Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sardis pond  (Read 7884 times)

island boy

sardis pond
« on: January 27, 2010, 05:04:58 PM »

thinking of taking my son to sardis pond for a little fishing next week and was wondering what would be a good set up. bobber, on bottom, spin casting? if anyone has fished there could you help me out. and no we won't be eatting anything out of there.thanks.
you kill it, you clean it.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: sardis pond
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 05:10:20 PM »

A typical float or bottom set-up for catchable rainbow trout should work well. Beside a few dozen broodstocks that are put in there each year, Sardis Pond has not been stocked with catchable rainbow trout in recent years due to the amount of ducks that reside at the pond and water quality concerns.

island boy

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 05:14:32 PM »

thanks for the heads up. any ideas for an afternoon of fishing with a 5 year old out here in the wack?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 05:29:04 PM »

Fished it a lot when I was younger (few years ago).
BIG rainbows in there... if you hit it good you can easily catch 10 or more in a day.
We always spin casted crocs (silver/blue stripe, gold/orange stripe) from shore. Need to be able to cast around 100+ feet, they like to sit in the middle.
Then jig the spoon up, reel in, jig up, reel in, and so on. Hits are explosive. Tonnes of fun on light gear.

Average Size

When this was taken I was new to fishing, so please don't get on me about the glove  ::)

Best spots were under the huge willow tree and the point right out in front of the parking lot.
The backside of the lake was ok at times too.
I normally fished it around May/June and there was always a lot of surface activity.
Seems like the pond has gotten a lot cleaner in the last year or so, not sure if any fish are left after that nasty winter last year however.

Good luck  :)
Dan

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 03:28:04 PM »

Note the signs on the noticeboard in the car park, fishing only allowed for ages up to 14 and over 55.  I'll be trying it regularly come May 20th (55th birthday).  I've also been told there's some nice grass carp in there but I've never seen them.

island boy

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 06:24:43 PM »

thanks bederko.

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 09:57:17 PM »

Any time. :)
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 06:14:46 PM »

That used to be my stomping ground as a kid, as I lived across the street :)

There is very little as far as stocking goes these days, due to water table issues since they started drawing water out of the aquifer... it has messed up the pond big time.

You can catch sunfish in there now, I have no idea who is responsible for that... My brother caught them with a chironomid and bobber while taking a kid out fishing.

His report on the problem species:
http://fishbcforum.com/index.php?showtopic=55231&st=0&p=599317&hl=sunfish&fromsearch=1&#entry599317

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 06:28:40 PM »

I was with a buddy one time and saw a 2-3 pound trout sitting upside down in the water about a couple feet from shore, we picked up a stick and gave it a poke, it flipped back upright and slowly swam away. It was a healthy looking fish.

No body ever fishs that pond, Nicole what street did you use to live on?
The Bigger The Better!

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 06:32:30 PM »

Centennial Drive, A great place to grow up :)

Cheers,
Nicole
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 08:24:02 PM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 06:39:41 AM »

Note the signs on the noticeboard in the car park, fishing only allowed for ages up to 14 and over 55.  I'll be trying it regularly come May 20th (55th birthday).  I've also been told there's some nice grass carp in there but I've never seen them.

You'd have to giove it another 10yrs according to the regs. That water is for 15yrs and under and 65 and older. Or disabled.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 10:31:41 AM »

There are some fairly large carp and suckers in there.
Biggest I've seen is about 8 pnds or so, look under the big willow tree where that water pipe dumps in.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 11:10:05 AM »

Can anyone confirm the presence of Grass carp??