Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: upper squamish river  (Read 8621 times)

chrisc54

upper squamish river
« on: February 12, 2016, 10:46:45 PM »

Hi guys, i am not new to fishing but i am having difficulty getting into bull trout on the squamish river. I havent been out this year due to work but last year i went out probably 10 times with no luck other than pinks in the summer. I could REALLY use some tips on areas to try on the upper squamish...i know nobody likes to give away there best spots but if someone could tell me of some good holes along the upper river tht would be unreal. I will be swinging spoons and maybe floating some wool. I live 3 hours away thats why it would be awesome if someone could point me in the right direction, i can even leave my emaail incase someone wants to email some spots that way they dont get posted. I love the scenery out there, but i would love to get into some dollys and bulls, catch and release i know of course. Thanks for your time guys i really appreciate it. 

chrisc_54@hotmail.com

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: upper squamish river
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 04:33:11 AM »

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=32317.msg308306#msg308306

We've been over this no? Some good advice mixed in here.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 07:53:34 AM »

Ok some more advise. I've found on the Sauamish that if there's fish around, you will find a few in the same area (unless you're fishing a small piece of structure) so don't dwell on one spot for to long as just because it's fishy doesn't mean there's fish. The fish have been well fed on eggs for the past few months so they've had full bellies. Now food is a little more scarce and they will be more aggressive.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 11:33:38 AM »

Chris,

You were asking the same questions 3 years ago.

In that time, you should have had plenty of time to go up and explore the river and to find your own spots.  I know it is a big commitment in time, I only live 2 hours away from where I fish, and yet I can still arrive there at sun up and have 8-10 hours to explore.  You can cover and discover a lot of river in that time.  As people have already mentioned, there really are no honey holes or good spots.  The whole river is good.  Fish move around or may already have been spooked.  Where you catch fish one day you wont a few days later.  So treat the Bulls them like Steel, cover a lot of water, keep moving (do one cast then step down as you retrieve after completing a swing)  and you will find them.  Going out exploring and finding them is your commitment/responsibility however we can provide you with tips on how best to catch them if they are there, as follows:

It's a big river, so covering as much water as possible as quickly as possible will give you the best opportunity to hook up.  The absolute best way to do this is by swinging a spoon, followed by swinging a fly.  Early on in the season, i.e. the past 2 months, egg patterns and drifting beads are the most effective techniques, but you cannot cover water as quickly or effectively as a spoon.  As the eggs have now almost disappeared the fish will be hungry for something else and that will be fry, small fish and sculpins, so big sculpin patterns and spoons will become increasingly the weapon of choice.

Flows in the Squamish tend to be big and you need your presentation down near the bottom, almost touching the bottom.  I exclusively fish 3/5 or 2/3 spoons depending on the speed of the water.  I normally cast approximately 11 oclock across the run, hold back on the line slightly until I feel that first tap as it hits a rock then raise the rod tip more to keep it up and swinging across the bottom.  Only wind in line if the flow is not strong enough to keep your spoon from constantly hitting the bottom and snagging.  If this is the case snap on a lighter spoon.  Retrieve once the spoon is at ~6 oclock.

Make sure to cover lots of different types of water, all types until you figure out where they like to lay.  I used to think that bulls were lazy fish and preferred deep pools, because that's where I used to catch them on the Skagit.  However, that is not always the case on the Squamish.  While I still catch them in the deeper slower pools, I tend to catch more in fairly fast flowing tail outs, straight runs, outside fast water seems and in water with depths between 3-5' depending on clarity.  If the water is slightly coloured, you will find them in shallower water.  When I say fairly fast flowing, I mean enough that I need a 2/3 onz spoon to get near the bottom. Something like a 1/8 would not work at most of the locations I fish.

The best time to fish is when the water level is between 2-3 m as measured at the Brackendale monitoring station.  You can fish outside those windows, but it becomes more challenging.  Above 3 m and you need to fish more of the side channels which will now be deep enough to hold fish which are staying out of the high flows.  Below 2 m and the water is typically very clear and fish will be hiding in the deeper water or water with a bit of a riffle to provide them with cover.  You need to go with 6lbs fluoro in these conditions and smaller spoons and smaller more natural coloured flies. 

The best time to fish is on the drop, particularly if the water is slightly coloured.  Swing big articulated sculpins in the 3-4 inch length range in white, white/grey, white/black or combinations with olive work very well.  Also the previously mentioned spoons in brass, silver/gold or mixed with chartreuse.

Open up google maps and look at where the road gets reasonable close to the river.  You can work out the rough distances from the first bridge using google earth.  Once you get to a likely look spot, head west and find the river.  The more you hike the more likely you are to catch fish.  Alternatively drive until you see others parked up and explore.

I recall you mentioned you had a F150 4x4 therefore you should have no problem exploring a little further north of the Ashlue bridge.  There is some snow up there at the moment, but not a lot.  It is remote area, without cell coverage, so be sensible in the gear you take the choices you make and let someone know where you are going and let them know when you are out. 

GL

« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 11:48:17 AM by Knnn »

kanuckle head

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 11:45:30 AM »

Great points Knnn, very good advise, hope to venture in them parts one day
Where is the like button.........

Like :)

chrisc54

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 12:52:55 PM »

Thanks guys, I'll try around 25-27 mile and hike around. If 1/8 ounce spoons are too light could I just throw a slip shot on there to add some weight? Thanks for the helpful tips. Would have looked at my old post, I tried to but could not find it.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 01:50:45 PM »

River is high right now and was going out yesterday. Hard rain last night and more on the way.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 02:48:42 PM »

Thanks guys, I'll try around 25-27 mile and hike around. If 1/8 ounce spoons are too light could I just throw a slip shot on there to add some weight? Thanks for the helpful tips. Would have looked at my old post, I tried to but could not find it.

In "normal" winter conditions on the squish I have had luck using 1/8oz to 1/2oz spoons depending on clarity. Like I said in my post a few years ago, I'm a big fan of putting a small bob tail on the hook of a small panther Martin spinner when I feel like chucking hardware instead of flies. Just something else for them to look at and the little tail gives it a bit of action. I prefer to fish between shovelnose creek and the bridge to the Ashlu.

chrisc54

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 03:21:28 PM »

awesome thanks for the info, is shovelnose upstream or downstream from the ashlu campground area? i couldnt find it on google earth or maps. thanks

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 03:51:56 PM »

There are new mile (or km) markers on the road.  The 25-27 mark is a fair way up, close to the confluence of the Squamish and Ehlaho.  Although it's been raining a lot up there recently, you may have some trouble with the snow that high up.  However you will see plenty of places to try on the way up. 

As mentioned by bkk, the river is a little high at the moment, but on the drop (right now).  However, more rain is due overnight and tomorrow, but the water levels will depend heavily on the freezing level.

If you go to this web site, you will be able to see what the water level is doing.

http://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/google_map/google_map_e.html?searchBy=p&province=BC&doSearch=Go

Shovelnose is well upstream of the campground, in the area you are thinking of going.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 01:17:10 AM »

Park and walk and walk and walk.  It's very nice to just ramble through the forest and shore.  Last time I was there I came across wolf, elk, cougar and deer tracks all crisscrossing.

Tip - Look for trucks parked on the side of the road for fishing spots.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 01:21:53 AM »

Tip - Look for trucks parked on the side of the road for fishing spots.

;D

Old Blue

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 08:09:29 AM »

awesome thanks for the info, is shovelnose upstream or downstream from the ashlu campground area? i couldnt find it on google earth or maps. thanks
:o Just go fishing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you want someone to hold your hand then hire a guide

living_blind

• My Band - Kilmore Place
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 04:53:44 PM »

Chris,

Youre probably overthinking it. Bulls up there are in any pool, it's hard to walk 1km and not find several holes with fish. Just keep at it and you will be rewarded. Switch over the the mamquam or the chek if it's really busy, sometimes if you're fishing behind people fishing can be slow. I haven't been out in a while, but I just try and find a quiet stretch, now that the salmon are done the trout spread right out

hotrod

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 10:20:52 PM »

Wholeeh! Someone sold the farm!!   :-\