Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Petition to restrain Alexandra Morton (gag order request)  (Read 74734 times)

AnnieP

Re: Petition to restrain Alexandra Morton (gag order request)
« Reply #120 on: July 22, 2012, 05:55:40 PM »

Sounds like hearsay and inuendo.....  Show me some proof Annie!
It was on the news on TV and in local papers. It was on Mainstream's website. Sorry it did happen. Morton denies doing it on her blog. She claims there was no bio security present yet the measures were put in place by CFIA and Mainstream immediately the IHN was reported. As for her posting falsehoods online a good example is on her Typepad blog site.  She has a picture of the MV Orca Chief with a paragraph claiming the vessel isn't licensed properly. The vessel in fact isn't a commercial fishing packer and as such doesn't require a D license. What it does  legally  require  is a separate permit for every single fish move it makes because it has a different classification than a D license commercial salmon packer..

Cut and pasted from Morton`s blog.........Fish farming is a massive scale industry. This boat is pumping Atlantic salmon smolts into a pen in the Pacific, in a location in Tribune Channel that government promised us there would never be salmon farms (see MAPS section) Strangely this vessel has no license visibly displayed. All vessels transporting salmon, or any species of fish should have a license displayed according to the laws of Canada.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 06:09:56 PM by AnnieP »

AnnieP

« Reply #121 on: July 22, 2012, 07:09:34 PM »

Sounds like hearsay and inuendo.....  Show me some proof Annie!

http://salmonfarmscience.com/2012/06/26/mortons-latest-error-dishonesty-or-ignorance/ Morton recently took a picture off Wikepedia and posted it on her blog claiming it was kudoa. It wasn't nor was it even her picture. She was goaded on Twitter till she removed it from her blog and replaced it. ::)

AnnieP

« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 07:34:45 PM by AnnieP »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #123 on: July 22, 2012, 09:38:05 PM »

It was on the news on TV and in local papers. It was on Mainstream's website. Sorry it did happen. Morton denies doing it on her blog. She claims there was no bio security present yet the measures were put in place by CFIA and Mainstream immediately the IHN was reported. As for her posting falsehoods online a good example is on her Typepad blog site.  She has a picture of the MV Orca Chief with a paragraph claiming the vessel isn't licensed properly. The vessel in fact isn't a commercial fishing packer and as such doesn't require a D license. What it does  legally  require  is a separate permit for every single fish move it makes because it has a different classification than a D license commercial salmon packer..

Cut and pasted from Morton`s blog.........Fish farming is a massive scale industry. This boat is pumping Atlantic salmon smolts into a pen in the Pacific, in a location in Tribune Channel that government promised us there would never be salmon farms (see MAPS section) Strangely this vessel has no license visibly displayed. All vessels transporting salmon, or any species of fish should have a license displayed according to the laws of Canada.

Canada is quite a progressive country..... Unlike some countries where they punish you without a court trial, in Canada everyone is assumed to be innocent until they are proven to be guilty by either a judge or a jury.... 

The proof we're looking for is something that shows Morton was charged and convicted for trespassing.

You must think we're pretty naive to offer some pro fish farm articles as proof that Morton did anything wrong!

Even a CTV news cast telling us how a fish farm has accused Morton of doing something wrong does not prove she has been either charged or convicted.  ??? 
Did you catch the fish farm spokesman's statement where she said that in the presence of the RCMP, Morton continued to breach a quarantined area?  If that was the case then you should be petitioning the RCMP to arrest Morton rather than trying to petition the government to restrain and gag her. However my understanding of the RCMP is that they are well trained to know and understand the laws of the land and ensure that they are enforced. Just the fact that they didn't charge anyone should suggest to you that no illegal act took place.....

3 posts and all I'm getting is more hearsay and innuendo.   ::)  ::)
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #124 on: July 22, 2012, 09:50:58 PM »

Something to hide?

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Bill+restricting+communication+about+farm+disease+outbreaks+aimed+officials+minister+says/6687189/story.html

And tell me why this business is good for BC by writing how the records are so wonderful, if you would please. The records of these companies make Enbridge look like Greenpeace.

http://www.farmedanddangerous.org/solutions/industry-reform/about-the-industry/
http://

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2012, 10:01:14 PM »

Annie or whatever her name is likes to drag everyone else's family member into the discussion because that is her dubious nature. She isn't making any points in my book. I noticed she was not even open about her relationship to Marine harvest on this site till I let the cat out of the bag. You go away non fisher Annie. You go away and not come back. Your only comments end up trying to drag someone through the mud. I don't mind saying that neither. Your like some of the other people on here who comment pro fish farm but never post about anything else. All very biased. Marine harvest employees need assistance program.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #126 on: July 22, 2012, 10:11:30 PM »

Annie or whatever her name is likes to drag everyone else's family member into the discussion because that is her dubious nature. She isn't making any points in my book. I noticed she was not even open about her relationship to Marine harvest on this site till I let the cat out of the bag. You go away non fisher Annie. You go away and not come back. Your only comments end up trying to drag someone through the mud. I don't mind saying that neither. Your like some of the other people on here who comment pro fish farm but never post about anything else. All very biased. Marine harvest employees need assistance program.

Public Affairs Bureau TB? ;D

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #127 on: July 22, 2012, 10:28:21 PM »

Something to hide?

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Bill+restricting+communication+about+farm+disease+outbreaks+aimed+officials+minister+says/6687189/story.html

And tell me why this business is good for BC by writing how the records are so wonderful, if you would please. The records of these companies make Enbridge look like Greenpeace.

http://www.farmedanddangerous.org/solutions/industry-reform/about-the-industry/

Salmon farms are regulated by the Federal government – not the provincial government (following a court decision with strong support from Ms Morton).  Reporting and sampling is done by the feds, so Bill 37 (the one I think you are referring to) would have no effect on reporting by salmon farms in BC.  Reportable viruses like IHN are managed by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

The last link kind of demonstrates how tightly regulated the industry is here and how it has been enforced (as compared to other places).  I am sure you can find many records of non-compliance and charges from other industries in BC also.  Many industries have skeletons in their closets, such as land developers, municipalities and members of the general public charged under Section 35 of the Fisheries Act or even provincial legislation.  Lastly, the link makes a big issue about IHN, but when you actually learn about IHN you will realize that it is a potential problem of fish farm and fish hatcheries so it is in their best interests to identify it and prevent it.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #128 on: July 22, 2012, 10:30:16 PM »

Canada is quite a progressive country..... Unlike some countries where they punish you without a court trial, in Canada everyone is assumed to be innocent until they are proven to be guilty by either a judge or a jury.... 

The proof we're looking for is something that shows Morton was charged and convicted for trespassing.

You must think we're pretty naive to offer some pro fish farm articles as proof that Morton did anything wrong!

Even a CTV news cast telling us how a fish farm has accused Morton of doing something wrong does not prove she has been either charged or convicted.  ??? 
Did you catch the fish farm spokesman's statement where she said that in the presence of the RCMP, Morton continued to breach a quarantined area?  If that was the case then you should be petitioning the RCMP to arrest Morton rather than trying to petition the government to restrain and gag her. However my understanding of the RCMP is that they are well trained to know and understand the laws of the land and ensure that they are enforced. Just the fact that they didn't charge anyone should suggest to you that no illegal act took place.....

3 posts and all I'm getting is more hearsay and innuendo.   ::)  ::)

Nobody has suggested she was charged and convicted, just that she was there and that is plainly obvious from the news footage. The more relevant question is why?

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #129 on: July 22, 2012, 10:42:33 PM »

I guess it is a disappointment to you that you are not the moderator or webmaster for the site.  I feel for you.  Until that time arrives people will continue commenting how they want and let Rodney and the rest of the moderators decide which is fair and which is not.  You might want to start your own blog where you can control what is posted (like Ms Morton's site).  That way you will feel more secure from people like me and you won't have to put up issues that are too difficult to deal with.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #130 on: July 22, 2012, 11:16:31 PM »

I guess it is a disappointment to you that you are not the moderator or webmaster for the site.  I feel for you.  Until that time arrives people will continue commenting how they want and let Rodney and the rest of the moderators decide which is fair and which is not.  You might want to start your own blog where you can control what is posted (like Ms Morton's site).  That way you will feel more secure from people like me and you won't have to put up issues that are too difficult to deal with.

I had forgotten who the other pro SLICE person was. Thanks for stepping up to the plate ( of dirty fish dinner). :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #131 on: July 22, 2012, 11:57:05 PM »

Hey Sandman, I just wanted to know what you meant by high densities - that's all.  I typically ask that type of a question when someone says either too high or too low (my father used to say "How long is a piece of string"}.  I just found the density value on BC Salmon Facts, so it is not as if I am a fish farmer and knew this all along.  If you think it's bogus then by all means express it.  I didn't mean any ill will by the question or make it seem like I was some aquaculturalist. I actually appreciate your coherent responses even if I do not agree with them all the time.  Peace.

No worries Steve, I was not insulted by your request for clarification, but just to clarify, I did not say the densities were "too high", I just said they were high. 15kg/m3 is the maximum stocking density recommended by the UK's Farm Animal Welfare Council in 1996, and which is higher than densities (10kg/m3) identified by groups like CIWF and WSPA as ideal to ensure salmon welfare.  Again, I did not saying that BC Salmon farm densities were "too" high, I was simply pointing out that these densities (15kg/m3) are higher than the natural densities salmon would experience in the wild while they are swimming freely in the ocean, compounded by the fact that they are not able to migrate thousands of kilometers as they would in the wild, cannot swim at high speeds as they would in the wild, etc.   I am well aware of the studies regarding stocking densities like that of James Turnbull et al, who had identified 22kg/m3 as a threshold beyond which welfare problems are more likely to occur, and which we discussed at length on another thread.  While they did not recommend a "single threshold stocking density that will ensure the welfare of the fish concerned," arguing that fish welfare, like so many other things, is dependent on many factors, they did, none the less, conclude that stocking density can have a negative effect on fish welfare, especially over their 22kg/m3 threshold.  It should also be noted that Turnbull et al., did conclude that the 15kg/m3 maximum recommended by the FAWC was not supported by their findings, as a single threshold was "not the most effective way to ensure the welfare of farmed fish."

Sandman,

Please before you bail on us or anne,  could  define, in your words, high densities.  Also, you stated that a farm "negates the natural order of things."  Is this the basis of your position on salmon farming in BC? 

The answer to the first question is above, as for the second question (about the above quoted statement which is also elaborated upon above), I believe this has been answered already in my many comments on many threads on this topic.  However, in case it is not yet clear, no, my objection to farming Atlantic Salmon in open net pens in BC is not based on my claim that farms negate the natural order of things, although I am not sure how you could have thought that it was.  Selective memory loss?  Or just stirring the pot?  I will say, however, that many of my objections do stem from the fact that the industry has to deal with this fact within an environmentally sensitive area.  Remember the days when farmers could plow (and apply fertilizers and pesticides) right up to the stream bank?  Could you imagine a pig farmer today dumping manure into the river?  I know, an unfair comparison, but you get the idea.  My position on salmon farming stems from the reality that the  documented impacts of salmon farming and the remaining uncertainties surrounding its ecological risk means that decisions are being
based on uncertain or inadequate information.  All I keep hearing from farm supporters is: "That was true before, back when we didn't know better, but now we know better and are doing it right."  Well, what is the next learning curve going to bring?  The risks are too great.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 12:35:21 AM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2012, 06:59:21 AM »

Salmon farms are regulated by the Federal government – not the provincial government (following a court decision with strong support from Ms Morton).  Reporting and sampling is done by the feds, so Bill 37 (the one I think you are referring to) would have no effect on reporting by salmon farms in BC.  Reportable viruses like IHN are managed by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

yeah. And what did the feds just do to environmental protection? they put the fox in charge of the hen house.

The last link kind of demonstrates how tightly regulated the industry is here and how it has been enforced (as compared to other places).  I am sure you can find many records of non-compliance and charges from other industries in BC also.  Many industries have skeletons in their closets, such as land developers, municipalities and members of the general public charged under Section 35 of the Fisheries Act or even provincial legislation.  Lastly, the link makes a big issue about IHN, but when you actually learn about IHN you will realize that it is a potential problem of fish farm and fish hatcheries so it is in their best interests to identify it and prevent it.

Really? But that was just what was reported and caught,so one is left to wonder what hasn't been caught. I wonder if the criminal that is busted is usually the first offense or have they done things they haven't been caught for? And "other industries" is a nice subterfuge, but the topic is fish farms, not developers municipalities or members of the public. ::)

AnnieP

« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2012, 07:33:12 AM »

Even a CTV news cast telling us how a fish farm has accused Morton of doing something wrong does not prove she has been either charged or convicted.  ???  
Did you catch the fish farm spokesman's statement where she said that in the presence of the RCMP, Morton continued to breach a quarantined area?  If that was the case then you should be petitioning the RCMP to arrest Morton rather than trying to petition the government to restrain and gag her. However my understanding of the RCMP is that they are well trained to know and understand the laws of the land and ensure that they are enforced. Just the fact that they didn't charge anyone should suggest to you that no illegal act took place.....

3 posts and all I'm getting is more hearsay and innuendo.   ::)  ::) Hearsay and innuendo huh ? Okay then I guess it's ditto for the information Morton regularly puts out about disease etc. There is no confirmation that ISA was ever found in her samples on either the OIE website or the CFIA website. Nor on BC government website regarding fish health.  There are though numerous reports both in Canada and the US that her results were never found or confirmed. Are you disputing that she posted a false picture of kudoa on her website ? because that is a proven fact. She has since removed it. Are you disputing she claims the Orca Chief isn't properly licensed even though the claim is highly visible on her Type-pad blog ? I fully expected your response to my post. You want to believe anything and everything some activist claims but you will not believe the truth. No she wasn't charged but she should have been. That's what my petition was asking was for the government and CFIA to enforce their own quarantine.

AnnieP

« Reply #134 on: July 23, 2012, 07:39:25 AM »

It matters not who my husband works for. I have never made any secret that my husband is a Marine Harvest Employee nor did I attempt to hide the fact. Fail to see your reasoning on that one. In fact I'd say I've been pretty forthcoming about the fact and have answered questions put to me honestly and without reserve knowing full well the negative response I will get.