Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Horne Lake Vancouver Island  (Read 8308 times)

HereFishyFishy

Horne Lake Vancouver Island
« on: April 29, 2005, 03:10:48 PM »

I'm gonna be going camping at Horne Lake on the Island in the middle of May. I checked the Fish Wizard and it said they just released 15000 Cuthroat trout at the begining of this month.

I only have a 10 ft salmon rod and I don't know much about trout fishing. I will have access to a canoe, and was wondering what kind of rod and reel to pick up before I go. Any other advice for catching trout there would help me too.
there are actual fish involved in fishing right?

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
Re: Horne Lake Vancouver Island
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 04:23:52 PM »

Horne Lake is actually quite deep and it stays pretty cool even in the summer.  May would be a great month so you may want to fish to where the Qualicum River flows into the lake near the campground.  Most of my fishing was done on Spider Lake, but I have seen trout cruising the drop off along the lake shore and there are some old submerged stumps too.  You'll find some very nice smallmouth at Spider and some decent rainbows too.  Its not too far away from Horne, but it gives you another option as well.

As for gear, a medium light spinning rod would work and the old gang troll and worm ususally is a good stand by.  Definitely a 10ft salmon rod would be too big but you can get relatively inexpensive but decent quality gear at most tackle shops.

Good cutthroat bait (for gang trolling) is hot dog - small pieces.  The fish like it and you can even eat 'em too if you get hungry  ;)

Good luck,

GHC

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 07:53:40 PM »

I have fished it a couple times with not much luck. If you get the chance fish spider. Its good even from shore but with a canoe it would be great.

HereFishyFishy

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 07:14:42 PM »

Yea, I am pretty sure I am staying at the camp right where the big qualicum hits the lake. Looks like its time to start a fisihing rod collection.

What is gang trolling and how would I do that?

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 06:18:27 PM »

Sorry for the late reply..Internet down.  Gang trolling is where you use an attractor with a number of whirling blades like a willow leaf troll or a Ford Fender.  They have anywhere from 2-4 blades on them, sometimes more but you can use a fly, wobbler, small spoon or a piece of bait on the end.  It really is effective but its kind of cheating  :P  A perfect way to get kids into fishing cause it fools the newly stocked fish pretty easily.  Anyway good luck to you

HereFishyFishy

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 06:49:25 PM »

I have one of those little inflatable boats with the plastic paddles. Could I use that to troll around in?