Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19

Author Topic: Petition to restrain Alexandra Morton (gag order request)  (Read 74725 times)

AnnieP

Re: Petition to restrain Alexandra Morton (gag order request)
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2012, 10:24:52 AM »

Annie, Some one is going to ask you this so I figure I may as well get it out of the way because as everybody here knows the anti's like to accuse the pro farm guys and now galls of not being sport fishers.  Another irrelevant idea that comes up often so if you don't they will get a feeling of empowerment.

For me the question is not a big deal but for others here I know this question is like laying it all on the line. 

Annie, Do you fish?

No I don't believe you save wild salmon runs by fishing them. We sold our commercial  fish boat 16 years ago. We haven't ever really been sports fishermen although we do own a boat that we seldom  use  LOL. We do sometimes get food fish though as my husband is native but not in large amounts. I admit to it because I'm sure the accusation will arise. My personal preference is farmed Atlantic though.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 10:40:02 AM by AnnieP »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2012, 10:25:33 AM »

Ms Morton's uncle is an oil venture capitalist. Not a conspiracy theory at all. Information easily found on the internet by googling Louis Marx Jr. He had several suspicious oil deals with the Bush family as a matter of fact. It is also a proven fact thanks to Vivian Krause and her research of US foundation tax returns that Morton has received hundreds of thousands of dollars from US so called charitable foundations. Her agenda is not to protect wild salmon at all. That is obvious by the fact she does nothing but slag farm salmon. Unfortunately of late she has taken it too far and has managed to convince people BC wild salmon is diseased and not fit to eat. Comments on assorted blogs connected to her dubious disease test results are not just saying they won't eat farmed salmon but now they don't want ANY salmon period. As for her and Routledge's claims about ISA that too is a falsehood. If you look at the OIE website you will find no mention of confirmed ISA in BC even though Kibenge the leading scientist at the lab is the one she credits with isolating the virus. Odd how her supporters can still swallow that story and not question why the lab doesn't confirm her claims. But hey Morton gets around that by calling Dr. Marty PhD a liar, CFIA are liars and so is the DFO. Seems everyone who doesn't agree with her is a liar. Or at least everyone unable to confirm her dubious test results. As for conspiracy theories that is laughable. The truth is on the internet. Morton's mother Barbara Marx Hubbard is a real nutter. Founder of Conscious Evolution  some new age religion. And according to her non believers will be culled come December 21st but hey don't believe me just google her on YouTube. The resemblance between Morton and her mother are quite remarkable. And did you know Morton spent some time studying with Dr John Lilly ? Yes the nutter who developed the sensory deprivation tank and also credited with doing the most LSD of anyone in the world according to some. Quite the credentials has Ms Morton. Thanks I'll stick to the real scientists and PhD's for my scientific evidence not some bushed hippy with credentials she alters weekly according to whom she is speaking.

You don't realize how thankful I am right now that I didn't "choose" to be born into a family like Morton "chose" to be born into......  ::)  Although I still may be at risk because I have a cousin who has made a fortune selling parts to the oil industry...   :-\

However, I'm sure you'll be able to appreciate that I should be safe from the impending Martian attacks, seeing as I'm wearing my tin foil hat.  :D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

AnnieP

« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2012, 10:28:36 AM »

For those who are interested, here is a link to The Foundation for Conscious Evolution: http://www.barbaramarxhubbard.com/site/

Note the Hubbard family crest:

"Tracking viruses is extremely expensive work, if you want to be part of this work please contribute here "
Taken from Morton's Typepad blog. Apparently getting false test results is expensive work and requires more money than the US foundations and Tides are giving her.

AnnieP

« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2012, 10:31:55 AM »

You don't realize how thankful I am right now that I didn't "choose" to be born into a family like Morton "chose" to be born into......  ::)  Although I still may be at risk because I have a cousin who has made a fortune selling parts to the oil industry...   :-\

However, I'm sure you'll be able to appreciate that I should be safe from the impending Martian attacks, seeing as I'm wearing my tin foil hat.  :D

Hmmm I wonder if tin foil is appropriate for the impending cull Ms Morton's mother claims will happen on December 21st 2012. Apparently non believers will be "culled " on that day.  But if you believe Morton maybe you believe her mother too ?? Good luck with the tin foil. If your a believer you certainly won't be a cullee

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2012, 12:29:50 PM »

You know, this response has come up a number of times recently whenever someone new enters the debate (I myself was met with the same response a year to two ago), that "this has all been discussed before" and so is "irrelevant."  On the contrary, while this HAS indeed all been "discussed" before, nothing has been resolved.  In fact, after being told that same line months ago, I was treated with the patience for a noob to the debate, and was allowed to engage at length.  However, nothing that came out of that debate served to ease my worry or convince me that my worries were "irrelevant."  At best, I was left with the following arguments for the continuation of open net salmon farming in BC:

1.  The environmental factors are different in BC than in all the other parts of the world where open net salmon farming has had a negative impact on the local ecosystems, so we have nothing to worry about here.

2. The "old" studies are no longer relevant because the industry in BC has learned from those mistakes and has cleaned up their act here.

3.  The ocean is very large so salmon farms (which are very small) cannot possibly have a significant impact on the local ecosystems.

4. The decline of wild salmon in BC cannot be attributed solely to open net salmon farming, so leave the farms alone until you deal with all the other factors that may be affecting the salmon.

Even the sea lice study that Steve posted conclude that the sea lice infections of migrating pink salmon were ultimately reduced by fallowing the farms during their out migration.  Brauner et al. also ended their study with the suggestion that the sea lice infections at these critical life stages, while perhaps harmful, may not be as significant as other factors (as though having to dodge one bullet is not as significant as having to run through a mine field).  You know, I get that open net salmon farming may not be the only factor contributing to the decline of wild salmon, but no one has convinced me they have no impact, and while many here may be willing to accept the impacts they do have as "insignificant" or "irrelevant,"  I am not one of them.  Salmon farms are symptomatic of our failure as a species to manage our ecosystems responsibly; they are a sign that we are resigned to accept the destructive force that is human "progress,"  just as Dave, champion of wild salmon and steelhead, is willing to accept them as a necessary part of our future.

I think your interpretation of the arguments you suggest you are left with is a bit off the mark.

1. The physical, biological and regulatory environments are different here than in other salmon farming jurisdictions and that means that in order to be relevant the arguments against farming here need to be based on outcomes that happen here under our circumstances. One can't make a blanket condemnation of BC farms based on, for instance, Norway where the problems are largely a result of an introduced parasite and interbreeding between farm and wild stocks or Chile, where problems are a result of a very lax regulatory regime. That isn't to say that there are no valid criticisms of the BC industry, but that any criticism must be based on outcomes that happen here.

2. Older studies usually reflect conditions that occurred in the past as the industry climbed the learning curve. If the farms did not learn from the mistakes of the past and did not change their practices to reduce their impacts, the older studies would be valid criticism. For example, industry practices with respect to sea lice reduction have changed as sea lice problems have been better identified and defined and consequently, criticism of the older practices isn't relevant to the current situation. The link Dave commented on used as it's basis a study which, on closer examination, specifically suggested that Coho did not appear to be affected and which specifically based it's conclusions about Pinks on Kroksek's conclusions which have subsequently proven to be incorrect. It's conclusions are outdated and not relevant. Coincidentally, the author of that study, along with Kroksek sit on the advisory board of Morton's latest venture, her research institute.

3. Our discussion about the scale of salmon farms was based on some claims about the magnitude of the effects of farms and involved developing a scale of magnitude in order to be able to determine the relative importance of the waste outputs of the farms and to put them into the context of an open system rather than dealing with them as cumulative absolutes. The farms are very small compared to the environment within which they operate and the effects aren't sufficient to push the system past a tipping point. Inconclusive studies of the effects of high density aquaculture in the warm water Mediterranean are not evidence of damage here; without evidence of damage here it simply isn't accurate to suggest that the farms are causing damage.

4. There are many factors that are known to negatively affect the wild stocks here. Fish farming has been hypothesized by some to affect the stocks. It isn't a reasonable notion that we should focus our attention on fish farms that might be a source of problems and ignore all those other things we know are the cause of declines. That isn't to say we should ignore farms, but farms are responsive and change their practices as required once problems are defined; they are actively working to minimize their footprint. If we really want to improve the outlook for the stocks our energies would be far better spent focusing on those things such as overharvesting, habitat destruction, gene pool degradation and the multitude of other factors that we are certain have negative effects on the fish. All of those slip under the radar because of the noise about fish farms and addressing them would give us concrete rather than speculative improvements to the outlook for the wild stocks. It's just basic common sense.

When people suggest that it has all been discussed before it is because it has, over and over and over and at length. Nearly everyone who approaches the debate does so based on a picture developed by Morton and her cohort and much of that picture is simply not true. I've lost count of the number of times I've started at the beginning yet again to walk someone through it and to try and provide a more accurate picture and the almost invariable response is anger when those Morton based claims that are taken to heart are shown to be inaccurate. Some, like yourself, have an adult response but most get reduced to schoolyard taunting and what could most charitably be called nonsensical trash talk. And then there is always someone else who shows up repeating the same timeworn criticisms. It's no wonder that those who have some understanding of the fish and the farm business get frustrated and develop such a low opinion of Morton. Though there is no firm resolution, it isn't reasonable to expect one. What has been resolved is that many of the arguments used against fish farming are either irrelevant or untrue and that in order for them to be relevant they must be based on fact rather than opinion and relate to the industry as it operates here.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2012, 12:39:58 PM »

Petty lies told by a supporter to make me appear to have a financial vested interest in Salmon farming.

"As the wife of a Marine Harvest employee"

No secret and I'm certainly not ashamed of it either. And I'm using my real name and standing behind what I say publicly.

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2012, 12:46:39 PM »

Use your words trout breath.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2012, 02:05:41 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if her next post accused Morton of being responsible for the failing world financial system and the lack of world peace.....   ::)  ;D

Most people who are in the least bit informed understand that it was greed and the people in the financial sector who are responsible for the failing financial system. Morton clearly has nothing to do with it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 02:09:57 PM by absolon »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2012, 02:56:18 PM »

It isn't a reasonable notion that we should focus our attention on fish farms that might be a source of problems and ignore all those other things we know are the cause of declines.

That is a Red Herring.  Focusing attention on fish farms does not mean ignoring other things we know are causing problems.  The reason people are focusing on fish farms is because they are a new threat (one that should never have been allowed in the first place given the problems in other jurisdictions around the world) and one that can be more easily solved (by their removal from the waters) than the other threats to wild salmon.  Once the farms are gone, we can divert energies back to the other, more difficult problems in our waters.  Besides, if you are correct, and there is nothing wrong with farming Atlantic Salmon in open net pens in BC waters, then waiting until the inevitable disappearance of the wild pacific salmon should be easy, as it will be a short wait.
Not all those who wander are lost

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2012, 03:05:45 PM »

Use your words trout breath.

It's troutbreath, one word not two.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2012, 07:18:47 PM »

Most people who are in the least bit informed understand that it was greed and the people in the financial sector who are responsible for the failing financial system. Morton clearly has nothing to do with it.

Next time for your benefit I'll explain when my statement includes sarcasm....

However, I'm glad you believe Morton has nothing to do with the failing financial system. Does that mean you believe she is responsible for the lack of world peace?  :D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2012, 09:37:04 PM »

Next time for your benefit I'll explain when my statement includes sarcasm....

That would be a good idea. Anyone else, I'd understand it as sarcasm. With you I've learned never to assume common sense is involved.

AnnieP

« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2012, 08:07:52 AM »

That is a Red Herring.  Focusing attention on fish farms does not mean ignoring other things we know are causing problems.  The reason people are focusing on fish farms is because they are a new threat (one that should never have been allowed in the first place given the problems in other jurisdictions around the world) and one that can be more easily solved (by their removal from the waters) than the other threats to wild salmon.  Once the farms are gone, we can divert energies back to the other, more difficult problems in our waters.  Besides, if you are correct, and there is nothing wrong with farming Atlantic Salmon in open net pens in BC waters, then waiting until the inevitable disappearance of the wild pacific salmon should be easy, as it will be a short wait.

That's quite a misconception. You need to read a book written by Geoff Meggs entitled " Salmon The Decline of the British Columbia Fishery ".  The decline was warned of as early as the 1920's. It continued right up until present day. Don't know what your connection to salmon is but the demise of salmon has been an ongoing thing for decades long before salmon farming. Even in Norway the truth is that salmon farming began as a means to supplement a declining Atlantic salmon population. The same holds true for Alaska and it's over enhanced salmon "ranching " . Alaska began an over intensive hatchery program to enhance stocks that had been severely overfished and under managed by the sixties. Focusing on fish farms is ignoring the truth and that is that ALL three user groups Native, commercial and sports have abused the salmon runs in BC almost to some being almost wiped out entirely. Natives demand their treaty rights, sporties claim their industry is worth more to the economy than commercial and commercial fishermen cry about their investment. I admit to being one of them at one time. Everyone puts their greed ahead of the stocks. And so here we are. It's too bad that those that jump on the Morton train don't take the trouble to visit a salmon farm and see for themselves what a beautiful fish they are. What people don't seem to get is that FF have nothing to gain by abusing the Eco system. That healthy Eco system grows healthy fish. Whether people choose to believe an activist or the truth about regulation of the industry it is in fact the most highly regulated industry. Pity no one ever regulated the industries that pollute the Fraser on a daily basis. Or the logging industries that destroyed fish habitat all over BC. The demise of BC salmon was initiated long before FF were ever thought of. And that is the truth. Removing FF from the water will do nothing more than cause massive unemployment of many people a large proportion of whom were already displaced by a declining commercial salmon industry. The decline of wild salmon will continue in spite of removing FF just as it is in places like Washington state, Oregon and California all states suffering from the same fluctuating salmon runs and two of them have NO salmon farms to blame. When you've displaced 6000 individuals and countless businesses it will be a mote point to say oops I'm sorry I guess I was wrong about salmon farms.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 08:12:35 AM by AnnieP »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2012, 10:12:41 AM »

That's quite a misconception. You need to read a book written by Geoff Meggs entitled " Salmon The Decline of the British Columbia Fishery ".  The decline was warned of as early as the 1920's. It continued right up until present day. Don't know what your connection to salmon is but the demise of salmon has been an ongoing thing for decades long before salmon farming. Even in Norway the truth is that salmon farming began as a means to supplement a declining Atlantic salmon population. The same holds true for Alaska and it's over enhanced salmon "ranching " . Alaska began an over intensive hatchery program to enhance stocks that had been severely overfished and under managed by the sixties. Focusing on fish farms is ignoring the truth and that is that ALL three user groups Native, commercial and sports have abused the salmon runs in BC almost to some being almost wiped out entirely. Natives demand their treaty rights, sporties claim their industry is worth more to the economy than commercial and commercial fishermen cry about their investment. I admit to being one of them at one time. Everyone puts their greed ahead of the stocks. And so here we are. It's too bad that those that jump on the Morton train don't take the trouble to visit a salmon farm and see for themselves what a beautiful fish they are. What people don't seem to get is that FF have nothing to gain by abusing the Eco system. That healthy Eco system grows healthy fish. Whether people choose to believe an activist or the truth about regulation of the industry it is in fact the most highly regulated industry. Pity no one ever regulated the industries that pollute the Fraser on a daily basis. Or the logging industries that destroyed fish habitat all over BC. The demise of BC salmon was initiated long before FF were ever thought of. And that is the truth. Removing FF from the water will do nothing more than cause massive unemployment of many people a large proportion of whom were already displaced by a declining commercial salmon industry. The decline of wild salmon will continue in spite of removing FF just as it is in places like Washington state, Oregon and California all states suffering from the same fluctuating salmon runs and two of them have NO salmon farms to blame. When you've displaced 6000 individuals and countless businesses it will be a mote point to say oops I'm sorry I guess I was wrong about salmon farms.

No, Annie, it is not a misconception.  Like other fish farm advocates, you insist that the fish farms are not the cause of the decline, therefore should be left alone.  THAT is the Red Herring.  I am well aware of the history of the decline of the salmon fishery in BC.  I read Meggs when I wrote my own paper in the 90s on the collapse of the commercial salmon fishery after the Cruikshank report came out about the same time as Meggs book.  What I am saying is that the salmon, already in decline, are now having to negotiate through the waters polluted by the fish farms.  You may argue that the pollution (be it biological or chemical) is small compared to the size of the ocean, or that the tides here can flush the sites adequately so there is no real harm, but I do not buy it.  The fact that the sea lice study quoted earlier showed that fallowing the farms reduced the sea lice infection rates, demonstrates the harm the farms can cause.  The fact that sea lice infection, while potentially harmful to juvenile salmon at a critical stage, is not the worst thing facing a migrating juvenile salmon, doesn't change the fact that it is an additional stress facing an already stressed salmon. Add to this the potential for the farms to amplify diseases that could then be passed to salmon, perhaps when they are returning to spawn and will be in high concentrations in the rivers with already weaken immune systems, and the danger is there.  The fact that the farms have nothing to gain by abusing the ecosystem, is irrelevant, although some (who shall remain nameless) may argue fish farmers would profit handsomely if the wild Pacific stocks disappeared and the world was dependent on farmed Atlantics for their salmon "needs."   You don't need to want to harm the ecosystem to do it.  There are many instances in the past where fish farms have harmed the local ecosystem, whether intentionally or not. While many have "learned" from those mistakes and have cleaned up their act, that doesn't change the fact that their activity harmed the ecosystem.  The fact that it is such a heavily regulated industry is testimony to harm they can cause the surrounding environment.   As I have said, trying to get the farms out of the water does not mean ignoring those other polluters in the Fraser, or the thousands of tons of plastics floating around the Pacific basin where the salmon, and their food fish, feed.  I do not need to ignore the other causes when I turn my attention to fish farms.  I understand the thousands of jobs that are at stake, and that is a shame, but as I said, those jobs should never have been created.  The jobs that should have been created were the ones that reduce the dependency on the products and packaging that are eroding our planets ecosystems.  I understand you have accepted that a farmed Atlantic salmon is as beautiful as a wild pacific salmon, but I do not.  One day we may all be forced to eat farmed Atlantic salmon, at that will be a sad day, but until that day comes, lets give the wild salmon the best chance for survival.  When they are all gone, then you can have our barren seas to raise as many farmed Atlantics as you can stomach.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 10:20:33 AM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2012, 10:20:11 AM »

One day we may all be forced to eat farmed Atlantic salmon, at that will be a sad day, but until that day comes, lets give the wild salmon the best chance for survival.  When they are all gone, then you can have our barren seas to raise as many farmed Atlantics as you can stomach.

Very sad,    but realistic commentary.....   :(
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19