Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Boat Advice  (Read 20667 times)

fullahead

Re: Fraser Boat Advice
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 06:51:07 AM »

I have been a towboat Skipper, on the Fraser River for thirty years. You have to have a lot of respect for the river, you can get in to problems really fast. I run a 14-foot Lifetimer with a 40 /30 jet. The boat has no tunnel. In the past I have run an 11-foot glass boat, with a 15-horse power motor with mechanical problems, wouldn’t do it again. I have my 40/30 jet winterized and oil change every year.  You can run a 12-foot Princecraft, [ nice boat ] with a 9.9 if you know what you are doing. Be safe out there.

scuntor

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2010, 03:03:19 PM »

azafai, that boat looks perfect for the Fraser or small lakes. I have a 16.5 Lowe Big Jon that is great for the Fraser and it looks similar (the one pictured is more set up for fishing). Nice and wide and very stable. Can fish a few guys out of it and stand up without worry. I have never felt unsafe with it int the Fraser above Mission. I have an old 35 hp prop that gets three guys going on step no problem. Much faster and efficient than my 50 hp (at the power head) jet.

Compared to the other link you have there I would say that they would both be good for the upper Fraser and small lakes but the lower one would enable you to take on some bigger lakes or the salt. The jon boat style of tracker there should cut the waves fairly well if it has the semi V front but I wouldn't want to be out in anything more than moderate chop with the flat bottom.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 06:16:29 PM by scuntor »

azafai

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2010, 01:18:59 PM »

thanks a lot all of you
I really appreciate
I might came some other question
thanks again in advance.

robj

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2010, 08:21:24 PM »

I run a 14 foot Livingston with a 40 hp Merc prop outboard and never had any problems in the Fraser.  Been running that boat in the upper above the Wack and in the lower around Steveston for the last 5 years.  You just have to pick  your weather.  I have also run smaller boats in the upper, but IMO a 14' is the minimum that I would want to run.

Have a great day

Rob. 

marbles

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2014, 07:11:47 PM »

Hi all
I know this an old thread, we're also looking for boat that can do it all but I doubt it possible.
Would. An older double eagle be okay on the Fraser?

TNAngler

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2014, 11:24:53 AM »

Something that I am surprised hasn't been mentioned yet despite being old is it depends on the type of salmon fishing you are going to do.  If you are bar fishing, planning on hauling anything you catch up onto the beach and just using the boat as a transport from launch to bar, that can use a different kind of boat than if you are planning on casting and/or chasing after fish in the boat.  It always cracks me up with the guys in their sled with the build in cabin where they only have a little door to get up front and inevitably the guy up front catching a Chinook and off they go, except no the guy is stuck up front and if the fish decides to head behind the boat, he can't see what is going on and it is a mad scramble.

If you are planning on chasing fish, especially Chinook, I would recommend a couple things to look for.  Easy access with a pole with a fish tearing line from front to back.  A non flat bottom as the bigger fish are going to give you fits with a flat bottom as they will come up under the boat and stay there and you won't be able to get a net on them.

If you are planning on casting from the boat repeatedly, make sure there is open space to be able to do so.  I was laughing at three guys fishing from a sled where the front was unfishable so they were all in the back and they were playing musical chairs as there was only one place to cast from.  A guy would cast from the starboard side, then take a couple steps to the port side, then would take a couple steps aft after the next guy cast so that he was in the aft port side of the boat to crank up and start his rotation over again.  Even two people on the boat would have been a huge mess.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2014, 02:40:22 PM »

Was budget ever discussed?

At the most basic, a RELIABLE 9.9  and a 12ft tinny will get you safely between most shores and bars mid river safely. Provided you use good judgement.

A 14' with a 15-20hp will be MUCH better for just little bit more out of pocket.  Way more space to move about, carry an extra person...

With a 12', by the time you have your gear, your fishing partner's gear and day bag + cooler and other odds and ends it starts to get real cramped, real fast.  14' is just so much better without getting too much heavier or needing much higher HP#s to move you along.

I went from a 12ft to a 14ft + 20hp and will never look back.  But I also trailer my boat, so a 14 might be tough to lift off a roof rack or out of the back of a truck and hook up your motor etc...

Humpy

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2014, 04:00:12 PM »

I'm in the market for a bigger boat, have a 9.9 hp and 12 ft aluminum but have been told it is too small and I'd prefer something bigger and safer so we can have 3 people in the boat. What do you suggest? 14ft? 16ft? Which motor? prop or jet?
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2014, 05:35:02 PM »

Really depends on your budget first.  Then what type of fishing and where you plan on going.  Also, how many people you plan to fish with most regularly.  Kids, tow vehicle, etc...

Jets are only really needed if going into skinny water.  For me, the loss of power, hit to fuel economy and desire to have a more 'jack of all, master on none' approach eliminates the need for a jet.

Humpy

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2014, 06:23:54 PM »

I'm going to send you a pm if that's fine?

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2014, 11:07:55 PM »

word

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2014, 06:48:44 PM »

Humpy

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2014, 07:08:31 PM »

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/4611012747.html
May be better to wait until the off season to purchase.