Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing pliers  (Read 6990 times)

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
Re: Fishing pliers
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 07:47:45 AM »

Try and find some stainless steel needle nose pliers, never have to worry about rust.  I got mine at Lee Valley Tools almost 17 years ago and they're still going strong (LVT no longer stocks them). Do some looking around I'm sure you can find some.

X2
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 10:41:35 PM »

"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2012, 08:23:48 AM »

The best pliers are free ones you find by the river :D.I use a se tof nickle plated spring return ones I found while quading a a few years back.They are just cheap but don't rust and usually just a quick dunk and rince frees them up when they start moving slow.If you want high end you can not beat Klein needle nose.Lifetime warranty and have not found anything better for removing pin bones.
Riverman

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, 10:47:45 AM »

Geff, if you don't mind me asking you, why don't you just buy barbless hooks if you like your barb pinched perfectly flat?

I like to leave a bit of a bump on my hook where the barb was...I find factory barbless too flat for my liking.
A confidence issue I guess.  :-[

I use owner hooks and they do not come barbless, and if you get a CO that likes to do the old sweater test, then it is best to have the barb perfectly flat. I know of a least one person that this happened too last winter and he got fined. He even took it to court and lost.

As for the Dr Slick pliers, they are the "Barb Pliers" and are just under $15. They are spring back and come with a wrist strap so attaching a lanyard is is easy. I use a one that looks like a coiled telephone cord that always springs back into shape when streched out. I have not found a better pair of pliers for pinching a barb and removeing a hook from a fish.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Zach Sanchioni

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 11:19:09 AM »

I keep my leatherman on my wading belt in a sheath. Never gets lost this way, use it and put it right back when done. Just like any good tradesman would with his tools. Its used for cutting pencil lead, crimping split shot and what have you. Also carry my Dr. Slick combo forceps/scissors for general use, cutting line pinching barbs ect. It gets clamped on a zipper tag on my coat or other easily accessible area.

lovetofish

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 04:39:09 PM »

The best pliers are free ones you find by the river :D.I use a se tof nickle plated spring return ones I found while quading a a few years back.They are just cheap but don't rust and usually just a quick dunk and rince frees them up when they start moving slow.If you want high end you can not beat Klein needle nose.Lifetime warranty and have not found anything better for removing pin bones.

I agree. I  have picked up 3 or 4 pairs of needlenose pliers on the rivers over the years. All but one pair responded to WD40 and are completely useable.
 I can lose pliers or forceps also and don't feel that high end pliers will last longer or not get lost. That being said, my Leatherman is always on my belt. It is just not easily accessible under my waders.