with dire 'no tresspassing' warnings.    Much as I hate private property on what shuold be public water I treat that with respect and generally avoid it.

Sorry guys - drifting off topic here but all your answers were food for thought  :-\

« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 08:14:27 AM by fishseeker »

k.c.

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 01:10:50 PM »

try hatzik lake as well

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 02:20:55 PM »

Don't forget chartreuse.  Ever !!!  ;)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 10:18:05 PM »

I checked out those youtube videos and the general recommendation for newbs like me appears to be darker colors for overcast or muddy conditions.  Ligher colors like chartruese for sunny days and/or clear water conditions.  The flat fish I was using last year I guess was close to chartruese (Yellow with black spots) and they were slamming that so, chartruese, absolutely - thanks marmont.

I know about Hatzik lake but I haven't tried it yet.  Will definitely be heading out there.

noxcape

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 11:36:08 PM »

hey fish if you ahve room for another in that inflatable let me know ill meet you out at katzie one day and give you a leason on bass in bc lol i love bass fishing i ahve like 10 tackle baxs full of tackle and well its pretty much all i fish for there are soem monster mean like 6 pounders in katzie