Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upper river squatters.  (Read 4310 times)

sugartooth

Upper river squatters.
« on: October 12, 2021, 08:36:10 AM »

There is a spot on the upper chilliwack river that I used to visit to either fish or to just sit and enjoy. Last year at the end of steelhead season a squatter moved in there. He drove his van up over the dyke and to within 20 feet of the river bank and set up his camp. Through the summer I would pop in there from time to time to see if he was still there and he was but now more people had moved in. In total I think there were three people living in this small area. About a week ago I stopped by there again. This time there was only the guy in the van there but there was garbage left by the other squatters. I suggested to this guy that he clean up his garbage. He said he would and I left it at that. Well yesterday I stopped by there again. This time I was glad to see that the squatter and his van were gone. What I wasn’t happy to see was the dump truck load of garbage left behind.
So my question is, who do I call or email to have this area cleaned up before it ends up in the river or picked over and strewn throughout the forest.
I realize people fall on hard times and have nowhere else to go but the mess and damage these people are leaving is insane.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Upper river squatters.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 03:20:27 PM »

sugartooth, email Nikki at info@cleanrivers.ca and explain what you posted here. She should be able to either connect you with someone at FVRD or she'll do it.

Silver

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 04:35:00 PM »

The with the van is Matt Foley.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 04:36:53 PM »

sugartooth, email Nikki at info@cleanrivers.ca and explain what you posted here. She should be able to either connect you with someone at FVRD or she'll do it.
Someone emailed her as it's now being discussed by the Directors. Expect a clean up of the area soon.

sugartooth

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 05:11:27 PM »

Someone emailed her as it's now being discussed by the Directors. Expect a clean up of the area soon.

Good to hear.

Thank you Rodney.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 05:12:57 PM »

The with the van is Matt Foley.
Nice one!  ;D

Silver

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 05:38:33 PM »

Nice one!  ;D

Pardon grammar…doobies talking!

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 05:54:37 PM »

Soowhalie is having to deal with a similar, but bigger, issue in the middle section.  This shithead behavior represents a complete an utter disrespect for our stunning environment and a waste of resources that could be used beneficially elsewhere. Grrr....

Next time, but only if you feel safe to do so, take photographs, with registration plates and try to nail the wankers.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 08:20:10 PM »

This is up near or just passed Allison pool?

sugartooth

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 09:14:26 PM »

Yes about 1km past Allison pools.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2021, 07:23:11 AM »

I saw last winter near the cedar trees run there was a log structure being built complete with the requisite piles of garbage. Same spot ?

sugartooth

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2021, 08:28:46 AM »

Same area different spot. These squatters set up camp in the late spring.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2021, 08:45:28 AM »

In the spring of 2020 I drove up to Foley lake with my fly rod and little boat. Hadn’t been up there in years and was looking forward to a nice afternoon. There was so much garbage everywhere and obviously people living there. It was disgusting. I turned around and left. Never wet a line.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2021, 09:47:09 AM »

Drove up to the Skagit last summer. Hadn’t been up there for a few yrs. Was shocked to see all the squatters camps complete with derelict vans/motor homes and garbage piles. Even as far up as Silver lake!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2021, 11:44:17 AM »

This area will be cleaned up next Friday, Oct.22
The directors of the Vedder Chilliwack River Cleanup Society are having a "hot spot " clean up at this site, starting around 1 pm.  Due to Covid restrictions and no liability insurance, this is a non sanctioned event but if any anglers from this site care to join us we will be grateful for the help.  Bags and pickup sticks will be provided but bring your own gloves.
I will update this message as we get closer to the date.