Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upper or Lower?  (Read 2492 times)

G-Ratt

Upper or Lower?
« on: February 14, 2014, 06:11:08 PM »

Hey guys, myself and a couple of friends are heading to the Vedder tomorrow to try and get our first taste of some Steel this season. I would consider us Beginner/Novice Steelheaders (this is our second season). And we were having a bit of discussion/argument as to where we should focus our efforts tomorrow.

Due to a car accident I'm left only partially mobile. I can still climb down to spots in the upper river, but usually by mid-afternoon my knee is aching quite fiercely. This doesn't prevent us from moving to several spots in a day, but I am usually limited as to how far I can push it.

This being said, I was wondering if you had any suggestions as to which section we should scour more thoroughly. I am not asking for a secret spot, a simple "upper" or "lower" would suffice.

My point of view was that we should hit the lower for the obvious reasons; rain this week pushing fresh fish into the lower part of the river, this being a bit of a weak season there aren't as many fish spread throughout the system. However my friend has been receiving nice reports from the upper canyon. I was just wondering which section some more seasoned anglers prefer at this point of a weaker season.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
Re: Upper or Lower?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 06:15:13 PM »

My point of view was that we should hit the lower for the obvious reasons; rain this week pushing fresh fish into the lower part of the river, this being a bit of a weak season there aren't as many fish spread throughout the system.

I think you are right. Good luck

chronic_topdawg

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 07:24:37 PM »

lower mid but not past the mid upper but before mossy rock and after the beaver dam.  low

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 07:34:44 PM »

Is the mossy rock above or below the beaver dam?
The Bigger The Better!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 08:45:57 PM »

Steelhead will be throughout the river given the rain the past week. I would pick an area that will be easy on your knees.

G-Ratt

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 09:54:19 AM »

Thanks Leapin Tyee and Fish Assassin!

Ended up going to the upper river to start. Heard of a couple of guys pulling one out up by the prison. Fished down the canyon, then moved to the lower.

My friend had one on near the train bridge, but quickly lost it.

Vis had gone down to about 6 inches by time we left at 4:30.