Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Boat Advice  (Read 20668 times)

nickredway

• Old Timer
Fraser Boat Advice
« on: December 10, 2009, 09:07:22 PM »

Thinking of picking up a boat over the winter, was hoping to use it on the Fraser to hop around between bars. Any ideas on what I should be looking at?
Many Thanks,
Nick
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 10:04:20 PM by nickredway »

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser Boat Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 06:30:57 AM »

That question is too broad -  you need to narrow it down a bit.

How many people, what species are you targetting, your towing capacity, and the biggest consideration is your budget.

You can go after a $750 12' aluminum with a 9.9hp or up to and beyond a $60,000 310hp, 22' aluminum jet.

Do you want a multi purpose vessel - given our diminishing opportunities on the Fraser?

In the end it comes down to money and how much of it you're willing to commit, only to have is resting in your yard or garage.

There is always good deals in the classified, craigslist, this web site. Heck, I've got a 1448 jon boat with a 30hp and electric bow mount motors posted here somewhere.

For the Fraser - start with an aluminum boat. Power is always a debate - usually prop drive is less expensive to own and operate if you respect and learn the river.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 09:53:15 AM »

Thanks Reiber - don't have much budget, just looking for something suitable to put in the Langley, Chilliwack, Mission, Hope area and get between boat access bars and maybe use for lake / camping etc. To carry 4 max will mainly be targeting Salmon. Can i get something half decent for a couple of grand?

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 10:07:44 AM »

I doubt you will be able to get a decent aluminum boat for less than $5000.

You can look at 15' to 18' fibreglass boats with an outboard between 60hp and 100hp (inboards are too heavy and sit too deep in the water).
Try to avoid 'Deep-V' boats as these are designed to cut waves in the ocean and will sit too deep in the river.

There are plenty around in this price range ($2000).
Look for one with the features that you want (closed-bow, full canvas, kicker, seating, etc).
Wait for January-February for the best prices.

You'll probably need at least a small pickup with a V6 to pull it with.

azafai

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 08:15:48 PM »

very nice thread.

Dear Rieber,
what size and type of outboard engine do you recommend for a 16 to 18 feeter for Fraser River, let say with a load of 5 persons plus gears and looking for a decent speed around 30 to 35 MPH??
thanks.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 09:03:12 PM »

30-35 is pretty fast but quite comfortable. I have traveled at 45 mph up the Fraser but in all honesty I start clenching up - expecially when I'm not the one operating the boat. It is pretty fun though.

It might be pretty hard to get a 16' aluminum boat with 5 adults and gear up the river at 30-35mph without exceeding the hp rating on the boat. Most modern 16' aluminum boats, even the heavy aluminum river boats, are rated at 90hp max - I believe. Probably only rated for 4 persons as well. I think the best you could do with your load would be 38mph - give or take a few.

Heavy aluminum 18' river boats are mostly rated to 115hp max - I believe.

I personally like my boats to be pushed by the max rated hp - sometimes I've over powered boats and while I would never advise it, it is safe if you respect the power and weight. Let's face it, everything has a safety factor built into it.

In my opinion, if you intend to frequently load your boat with 5 people and want to travel up the Fraser at 35mph, then go for an 18' aluminum with a minimum of 90hp and to the max rating of 115hp, if that's what is rated for your boat.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 09:20:04 PM »

Thanks Reiber - don't have much budget, just looking for something suitable to put in the Langley, Chilliwack, Mission, Hope area and get between boat access bars and maybe use for lake / camping etc. To carry 4 max will mainly be targeting Salmon. Can i get something half decent for a couple of grand?

Yes you can find something suitable in aluminum on a trailer for $2000 that will get you around on the Fraser and lakes or camping but it will be and older set-up, 25-40hp - tiller steering and no windshield. This is about the only time of the year that you will find that deal and you'll have to look around for it. That open boat in the Fraser in late fall and winter sucks as well - too cold without a windshield and canopy. That's where Easywater states $5000 for a decent aluminum boat.

You can safely run a fibreglass boat in the Fraser. I've done it several times but I don't like it, Well it's not too bad in the Spring - high water. But not too much fun in August for Sockeye when you want to beach the boat. It sucks trying to move a boat off the bar when it washes up a bit on the bar or tide drops enough for the back of the boat to ground out. You need to pull the boat onto a stick to keep from damaging the hull too much.

island boy

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 01:54:05 PM »

i got a 12 foot princecraft with a 15hp on it and it works fine on the fraser. 2 people max though. on a trailer i paid 2500.
you kill it, you clean it.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 02:49:12 PM »

go to craigslist Seattle click on "boats" then type "sled" into the search.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 04:37:24 PM »

island boy says that his boat is ok for the Fraser R but I assume he boats on the river from Maple Ridge east.  If he boats west of Maple Ridge than he must be extra careful as there are times where the river can be very dangerous for that size of boat.We had an older k & c 13ft runabout fiberglass with a 35hp outboard. We learned to boat the Fraser R. from New West all the way to Sandheads in that boat. When I told a chap about it he said "I WAS CRAZY". Also to let him know when I was going to Sandheads so he could listen to the radio...(waiting to hear about a drowned boater) Recommend min. 16-17ft 45hp 7ft beam windsheild for lower Fraser with good freeboard. Once even got scared(well not scared but ...put it this way "very concerned") in our Arima as we hit 5-6ft steep waves...luckily with the bow ...yes on the Fraser.
Well for 3 yrs we used that 13 ft  k & c  boat with a total of 600hrs on the water & 99% of the time we had no problems at all.
BUT: Aprox. 5x we really feared for our lives !!!  Once coming back from New West travelling west we had these 4ft swells that were going west.  Yes these gentle swells were travelling down the river...then about 1/2 mile to the port side were these 2 MONSTER TUGS going up-river at full power. They also were not towing anything. There must of been 40 5-6ft steep wake waves that came right at us.  Think 80% of the time I  just closed my "eyes"as the waves hit.  3-4 waves went over the windsheild. -- Then with this same boat we were crossing the main river by Steveston Is to go up to Ladner & we had following waves that were in the 4-5ft range pushing at our stern. Literally in a snap of your finger our little 13ft boat was sideways to the waves. These waves were caused by the incoming tide. By instict I turned the wheeel hard & hit the trottle..."just in time". What I'm saying is...be very very careful on this river as it changes like how some people have mood swings!!!! Also get to know the hidden dangers as some snags are just under the surface by mere inches. I know of 2 places where snags are & in areas where there's lots of boat traffic.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 04:55:57 PM by arimaBOATER »

umpo4

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 06:04:24 PM »

Trust me after 40 yrs of river fishing both sides of the border,,,,,SMALL is NOT good. !6-18' is plenty if good freeboard or very flat and /wide . NEVER scrimp on horse power. Spend a few more bucks and save your life. I see just way too many underpowered and undersized on the Fraser,,,,we call them DEATH traps. Its just NO place to take chances.

I run a 17' custom made small sled with a 90 jet outboard ,,,,lots of power and an 88" beam and have had some scary times when those river tugs come by throwing a 5-6 ' wake. BE safe guy..............

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 06:24:17 PM »

Thanks for the replies - can someone explain what the freeboard is?

Nitroholic

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 06:27:18 PM »

Thanks for the replies - can someone explain what the freeboard is?

here

freeboard means the distance from the waterline to the upper deck level, measured at the lowest point of sheer where water can enter the boat or ship

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 07:35:52 PM »

Thanks - will  keep researching and saving the pennies!

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 07:31:37 AM »

Cant go wrong with a 16 ft aluminum and 25-40 hp.

Lund and Princecraft make great boats as well as many others.