Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First time bar fishing  (Read 1795 times)

robbo1970

First time bar fishing
« on: August 03, 2015, 08:05:54 PM »

So today my four year old and I went bar fishing for the first time. After checking out a couple of spots I'd been told about it became apparent that leaving the truck at work and taking the car was a bad idea.
Anyway upon deciding we needed somewhere car friendly we decided to try Cheam Fishing Village. Upon our arrival the host couldn't of been more helpful, pointing out which way we could drive even that would take us out onto Agassiz bridge bar. Unfortunately the poor vehicle choice stopped us driving along the track, too many boulders sticking up, and having aluminium sump and gearbox not worth the effort.
So we tried one spot in between camping area and point, no luck. We were driving out and I stopped to pay my parking charges, and tell the host we were off and they suggested trying another area on the beach just by some boats. Earlier when we first arrived we told these boats and the campers were First Nations net fisherman, I wasn't aware there was a net fishery in operation, but didn't want to say anything just in  case there was.
We walk down to where we are going to fish and I cant help but notice the empty beer cans and alike left on the ground. I put our bags down to sounds of one guy reaching and throwing up in the bush behind us, this same guy was to make another apperance later but this time was throwing up our side of the bush.
After a short while the net fisherman returned, with there catch of salmon and a five foot sturgeon. Now my understanding is that sturgeon are protected in BC so I was a little surprised when I heard one of the guys asking why the 'fisherman' didn't kill it. About 15 minutes after hearing this my little guy had to use the washroom so of we went and passed by this persons boat we saw it, a chunky five footer just sitting there on the boat in what i can only think must of been the last moments of its life. As someone who sturgeon fishes this I found totally unacceptable.
So all in all even though the hosts were lovely people, the rest of the experience left a bit to be desired. Something more annoying for me is that we will probably end up back there as at least you can access the bar from there.

Good luck everyone, and I hope your day was better than mine.

joshhowat

Re: First time bar fishing
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 09:35:04 PM »

That's sad to here :(
Eat, Sleep, Fish.