Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upper skagit vs lower skagit  (Read 3297 times)

andrew5

Upper skagit vs lower skagit
« on: July 31, 2013, 05:40:23 PM »

Hi all,

Planing on making my first if several trips out there this season. I have fished the river for several years now, but always fish the upper to mid section of the river, often parking right by where the bridge crosses the river.

I have t ventured lower mainly due to the fact that I'm itching to fish when I get there, and the unknown. From talking to a few anglers on the river it sounds like its worth driving down a bit further, as they say the fishing is better.

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the lower part of the river, closer to the lake.

More bull trout holes? More fish in general? More runs/riffles etc?

I will be taking my dad there for the first time as well, and he's really excited.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Upper skagit vs lower skagit
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 05:44:19 PM »

I personally enjoy the river from 26mile bridge down. closer to the lake I find more deep holes then up higher which "should" mean better Bull trout water however I catch loads of bows everywhere by fishing nymphs under an indicator with a couple tiny split shot 18 or so inches from the fly (add a swivel to stop your shot from sliding down to the fly) I haven't used dries much because im having to much fun with the bobber LoL

my last trip was my first time targeting the Bulls and I did get a nice 5/6lb one on my switch rod (5/6wt) but lost it due to a shotty tailing job  :'( I hope to catch more of these powerful fish on my next trip
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

andrew5

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 09:28:53 PM »

Thanks Hook.

That's what I heard from folks on the river as well. I'm going to "borrow" that split shot technique for my nymphing.

I have actually caught a couple of bulls while nymphing on that river!

Do you have any favourite nymphs? Mine is the copper John. Probably my most successful all-time fly. Any other tips are also appreciated.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 10:05:18 AM »

I normally fish Prince Nymphs and Stones because I had never tied a Copper John before but now that I tied a bunch for the Similkameen earlier this year I have some in the box. Honestly though the little rainbows are fun to catch at times but I think I rather chase the Bulls after feeling the brute power of a decent sized one my last trip  ;D

anyone can take that swivel idea and use it. my first trip there my little split shot would slide to my fly often enough it was frustrating me so after that days fishing I thought about how I could put something there without adding to much to the setup, very small swivel was my solution. A lot of the time I only use 1 shot and the swivel because the swivel weighs about the same as 1 tiny split shot
Check out our new blog

patagonia

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 05:10:39 PM »

Using a small swivel is a very common method for fishing wet flies under an indicator and has been talked about quite a bit in recent nymph/egg fishing articles... it is very east to add 3 feet of tippet to your leader without messing with the more time consuming knots.. I use Fluro tippet on the skagit with the clear water and it is much easier to attach fluro to a swivel than the mono leader. The swivel also adds a bit of weight. The best strike indicator that Ive found is the thingamabobber, very easy to attach and adjust.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 06:16:41 PM »

I like using the Thill style bobbers when river fishing but I have been eyeballing those Thingamabobber's for glo bug fishing. Do you find it damages the line at all with the way its attached ? does it leave harsh kinks in the line when you have to adjust it ? honestly is it just as easy/easier to adjust than just pulling the toothpick to adjust ?

HOOK - has many a question - like, why do thingamabobber's only come in such soft pale colours or white-ish clear and black  ? !!
Check out our new blog

patagonia

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 06:56:52 PM »

you are right and they do kink the leader a bit where they are attached but not so bad that it interferes with the casting... I usually use a leader straightener after im done with the indicator.

patagonia

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 06:58:00 PM »

Pacific Angler has them in some loud green/orange and red

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 07:51:15 PM »

Nice !

thanks Patagonia  :D

I have never seen them in fluorescent colours anywhere I have seen them which is partly why I haven't bought any yet
Check out our new blog