Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: jigs  (Read 9982 times)

devon42

jigs
« on: October 27, 2009, 04:40:40 PM »

i wanna try and tie some of my own jigs and i wanna know what kind of material should i pick up to start, i wanna make some like the bentrod jigs.. I'm looking to make some for chum, and to make some for the coming steelhead season.

Banny

Re: jigs
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 04:58:47 PM »

You want crosscut rabbit strips and Schlappen.  That is really all you need, there are step by step instructions on how to tie them on the bent rods website.

J

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 05:02:22 PM »

you want MARIBOU more then you want rabbit. Rabbit will also work great but maribou is used alot on jigs. and yes Shlappen, Guinea or really any other hackle material will work great for making collars on the jigs

the collar is the last thing tied in by the head of the jig.

main rule of thumb is brighter colour under the darker colour....example- black OVER pink which is a steely nightmare pattern. you want the pink tied in first then the black so the black kind of covers the pink.

take a look at Rods jigs and you will see the majority of them are tied this way. Same way us guys tie flies  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 06:54:28 PM »

Also some flashabou, reflective mylar etc in pink, pearl, silver.  Adds some nice flash.  You may also get bored tieing the same pattern (even though that is all you need for chum) so some chenille is nice to make some wooly bugger type jigs.

whereismyfloat

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 07:31:26 PM »

IMO rabbit is far better to tie jigs with and they will last a LOT longer than marabou. These are all tied with rabbit.   

I actually prefer this too. I use cross cut rabbit zonkers for both colors and it seems to wear much better than marabou. The fish don't seem to care.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 08:17:21 PM »

:P :P can you guys tell i dont fish or tie jigs LOL I have actually only fished jigs a few times. Whenever i tie flies for chum i dont use rabbit because it doesnt go as far as marabou will and the fish dont care. I can get way more flies out of a pack of marabou then i can from a pack of rabbit strips.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 09:52:07 PM »

:P :P can you guys tell i dont fish or tie jigs LOL I have actually only fished jigs a few times. Whenever i tie flies for chum i dont use rabbit because it doesnt go as far as marabou will and the fish dont care. I can get way more flies out of a pack of marabou then i can from a pack of rabbit strips.
  Rabbit is far more durable especially on those teeth from the chum. I only use cross cut rabbit for my chum flies.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 10:43:31 PM »

No offense, but if you don't fish jigs or actually know what works best then why did you post? Posts like this just dilute the quality of our forum, while misguiding the person posing the question.

Back to the original question, I tie mine with a piece of zonker cut rabbit for a tail and then palmer in cross cut rabbit for the body.
Actions speak louder than words.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 11:38:51 AM »

rabbit, schlappen and UV Polar Chenille are your go-to's. You can also cut a pink worm in a quarter, either head or tail and tie that in to the back of your jig.

aquaholic

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 04:58:47 PM »

Cross cut rabbit is by far the best and easiet way to wrap for jigs , when rabbit fur is wet it gives off a great action. Shlappen is ok for collars if you do a pink rabbit crosscut body and a black schlappen collars looks great

slurpie

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 08:35:13 PM »

whats the difference between cross cut and zonker strips?

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 09:21:51 PM »

Strips used for zonkers are going to be along the length of the hide. Gives you a good long strip to impart movement to the fly. If you cut the same hide in a cross wise pattern, then the strips of fur can be tied in and teased backward to give a durable life like body to the fly. That would be my basic understanding of the difference.

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 09:49:24 PM »

whats the difference between cross cut and zonker strips?
You can use both for wrapping palmer style, the zonkers give a fuller body, the cross cut give a slim body.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 10:53:08 PM »

Too bad the jig master Mr. Bent Rod was not here to interject his thoughts on the matter.  But I know Bent Rod jigs are tied up with cross cut rabbit fur for the body. There is a difference, especially when the body will be palmered - cross cut for palmered body, zonker strip for long flowing bodies or tails.

wizard

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 06:17:08 PM »

hi everyone, after viewing without an account for a long time this is my first post. 
...to chime in on "rabbit strip or maribou".......Try using both!  my best chum jig utilises both materials.
first tie in a strip of rabbit.  I prefer purple, white or pink, then tie in some flashabou then tie some marabou of any color over top.  the rabbit strip dangles out the back while the marabou pulsates over top of everything and the flashabou just adds some flash. to say one is better then the other makes little sense to me.  use them both as they compliment each other nicely. 

white rabbit and pink marabuo is my favourite combo...but any combo will work green is good too!