Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boat Launches  (Read 5272 times)

No_way

Boat Launches
« on: September 24, 2005, 04:27:36 PM »

Hi all,

I'm just wondering where you people would suggest to launch a boat to fish Indian arm?  It's a 14.5' fiberglass.  I've heard that some places are a lot of hassle because of traffic and/or needing the proper tides.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Boat Launches
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 04:47:27 PM »

Cates Park

Mabelingwane

• Mabelingwane Hunting safari's
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 06:27:06 PM »

Cates Park, I agree. Wide ramp and plenty parking.
A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him... but a man of strength gives the best of himself to everyone.

Nikko

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 07:58:03 PM »

Cates it is, but mind the tides. The ramp is shallow to begin with and flattens out at the bottom. It's a real pain to launch in anything near a 4' tide and even a 5' is pushing it. Stay away from the lane closest to the jetty as it has a trailer-eating  hole in the bottom end and stay away from the one farthest fom the jetty as it's covered in rocks near the bottom. The other three are fine at a low tide (more than 4') and any one of them is fine if the tide is 7' and above.

Iif you come back near dinner time allow extra time as the place turns into a gong show.

This link will give you the tides at the ramp, or close enough anyways:

http://www.irbs.com/tides/locations/1355.html

Oh..and don't forget to pay your $10, though after I just read my description of the condition of the ramp I wonder where the $$'s going?

Let me know how you make out. I was up yesterday looking around and saw one small (blue) boat on the flats but even the seals looked bored.

Good luck!
Nikko

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 01:57:55 AM »

Go to end of Panorama Dr in Deep Cove. You can launch your boat there but you'll need to park on the side of the road, can't park in the parking lot unless you are a member. (launching boat is okay) The ramp is steeper than that of Deep Cove and you save sometime cruising up from Cates. 14' is still a good size to launch there but not recommanded for bigger boats.

No_way

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 10:51:00 PM »

Thanks a bunch guys!

Me and my old man went out there to check out both those launches.  It looks like Cates Park is the winner for us.  $10 to launch, park and there is a flushing station!  It's just a nice park too; never been that way before.

Now, I know that trolling for salmon can be good at times in Indian Arm, but what else is worth the time?  Cods? I know lings are off limits.  Flounders?  Any suggestions?

Thanks again, you people are great.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 11:01:43 PM »

Try crabbing.

No_way

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 11:15:09 PM »

Try crabbing.

But of course!  I'm not a maniac LOL!!

Perhaps I should have said: "What would you suggest while the crab traps are working their magic?"  ;)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 02:04:26 AM »

Flounder and greenlings. also try herring jig. Herring should be starting in the arm now.