Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upper Pitt lure suggestions?  (Read 4713 times)

Hoop71

Upper Pitt lure suggestions?
« on: July 10, 2015, 04:18:07 PM »

I am taking my wife & parents on a single day guided trip with Pitt River Lodge on Monday. We will be gear fishing and I have to bring the lures.

I have an assortment of Crocs, Koho and Trophy Tackle spoons and some spinners from Trophy as well. Any suggestions on other lures which might be useful?

We will be targeting bull trout but rainbows & cutthroat will also be around.

Cheers.
Dan

top fuel

Re: Upper Pitt lure suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 04:30:41 PM »

Do you have to supply you're own rods as well? I would have thought that would be included, I'm sure it's not cheap.

Hoop71

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 04:45:04 PM »

No, they supply everything but lures. I'm guessing it is a lure graveyard and at $4-5 /lure I can understand. They also cater to mostly fly fisherman as well so that may be part of the reason?

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 11:45:29 PM »

I fished up there approximately a month ago and probably caught more than a dozen bulls on a R&B 50:50 in hammered chartreuse and brass 2/3 onze.  Similar to this but brass:

I used the heavy spoons so I could first touch bottom then lift it lightly and swing across the flow occasionally tapping bottom and giving the spoon a twitch.  It was killer.  I think Trophy supplies them in BC.  They way out performed any other type of spoon we tried.  Beacuse they are tough to find I now buy the brass ones and paint them up myself, they are that good. 

I have also had success on the same colour combo with the spinners.

GL

« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 08:25:18 PM by Knnn »

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 01:00:33 AM »

x2 on the trophy tackle spoons. they do catch fish.
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

wizard

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 10:58:13 AM »

If those spoons were rare before they'll be even more hard to find now...I like to help folks out too but when I come across a lure, spoon or fly that is exceptionally hot I would keep that to myself as much as possible.  Next time I see those around though, I will definitely swoop them up.

Hoop71

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 03:18:27 PM »

Thank you Knnn!

I have several of those already but will double check the weight. Can't hurt to have some extras to go deep!

Dan

I fished up there approximately a month ago and probably caught more than a dozen bulls on a R&B 50:50 in hammered chartreuse and brass 2/3 onze.  Similar to this but brass:

I used the heavy spoons so I could first touch bottom then lift it lightly and swing across the flow occasionally tapping bottom and giving the spoon a twitch.  It was killer.  I think Trophy supplies them in BC.  They way out performed any other type of spoon we tried.  beacusr they are tough to find I know buy the brass ones and paint them up myself, they are that good. 

I have also had success on the same colour combo with the spinners.

GL

Hoop71

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 03:40:13 PM »

What are you contributing to this thread? It's not like Knnn is giving up a secret fishing spot! Next you will chastise someone for suggesting a pink lure for a certain species of salmon!

That's fine if you do not want to give up any of your secrets but posts like yours just contributes to those kinds of attitudes.

If someone is willing to share vital information that lead to a great day on the water for them, I thank them.

I'm sorry wizard, I'm sure you are a nice guy in person but I despise the attitude sometimes on this forum where people will contribute nothing to the thread other than to shame someone if they give out too much information.

OK, rant over.

If those spoons were rare before they'll be even more hard to find now...I like to help folks out too but when I come across a lure, spoon or fly that is exceptionally hot I would keep that to myself as much as possible.  Next time I see those around though, I will definitely swoop them up.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 05:00:00 PM »

If there is one thing I've learned about bull trout in my years of fishing, is they will smack a wide variety of lures. Best to have a handful of of different types with you while fishing. Sometimes just sticking a bobtail on the hook means all the difference. Oh.... I've said to much.

wizard

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 04:50:13 PM »

Just offering a different perspective...I have seen how hard it can be to find specific size, color and brand of lures in local stores once a certain word has got out making often hard to find lures even harder to find.  Not to mention I hate the thought of a poacher or someone who uses barbed hooks etc seeing what's hot and them using that advantage as well. 

As for a suggestion all I would suggest is having a variety of colours sizes etc to match the days conditions...try putting an Indiana blade on the spoon as well.

Hoop71

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 04:57:27 PM »

No worries! Thank you wizard!

Just offering a different perspective...I have seen how hard it can be to find specific size, color and brand of lures in local stores once a certain word has got out making often hard to find lures even harder to find.  Not to mention I hate the thought of a poacher or someone who uses barbed hooks etc seeing what's hot and them using that advantage as well. 

As for a suggestion all I would suggest is having a variety of colours sizes etc to match the days conditions...try putting an Indiana blade on the spoon as well.

Hoop71

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 02:54:11 PM »

Had a great day on the river! Thanks for all the suggestions!Did a short fishing report if interested.