Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warm hands  (Read 8295 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Warm hands
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 06:33:19 PM »

Yup I have the newer foldovers. Honestly I don't find them that good in the rain. Light drizzle maybe but if it's coming down I find they lose all warmth once they get wet. I find thick rag wool gloves warmer under such conditions.

I got my waterproof neoprene gloves from Wholesale Sports in Burlington. I forget the brand Icebreaker or something like that. You could get ones with a slip in the finger and thumb so you could fold it back, but then they are no waterproof. I got the ones with no slits, and they are 100% water tight, but are a pain to take on and off if you need to fiddle with your gear.

Silex-user

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 07:22:38 PM »

I bring a thermos of hot coffee or soup, pour into cup and put my hands around...... instead warmth ;D

Silex-user

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 05:49:11 PM »

I just stick my hands in my hand warmer pockets and they warm up pretty quick, even if I'm wearing gloves. I'm a fairly warm person majority of the time but my feet/hands get cold easily. I was told its probably due to having pinched nerves in my neck & back
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

FrayedKnot

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 02:26:10 AM »

I light the closest fisherman to me on fire. Once he is done running around screaming I can go warm up my hands, body, feet and face  ;)

Better watch out this year if you see me with a lighter  :P

Stay away from the freeway bridge tho...

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 08:41:35 AM »

Bahaha! New meaning to the term "roe sack".

That's one of the best I've heard in a while.   ;D

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 07:57:36 PM »

Best trick, Is just go out and let your hands freeze off for the first hour, fight it. Then go back to the car and warm them back up for 10-20 mins. For some reason my hands don't become a problem after this.
The Bigger The Better!

RyanB

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2013, 11:50:41 PM »

Wool is the only thing that works when it gets really cold.  I wear lined rubber work boots plus wool socks to keep my feet warm.

Disposable hand warmers if it gets really cold.  One in the shirt pocket helps keep my core warm too.  And a thermos of coffee.
‘Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard’ - Ron Swanson

Suther

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2013, 11:11:44 AM »

Wool is the only thing that works when it gets really cold.  I wear lined rubber work boots plus wool socks to keep my feet warm.

Disposable hand warmers if it gets really cold.  One in the shirt pocket helps keep my core warm too.  And a thermos of coffee.

Wools big advantage is it is still warm when it gets wet. Cotton (and many others) are not warm once they get wet. Can really make a difference, especially if you slip in the water or its raining really hard.

Tommybuckles

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2013, 10:26:24 PM »

Even though it is cotton a lot of the hyper-dri shirts and tops sold at Marks Work Warehouse stay fairly warm even in a light rain since it does repel some water. I wouldn't rely on them solely but they are pretty good to have under a shell.

norton

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2013, 01:23:54 PM »

I'm like Johnny Canuck . Just keep hooking fish,lol.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2013, 01:46:49 PM »

He just keeps hooking to keep warm. Keep working them streets, Ill keep working the water.
The Bigger The Better!

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2013, 03:16:21 PM »

He just keeps hooking to keep warm. Keep working them streets, Ill keep working the water.

LOL!! :o

I bought the misses a pair of Kast gortex sleelheading gloves for xmas and so far she loves them. 100% waterproof/submergable, pretty good dexterity although you have to take them off to tie knots etc. I think I'll order a pair for myself too. On a pissing rain day like today your hands will stay warm and dry. I like my Simms gloves with the flip back mitt and thumb, but on a really rainy day they soak through and are useless. Wool is better for rain, but these gloves seem pretty hard to beat.

http://kastgear.com/gloves/steelhead-glove.html

Zackattack

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2013, 06:36:13 PM »

cold hands? simple: just light a fire near the highway bridge haha