Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warm hands  (Read 8294 times)

bmynbr

Warm hands
« on: December 08, 2013, 06:42:37 PM »

Just curious to how everyone keeps their hands warm when its cold out.  Plan on doing some steelheading this year and haven't fished the winter before.  Not sure how to keep them warm and still be able to fish?
Thanks, Dave

DRP79

Re: Warm hands
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 06:58:01 PM »

Wool gloves and felt lined pockets.

zap brannigan

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 07:59:19 PM »

I don't use anything my hands are always warm, the girlfriend used zippo pocket Warmers though they work pretty well and keep warm for 10-12 hours if their filled up enough.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 08:29:21 PM »

I don't use anything my hands are always warm, the girlfriend used zippo pocket Warmers though they work pretty well and keep warm for 10-12 hours if their filled up enough.
Ah, I remember those days when I didn't need gloves. :)  Not so any more, my hands are the first part of me to get cold; cold and wet ... I'm done.

sbc hris

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 08:48:29 PM »

I also dont usually use anything. I'm good until it gets well below zero, then I just bring some warm gloves and put them on every once in a while to warm the hands back up. I hate trying to fish with gloves on.

mvelasco

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 11:31:48 PM »

half finger "glacier gloves". they work well in the rain too, kept my hands warm. also the lined hand warmers in my wading jacket hold small heat packs and good for backup and keeping my core warm.

fish bonk

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 09:04:59 AM »

I put a magneto on my center pin. And have a handle bar warmer built into the rod butt. Next I'm going to put on head lights.  ;D

Ambassador

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 12:47:06 PM »

have a handle bar warmer built into the rod butt. Next I'm going to put on head lights.  ;D
Now were talking!
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

TheFishingLad

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 12:59:59 PM »

If no roe bring used, down to the crotch

labmik

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 01:41:31 PM »

I have a propane heater in my drift boat.

Ambassador

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »

If no roe bring used, down to the crotch

Bahaha! New meaning to the term "roe sack".
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 04:49:18 PM »

I just keep hooking fish to stay warm  :P
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 05:25:30 PM »

I light the closest fisherman to me on fire. Once he is done running around screaming I can go warm up my hands, body, feet and face  ;)

Better watch out this year if you see me with a lighter  :P

I wear Simms windproof gloves with or without the finger flaps. I own both types and if its cold enough I will use the flappy ones, both are normally always in my wading jacket this time of year
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 06:13:42 PM »

I bought one of these zippo handwarmers this year. So far I like it but they can be a little quirky. If you buy one watch a youtube video or two on how to ensure they are lit, etc. They are good to keep your hands warm but stink a little bit like lighter fluid. Overall I'd say good for steelheading as they will "burn" all day 8+ hours no problem.

Other that that some things I've found is to keep your body, especially your core, as warm as possible. If you are toasty warm then your hands will likely be fine too, however if you are cold then your body will reduce blood flow to your extremidies and then it will be very hard to keep your hands and feet warm.

For cold and dry weather I like my Simms windstopper gloves. You can fold back the finger mitt or the thumb if you need to tie a knot etc. However these gloves suck in the rain. Better to use thick wool gloves when wet. If super miserable out I will wear fleece lined waterproof neoprene gloves - they're super warm and dry! However a big pain to take on and off.

The Kast Steelheader gloves are suppoused to be awesome. EXPENSIVE but perhaps you get what you pay for. I bought a pair for an xmas present and if the receiver likes them I'll likely buy myself a pair too.

http://kastgear.com/gloves/steelhead-glove.html

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »

SS - do you have the newest version of the Simms gloves ?? grey/black

I have a set of the older ones and yes they are a thicker fleece and suck in the rain big time. The newer ones however are very good in the rain. They don't stretch out or get water logged like the older type

Foldovers - http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/socks-gloves/windstopper-foldover-mitt.html

finger tipless - http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/socks-gloves/windstopper-half-finger-glove.html

they also now make a wool glove for the wool loving - http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/socks-gloves/wool-half-finger-glove.html
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/