Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead fishing strategy  (Read 27706 times)

canucksfan233

Steelhead fishing strategy
« on: March 15, 2024, 06:22:40 PM »

Over 125+ hours of fishing for this stupid fish over the last 3 years and have yet to still get a bite... (clearly doing something wrong)

Curious if you have ever fished the same spot twice in a day, once in the morning and evening if you have seen a steelhead caught there previously?

What's the average time you spend fishing an area? Couple of casts through an area or work it thoroughly?

Worth fishing 2 different baits through the same area? Or just best to move on after you've fished through it?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead fishing strategy
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 06:32:11 PM »

Key is mobility. Don't stay in one spot all day. Make a few cast and move.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 06:53:31 PM »

Curious if you have ever fished the same spot twice in a day, once in the morning and evening if you have seen a steelhead caught there previously?

Yes. Fishing a productive run twice a day is a good strategy. Steelhead will bite at anytime during the day. Timing is everything. Being at the right spot at the right time. The more times you visit a productive run the better your chances of a float down.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 07:01:41 PM by Wiseguy »

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2024, 06:58:16 PM »

Worth fishing 2 different baits through the same area? Or just best to move on after you've fished through it?
Yes, if you know there are fish in the run. How do you know if there is fish in the run? Seeing them roll on the surface or you get a float down. I have on occasion caught fish after changing lures in a run when the first thing I tried didn’t get any float downs.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2024, 06:58:37 PM »

I completely agree with moving. Few casts in each spot and I’m on the move. I’m looking for three types of fish. Mr Angry, Mr Hungry and Mr Stupid. Only ever fish with three things. Pink wool with a Jensen egg. Bait or a blade. I will try the same spots later in the day sometimes.

canucksfan233

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2024, 07:05:52 PM »

Thing is 3 weeks ago I was in a spot where a guy pounded the same spot with roe for an hour straight. He got one after fishing the same area. I fished through that spot, the spot above and the tailout over the course of the hour with a pink worm.

That got me thinking haha

canucksfan233

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2024, 07:07:31 PM »

Yes, if you know there are fish in the run. How do you know if there is fish in the run? Seeing them roll on the surface or you get a float down. I have on occasion caught fish after changing lures in a run when the first thing I tried didn’t get any float downs.

I guess you never truly know if fish are in a run unless they are rolling, but I meant more so of seeing people catch them there previously.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2024, 08:11:45 AM »

Most important over all is to make a good free floating drift with your bait at the fish’s level, especially on the Vedder.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2024, 11:40:35 AM »

Over 125+ hours of fishing for this stupid fish over the last 3 years and have yet to still get a bite

Props to your persistence!

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2024, 03:16:41 PM »

It will pay off.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2024, 04:22:27 PM »

if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2024, 09:47:41 PM »

In vedder, you only had only one chance to be the first one in one spot. By 9:00am, all fishing holes have been checked once.

There is no skill required in steelhead fishing in Vedder. the fish is stupid to bite anything. That is why people are so fussy about being low holed.

The only thing you need is time and luck. I believe if you bar fishing whole day in canal for a few days, you will get one for sure.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2024, 10:00:32 PM »

Steelhead is probably the only fish will bite again shortly after been hooked. Changing lure or even waiting for a while can be rewarded.

A steelhead will almost 100% bite a piece of bait if it was not hooked that day. During the middle of the day when all holes were scrutinized, angler need a little more patience to fish a run. But no need to spend too much time unless people live nearby.

canucksfan233

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2024, 10:32:13 PM »

In vedder, you only had only one chance to be the first one in one spot. By 9:00am, all fishing holes have been checked once.

There is no skill required in steelhead fishing in Vedder. the fish is stupid to bite anything. That is why people are so fussy about being low holed.

The only thing you need is time and luck. I believe if you bar fishing whole day in canal for a few days, you will get one for sure.

So this year I've switched it up and have been fishing mostly afternoons/evenings and have seen more hookups than I did the previous 2 years at first light.

Majority of the time when I've been fishing this season, its been myself and maybe a couple others (but majority of the time myself) in a run/tailout.

Also from what I've heard from talking to people is that the evening bite is pretty decent if you're in the right spot at the right time.

canucksfan233

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2024, 11:13:27 PM »

Also, when you fish a tailout, is there any preference on the top third (chinook type) with faster water versus the lower 2/3 with the slower (coho like?) water? Most of the ones i've seen hooked up/caught have been in the top 1/3.

Side note: tack on another 8 hours with no bites after today 😂