Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Boat Advice  (Read 20670 times)

speycaster

Re: Fraser Boat Advice
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 11:35:22 AM »

I think the gentleman needs to go and take a power squadron course, don't think I would be getting in a boat with some one that does not know what FREEBOARD is. ;D ;D  Probably does not know what port and starboard is either, maybe we should try for bow and stern. ;D ;D ;D

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 07:40:59 PM »

Thanks for that comment Speycaster. Did I state I had any boating experience ??? FYI I have actually set foot in a real live boat on the ocean a few times in the past. Whilst I do know the difference between Port and Starboard you're right about something - I wouldn't dream of taking responsibility for a boat and passengers with little to no clue and would have taken the Power Squadron course by now had I not been working all over the Island and up in Whistler for the last year. It's kind of  hard to get any regular practical experience if you don't actually own a boat. Don't worry I won't be going out alone but with one of my more experienced and less patronising chums :)

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 08:33:10 PM »

Basically what I'm getting is that I should be looking an aluminum, at least 16', designed for river rather than open ocean and with plenty of HP. Looks like I am going to be saving for a good while longer to get something decent. Further to this does anyone have any advice on a boat setup that would be suitable for both the Fraser and perhaps Burrard inlet / Howe Sound?

speycaster

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 09:16:30 PM »

Glad you are going out with some one with experience, glad you know about the power squadrons. As a past instructor of power squadron courses I highly recommend taking basic boating. Seen too many dead bodies of people that lacked the skills to operate the equipment that they had bought. Many people get caught in bad weather in boats and do not know what to do when this occurs. Remember every thing that happens and learn from the mistakes, every one makes them it is jut that the more experienced boaters can recover from their errors. Those with no experience end up in the water, then the fun of hypothermia begins. ;D

arimaBOATER

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 09:43:44 PM »

Just in the last few yrs.in the area I've heard of 6 boating accidents & many examples of boats being pushed to the shoreline by crashing waves. Sadly some of the mishaps have at least 3 deaths & other examples injuries. This is just some I heard of by chance & sure there are alot more...that I've not heard about. 
Having a safe boat is the 1st step & the other step is to operate it safely. Speed & not keeping your eyes where ya going will make boating more dangerous.
Also getting caught in bad conditions as speycaster says. Good to boat when the tides are high & winds are light. Check the marine weather report & also the tide tables.
Also like to wear amber ski googles when going a higher speed. They take away the glare & also stop the wind from watering your eyes.
As to answer your question...good Fraser & Howe Sound /Burrard Inlet boat ...I'd sujjust a 17 foot Double Eagle or 17 ft Arima with a 70 to 90 hp min.
It's amazing how a 17ft Arima is so much more boat than the 16 but it really is.  We have a 16ft Arima which is good for 2 people but ya have to watch what type of conditions ya go in but am really amazed how safe & stable this boat is. The Double Eagle is also a verystable boat.

rides bike to work

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 07:28:54 PM »

If youre sticking around the chilliwack area you probably dont have to worry about 5 to 6 ft swells.I have a 14 ft G3 aluminum made by yamaha it cost 2000 dollars tax in.I had a four stroke honda 9.9 wich I picked up for $1800 I usualy only went out with one other guy and this set up was fine I could move pretty quick up river.Some of the biggest problems on the river arise from guys going way to fast.Any over two people and we moved considerably slower wich was still doable because I tend to launch near the spot I plan on fishing.ALWAYS TRAVEL UP RIVER TO YOURE DESTINATION.If you have a mechanical problem wich you will at least you can float back down to to launch.I resently sold my 9.9 and picked up a 20 hp jet for $2000 this moves me and three other guys at a real good clip up river . took it out once with a few buddies for a test drive .Cant wait till  june now.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 07:38:57 PM by rides bike to work »

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 09:57:17 PM »

I always try follow that same principle: Launch and go up river to fish.

Yikes - fishing the low end of the Fraser sounds pretty scary for a small boat.

I'm always around the Chilliwack area - and those pesky jet boats sure can throw a wake that keeps me on my toes.

Gas

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2009, 11:16:24 PM »

If youre sticking around the chilliwack area you probably dont have to worry about 5 to 6 ft swells.I have a 14 ft G3 aluminum made by yamaha it cost 2000 dollars tax in.I had a four stroke honda 9.9 wich I picked up for $1800 I usualy only went out with one other guy and this set up was fine I could move pretty quick up river.Some of the biggest problems on the river arise from guys going way to fast.Any over two people and we moved considerably slower wich was still doable because I tend to launch near the spot I plan on fishing.ALWAYS TRAVEL UP RIVER TO YOURE DESTINATION.If you have a mechanical problem wich you will at least you can float back down to to launch.I resently sold my 9.9 and picked up a 20 hp jet for $2000 this moves me and three other guys at a real good clip up river . took it out once with a few buddies for a test drive .Cant wait till  june now.
Do you mean 20@ the jet so 30 at the crank?I had a 30/20 on a 1448 jon and it would just move 2 people upstream.You need at least a 60/40 to move 4 people and a 300lb boat upstream.A 40/30 would doit but you woundn't be going very fast.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2009, 02:29:40 PM »

Rieber quote: "Yikes fishing the lower end of the Fraser sounds pretty scary for a small boat"

Yes it can be. If ya know when to go out then it is quite safe. Low winds & long lasting high tides are the times to hit the lower Fraser.
 Must of been 50 or more boats out at the mouth of the Fraser R. & alot of them were quite small boats ...even cartoppers but the water conditions were ideal most days. (pink run)
When there is heavy NW OR W even SW wind & tide changes it can be scary even in a 20fter near Sandheads!!! Mind you once seen 3 guys in a small rectangle wood boat with oars ...maybe 9ft long 4ft wide with 5 inches free board on the Fraser near Steveston Is.  If a tug went by they would of be swamped. :o
Also on a very high tide a man decided to go out in the MIDDLE OF THE FRASER R across from Steveston Is. in a 10ft pump up air boat. Powered by 2 little oars !!! Ships & tugs went by him within 20 yards. :o (wife & 2 small girls were also in that little boat)
We went over to him & asked if we could tow him closer to the shore (he resisted as maybe he did not trust me...possibly he thought we'd tow them too fast)
Anyways I returned to him a second time & explained that he could trust us & I'd tow them very slowly. This time he said "ok".  Just that with those little oars of his he was going no where fast.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 07:04:34 PM by arimaBOATER »

bladerunner

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2009, 01:19:24 PM »

nickredway just ignore the condescending comments. I guess some were born knowing what freeboard is while most of us schmucks have to learn that. Majority of the people here are generous with their responses so ask any question you want. I hope you find the boat you want.

speycaster

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2009, 03:51:48 PM »

Nope was not born knowing what freeboard is, that is what power and sail squadron courses are for. Knowledge is the difference between live people and dead people. Those who spend the time to acquire knowledge live and those that don't stand a good chance of lowering the population of the earth. Not that that is a bad thing. Fewer people is always desirable.  ;D

azafai

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2010, 08:03:44 PM »

Hi,
I would like to know what would you think about this 17 feet trucker for Fraser R. and possibly for some lakes??
With Fraser I mean mostly the upper part from Langley on.
how safe and practical is this for Fraser and for lakes?
Is it the right boat or it is totally the wrong one?
What consideration and suggestion would you have??
It is powered by a 40Hp motor.

here are some pictures:

and comparing the above the following one as an example:
a 16 feeter with 3cylinder 60HP motor.
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/8420/boatzeee2.jpg
after openning the link please click on the photos.

thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 08:14:14 PM by azafai »

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2010, 09:22:05 PM »

azafai - I think that boat in the picture would be kick azz on Fraser and lakes.

Carpets wouldn't be my choice but that can be changed if you wanted to. Chinook slime makes carpets stinky. :P

I would enjoy the heck out of that boat.

eddy

• Sea Lice? What Sea Lice?
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2010, 07:44:33 AM »

You will need your pleasure craft operator card. The course is on-line and you can can take the test on-line. The RCMP are checking these on the water.

skunked

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2010, 05:18:46 PM »

i would take the test soon if u havent got it all rdy they are going to up the price and it will have 50 questions instead of the 30 or so it did have