Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upper Pitt River Power Project Video, Info, and Meeting Dates  (Read 9605 times)

FF

Upper Pitt River Power Project Video, Info, and Meeting Dates
« on: February 17, 2008, 08:45:55 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p48ra_657M4  If you are a BC river user watch this Video.

Subject: Help save Pinecone Burke Provincial Park - Write Now!

URGENT ACTION ALERT

Pinecone Burke Provincial Park under threat from a proposed private power line right of way to be cleared across the park Deadline for public input is April 2, 2008

Pinecone Burke Provincial Park

The 38,000 hectare Pinecone Burke Provincial Park was designated in 1995 after a hard fought wilderness preservation campaign by the Burke Mountain Naturalists, the Wilderness Committee and other conservation organizations. Many thousands of people wrote in to support this parks designation.

Pinecone Burke encompasses a wilderness corridor of mountains and valleys that stretch from the city of Coquitlams Burke Mountain in the south, to the popular Widgeon Slough canoe area, along the western shore of Pitt Lake to the remote Pinecone Lake alpine area, all the way north to the Boise Valley, Upper Pitt River Watershed and the boundary with Garibaldi Provincial Park. The parks wilderness habitat protects threatened populations of fish and wildlife. The area is very popular with backcountry recreationists. Its nickname is Vancouvers Backyard Wilderness, because of its wild nature in close proximity to the city.

The Proposed Private Power Project

The Upper Pitt hydro project, proposed by a private company, Northwest Cascade Power, Inc. (a wholly owned subsidiary of Run of River, Inc.) is a very large 180 MW (megawatt) project. The company proposes that a large portion of all eight of the major tributaries of the Upper Pitt River system be diverted into over 30 kilometres of large pipes, then run through seven powerhouses to produce electricity. A network of power line corridors would then be clearcut throughout the Upper Pitt Valley, to allow the construction of a series of power lines that would link all seven powerhouses to a main power line. The company proposes that a main power line right of way be cleared to the west, over the pristine Steve Creek/Crawford Creek Pass through the northern portion of Pinecone Burke Park in order to construct a power line that would transmit the power to a substation located just north of the town of Squamish, where it would be added to the Provincial power grid. The Provincial Go!
vernment
has recently started a 60 day review process of the companys proposal to clear the power line right of way through the park. So far the company has not received approval from the Provincial Government for any part of the private power project.

Threats to the Upper Pitt Valley

The Upper Pitt valley is remarkably rich in its wild salmon and wilderness-dependent species. It supports the largest remaining wild coho population in the lower Fraser and has a unique race of sockeye salmon that take up to 6 years to mature. It provides valuable habitat for all species of Pacific salmon plus steelhead, cutthroat trout, Dolly Varden and the largest population of bull trout remaining in the lower mainland. The Upper Pitt River Valley with its higher elevation wilderness parks (including Pinecone Burke Park, Golden Ears Park and Garibaldi Park) supports grizzly bears, wolves, marbled murrelets, wolverine and mountain goats. Because of these wilderness attributes, government biologists selected the Upper Pitt Valley for the re-introduction of Roosevelt elk in 2004. Today, the elk are thriving. Putting a cluster of private power projects in the major tributary streams feeding into this sensitive area, and clearing a spider-web of power line right of ways thr!
oughout
the watershed would be an environmental disaster for the regions fish and wildlife populations.

Threats to Pinecone Burke and our Provincial Park System

The electricity generated by the company is proposed to be taken from the Upper Pitt Valley to a substation located just north of the town of Squamish. The main power line would cross Pinecone Burke Class A Provincial Park from one side to the other, a distance of about 4.6 km, then follow down the Mamquam Valley to the Squamish substation.

Construction of a power line right of way through pristine wilderness in a Class A Park is unprecedented; in fact, it is prohibited under the BC Parks Act. Fears are high that the BC government to get around the law may actually remove park protection for the swath of land needed for the power line right of way through Pinecone Burke Park.

This would set a deadly new precedent for removing park protection, and industrializing other lands within provincial parks and protected areas across the province.

Construction of a power line right of way across Pinecone Burke Park in this mountain pass would interfere with wildlife movement from wilderness areas in Garibaldi Park to southern portions of Pinecone Burke Park and the adjoining protected Coquitlam drinking watershed. The Steve Creek corridor contains sensitive wetlands and critical grizzly bear habitat and the power line right of way is proposed to go straight through this area. An additional concern is that, once constructed, cleared power line corridors can often attract all terrain vehicles and snowmobiles into pristine habitat used by wilderness-dependent species. The company proposes to compensate for ruining this wildlife area by advocating that the provincial government add what appears to be mostly a high elevation rocky ridge to the Park.

Here is what you can do to help save Pinecone Burke Park!

BC Parks Minister Barry Penner has said that he will listen to public sentiment regarding the Pinecone Burke Park. Comments from the public are being solicited until April 2, 2008 on the proposed park boundary change to make way for the proposed power line right of way. Please submit your comments to PineconeBurke@gov.bc.ca . Or mail your comments to Boundary Change Pinecone Burke, c/o BC Parks, PO Box 9398, Stn. Prov. Govt., Victoria, BC, V8W 9M9 or fax to 1-250-387-5757.

Please email a link to this notice to friends, family, co-workers, and other environmental organizations. Post this notice on other web sites, blogs and social networking sites like Facebook that you have access to.

To be informed of upcoming meetings and events, email me at joe@wildernesscommittee.org . Send me a copy of the letter that you have sent re. protecting Pincecone Burke as well as a list of other people, organizations and sites that you have sent this notice to. By working together we can stop the private power play for the Upper Pitt Valley, and save Pinecone Burke Provincial Park. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Joe Foy, Wilderness Committee Campaign Director

FF

Re: Upper Pitt River Power Project Video, Info, and Meeting Dates
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 08:48:03 AM »

We need your help to show support AGAINST this project. We would like to get as many people as possible out to the Pitt Meadows meeting on Feb 28th.

please pass this on:

Pinecone Burke Park and Upper Pitt River Under Threat!

Please help to protect our parks and wild salmon in the Upper Pitt River: A private corporation is proposing boundary changes to Pinecone Burke Provincial Park to allow illegal construction of a hydroelectric transmisson line through pristine wilderness of this Class A Park. Their proposal to divert major tributaries of the Upper Pitt River for electricity generation also pose threats to wild salmon and other species.

Public meetings to discuss the proposed park boundary change will be held in Squamish, Pitt Meadows and MIssion only - despite requests for meetings in Coquitlam and Vancouver. The Open House portion of these meetings starts at 4 pm. Presentations will start at 6:30 pm and be followed by questions and answers. Comments can be submitted via email to PineconeBurke@gov.bc.ca, mailed to Attn: PineconeBurke, BC Parks, Box 9398 Station Prov. Govt., Victoria, BC, V8W 9M9 or faxed to 1-250-387-5757. Deadline for comments is midnight, April 2.

Squamish

Monday, February 25, 2008

Sea to Sky Hotel

40330 Tantalus Way

Garibaldi Highlands, B.C.

V0N 1T0

4:00 p.m. ˆ 9:00 p.m.

Pitt Meadows

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Ramada Inn

19267 Lougheed Highway

Pitt Meadows, B.C.

V2C 1K4

Mission

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Best Western Mission City Lodge

32281 Lougheed Highway

Mission, B.C.

V2V 1A3

FF

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 08:51:52 AM »

Everyone is welcome to the meetings and the more people we get the better. I sure hope all of the Fraser Valley Guides that use this river as well will make an effort to show up give support.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 01:41:01 AM »

Thanks FF. I've also included it in our news section now.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/080218_1.html

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 01:02:47 PM »

Please be aware that the last public input meeting for the Upper Pitt River power project is happening tonight.

Date: Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Time: 6:00pm - 9:00pm
Address: 19438 116B Avenue (at the corner of Blakely Road) Pitt Meadows, BC

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 01:12:37 PM »

I will be there with the Riverside crew.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 02:02:41 PM »

I've been getting some conflicting info on the starting time. Just to clarify, open House begins at 4 pm, presentations at 6:30 pm followed by question/comment opportunity.

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 03:26:54 PM »

thanks for the reminder i just send them my email
girls suck throw rocks at them!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 08:21:17 PM »

I hope the message gets to the "Powers that be" who would sell off water rights and supposedly "Green power" to the unwary. At the end of the day these guys (BC Liberals) get the cheque, and we get the no kiss, slow poke in the dark. They count on the publics lack of interest, apathy and general ignorance of their agenda's to push these things through. They can even persuade lackey's like Barry Penner et al to do their bidding by bamboozling them with political dogma instead of intelligent discourse. Kudos to those who attended for the good of all of us. They have started to call it "fishing interests"on the news. They don't call it the governments sell out of public' parks and environmental concerns. First Nation people probably already know what that feels like.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 09:22:01 PM »

I hope the message gets to the "Powers that be" who would sell off water rights and supposedly "Green power" to the unwary. At the end of the day these guys (BC Liberals) get the cheque, and we get the no kiss, slow poke in the dark. They count on the publics lack of interest, apathy and general ignorance of their agenda's to push these things through. They can even persuade lackey's like Barry Penner et al to do their bidding by bamboozling them with political dogma instead of intelligent discourse. Kudos to those who attended for the good of all of us. They have started to call it "fishing interests"on the news. They don't call it the governments sell out of public' parks and environmental concerns. First Nation people probably already know what that feels like.

The sad thing is they have promised the local Native band jobs at this project in exchange for their support. Sounds just like the days of old when they would trade them their garbage for the native goods. Pretty sad if they fall for that again.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 11:13:58 PM »

Short clip on Global at the 11 news, 1,000 turned out. Rafe Mair was featured. There should be more at 11:30 on CTV.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 11:21:06 PM »

Short clip on Global at the 11 news, 1,000 turned out. Rafe Mair was featured. There should be more at 11:30 on CTV.
thanks for the info chris

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 11:50:17 PM »

More like 1200 people showed up!! Woohoo! Many anglers were there, thanks to Ehor, Alexis, Vic, Gary and of course Rafe Mair for the passionate speeches...

I agree with Gary, the gloves are indeed coming off on this one, if it comes to that.

Cheers,
Nicole

PS> I took a picture of the maps that show the salmon spawning habitats that will be lost on these tributaries if this is allowed to happen... Just plain scary. I will post the maps tomorrow sometime.
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 11:53:28 PM »

Also good to see Mark Angelo taking a hard stand. Hopefully the government is finally getting the message. The gravel issue on the Fraser is important too for preserving fish habitat. A number of presentations coming up on this file.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod