Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: flies  (Read 2450 times)

MetalAndFeathers

flies
« on: June 18, 2014, 10:41:00 AM »

Im kind of new to the fly fishing world right now so i was wondering where could i get the cheapest flies?Im just looking for trout and bass type flies.I heard about a fly fishing shop near army and navy called fly co that sells flies for 10cents each?

thanks

banx

Re: flies
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 10:48:02 AM »

i would probably suggest against that.  I'm new to fly fishing myself.

I spent $40 on flies online to bring to belize.... they were acceptable, but didn't get anywhere near the attention from bonefish that the local flyshop flies did.

I also went to army and navy, and bought 'copies' of flys that I got at michael and young for stillwater fishing.  the MY flies outperformed the army navy ones by a long shot.

with a few $ more your getting better hooks and quality materials.  if your going that far to fish and spending money on gas. spend a couple dollars more and go for quality flies. at least that way if you don;t get into fish you can blame yourself and not your fly. 

Ian Forbes

Re: flies
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 12:35:06 PM »

Like Banx said... you get what you pay for. Why not join a fly tying group and see what transpires. Lots of guys are willing to share their "good flies" with beginners.

If I wanted a hundred dozen of one or two good patterns then I would hire one of my Thai fly tying girls to do the job for me. If I only need half a dozen of a good pattern then I'll tie them myself.