Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has the tailings pond spill changed your outlook on Sockeye?  (Read 13504 times)

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
Re: Has the tailings pond spill changed your outlook on Sockeye?
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2014, 02:26:09 PM »

I don't understand the theory behind these tailing ponds.  The heavy metals etc in the pond will last forever.  The dam won 't so what is the retirement plan for the pond?

If the darn things fall down on their own one wonders how secure they would be if a modest earthquake came along.  I have always wondered about the other huge tailing ponds hanging above the Fraser and other waterways.

TheFishingLad

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2014, 03:43:46 PM »

I don't understand the theory behind these tailing ponds.  The heavy metals etc in the pond will last forever.  The dam won 't so what is the retirement plan for the pond?

If the darn things fall down on their own one wonders how secure they would be if a modest earthquake came along.  I have always wondered about the other huge tailing ponds hanging above the Fraser and other waterways.

They add chemicals over time to neutralize the bad stuff.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2014, 03:48:01 PM »

In a Fed Pen the guards are smart enough to build proper security fences.
They do not reason the average inmate is 6 ft so we will build a fence 10ft tall & stick razor wire at the top.
No they build a 20 ft fence with razor wire & 30 ft away build another fence with razor wire.
Plus guard towers,night lights & security veicles driving about. Containment.

Even with all that security inmates have escaped. You would be surprised at the ingenuity of inmates behind bars.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2014, 04:17:47 PM »

Even with all that security inmates have escaped. You would be surprised at the ingenuity of inmates behind bars.
How true.
They have lots of time on their hands to be creative.
Nevertheless in a high security prison possibly 1 may escape & the other 99 attempts they get nabbed.
Min. security prov. jails with no fence ( honor system ) escape is near 100%.

Saying that AaronWilde made the point & myself asking "Where are the back up plans should there be a break?"
There were zero.
Say again that there via common sense should be 2 walls of dirt & main pipe(s) & pumping stations to divert any break into another back up pond.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2014, 06:53:22 PM »

The telling story to me was the interview with the former tailings foreman.Due diligence?Hardly.This guy begged for the right thing to be done.Squat was done.Criminal is the only word.What other time bombs are ticking in our province thanks to greed and an unwillingness by the authorities to act?
Riverman

arimaBOATER

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2014, 01:07:42 AM »

The telling story to me was the interview with the former tailings foreman.Due diligence?Hardly.This guy begged for the right thing to be done.Squat was done.Criminal is the only word.What other time bombs are ticking in our province thanks to greed and an unwillingness by the authorities to act?
This post "hits the nail on the head" (every pt. stated is so true )
Well put Riverman.
Al

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2014, 08:56:22 AM »

I've heard that the chiefs of the SECWEPEMC tribes have issued a notice to their people yesterday and asked them to stop fishing immediately. This is due to the chemical reaction in the fish caught over the last few days where the skin is peeling off and flesh is disintegrating. They have also asked their people to destroy all fish that they've caught over the last couple of days because of contamination and health concerns. I haven't seen the notice myself but heard it from a source who works in the Northern Shuswap area.

http://shuswapnation.org/news/

https://www.facebook.com/UBCIC/posts/817603198270259
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 08:58:13 AM by RainbowMan »

islanddude

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2014, 02:05:52 PM »

Lots of these disasters due to resource extraction have happened in third world countries. Oh "sorry" I forgot we are one.

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2014, 12:24:26 PM »

Apparently Imperial actually doesn't have any insurance. Yes Islanddude the way we approach resource extraction looks very much like a two-bit Banana Republic.

http://commonsensecanadian.ca/REPORTED_ELSEWHERE-detail/oops-mount-polley-owner-may-environmental-insurance/