Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soil testing and applying for creek relocation  (Read 1631 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Soil testing and applying for creek relocation
« on: January 25, 2008, 08:40:03 PM »

Hi,  just wondering if anyone here work for company that would test for farm soil quality and for pollutant.

Also does anyone know who to talk to for applying for creek relocation on farmland?  (Neighbours' has their creek moved to farm parimeter.)

Thank you

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: Soil testing and applying for creek relocation
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 07:25:44 PM »

Why exactly do you want to relocate the stream?  Is that you want more useable land?  It can be an expensive and tricky proposition.  It involves two or more land owners, proper design and construction methods as well as fish exclusion methods.  Also, take into consideration, that if things aren't done perfect, bad things can happen (washouts downstream, unintended channel migration, etc). 

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 10:59:57 PM »

The creek for a good portion of the block is flowing in the ditch along the roadside.  This parcel is still mostly treed, and it's the only one with the small creek still flowing through it.  So if I can't find answer here I guess knocking on those neighbours' door and ask how they did it would be the way to go.

PS this is not a fish bearing creek it's not classified as yellow or red.  Calling it a creek may still be over rated. 

river walker

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 12:17:15 AM »

chances is is a salmon bearing stream.  Just laking of fish coming back..  it flows in to others that do i bet,
caution  must be takren when dealing with  habitat and flow..
 I think i know what your talkin about !
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 01:08:09 AM »

I don't think you do know.  Ultimately the creek flows into the Fraser  But with 7 months of dry bed and 1ft width 2 inches deep for 4 km oh and not to say 4 in pipes through cross roads... hmm.

Like I said, the creek has been relocated to the ditch along roadside uphill and downhill of the property.  This property was not developed and therefore it's the only section still with the creek flowing 20m into the property and then back out into the ditch.

Anyways, I guess it's door knocking on the neighbours.

river walker

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 01:16:35 AM »

where do to think it all ends u?p ?? details !!!! will give support it needed , , so will lots of guys im sure ,  im all game for helpin a habitat .. i know of 6 or 7 that are spent scince i was ten!!  then again ive seen lots more coho in a bigger slough that never had anything but huge cutts
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 03:43:54 AM »

Your a funny guy RW.  What you are saying is basically all ditch in Abbotsford and Chiliwack in fact even all sewers need to be protected cause it all flows into a fish bearing water body eventually.   ::)  Oh crap a cutty just swam up my sink.....   :D ;)