Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upper Pitt River in March  (Read 3300 times)

canuckjgc

Upper Pitt River in March
« on: February 18, 2009, 02:56:48 PM »

Ok, I'm heading to the Upper Pitt for the first time in March with a good sized boat and a mountain bike in tow as suggested on this site.

What will the fishing be like?  I'm guessing cutties chasing salmon fry? I plan on using spin/drift gear as my fly skills are pretty sad.  Small red and white croc lures? 

I may bring a fly rod as well to practise.

Any advice appreciated!

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
Re: Upper Pitt River in March
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 03:56:38 PM »

what kind of boat and motor are you running

canuckjgc

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 04:01:05 PM »

16ft Double Eagle fiberglass closed bow with 50hp outboard

quincy

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 05:06:40 PM »

so do ya need a partner for this excursion? ;D

canuckjgc

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 05:11:38 PM »

Thanks for the offer - I've got a fishing partner willing to do the trip, bike and all.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 05:55:54 PM »

Fishing is dependent on a few things obviously, but it is a very good time of year typically for Bull trout. Fish spoons and spinners (Copper with firestrip is my go to) but I'm sure your favourite will work too. For the fly try using MOAL leaches in black with orange butt. Talk to the guys at Riverside if you don't know what that is.

canuckjgc

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 07:19:30 PM »

Excellent thanks!

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 11:07:57 PM »

16ft Double Eagle fiberglass closed bow with 50hp outboard

Going to the upper Pitt in a Double Eagle with a outboard? That is just nuts in my opinion. This river takes many jet boats every year, and you are going in a fiberglass boat with an outboard?

I would NEVER even try that, but that is up to you.

Good luck, if you plan on running the river, you will need it.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

SmokeyRiver

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 06:19:33 AM »

A deep v fiberglass boat in the upper pitt is suicide you better keep doing your homework.... obviously you havnt looked into it very much and dont know what your heading into!!!! The upper pitt claims jet boats from experienced operators every year...

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 07:24:45 AM »

I dont think some of you are reading what he is saying. He is going to run the boat to the end of the lake and mountain bike the rest of the way up. If thats exactly what your doing than good luck. I wish I would have tried something like that before leaving the mainland.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

canuckjgc

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 08:58:45 AM »

Exactly right, I am bringing a mountain bike.  Plan to dock then ride the bike.  Of course I wouldn't take a deep V into the river!

tim3500

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 10:15:40 AM »

I have spent many years going to the upper Pitt dong the same thing but we finally graduated and put our trail bikes on the boat and stayed at the wharf over night we did that till the snow wouldn't let us . You are going about it the right way and your gear is pretty much on the right track . My only advice is watch for jet boaters as some are not very considerate and as far as my experience is that is one river that should be used as drift purpose only ! I have had my line run over more than once and it is a very sensitive area

canuckjgc

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 10:33:34 AM »

How do you find loading and unloading dirt bikes?  I considered buying a little 80cc but seems like it would be tough loading and unloading it at the dock?

Also, is it paranoid to bring a light rifle along?  We're going to bike nearly 20 km up river and relying entirely on bear spray makes me a bit uneasy.  Lots of stories of folks who emptied a can of bear spray and the bear backs off, but then follows them.  And they have no bear spray left.  Not fun.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 01:41:08 PM by canuckjgc »

tim3500

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 04:23:53 PM »

funny thing you asked about the bikes wasn't funny then but i will keep it short . In the early 80s when I started going up there I went with some work friends they brought there brand new honda 125 XL less than 5 km we were putting them into his 18 ft boat and they were on the dock at the boat ramp and as we were getting the first one in took three guys not to scratch the boat and some big chick came strolling down the dock and my buddies bike went into the river WOW if you could have heard the language all in German but I new what he was saying . we got the bike back by dredging the river with a dandford anchor and caught it by the crossbar  The chick was long gone by that time . With the flow there i would have said it was a goner but he had nothing to loose we  put the bike into the boat and off we went .Got to the dock didn't put the kick stand down till it was on dry ground this time and checked the oil didn't have any water in it drained the tank pulled the choke and off it went true story Honda's are great and sealed increadably well

tim3500

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 04:29:38 PM »

OH as far as the rifle don't need to worry to much as black bears are as afraid of you as you are of them . We  also hunted up there to so we always had a gun or two with us have some pics somewere of my first bear and nice buck doing a river crossing