Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Time for a new ocean cooler  (Read 3181 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Time for a new ocean cooler
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2022, 04:00:00 PM »

Hey Spawn Sack just curious if you ordered the Calcutta online or is there a store in the valley that carries them, so I'd be able to check them out. Thanks

Ya Fred's Abby has them in all sizes. Was just in there yesterday. I paid over the phone to Outdoor Essentials in Smithers, BC, where my fam lives. I thought they would be overpriced, but to my surprise they were 50 bucks cheaper than anyone else for the Renegade 125.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2022, 09:51:45 AM »

A couple years ago I was looking for a couple coolers and wanted rotomolded for the performance benefits but had a hard time justifying yeti prices.

I also got steered towards the Calcutta coolers and bought a small 20L for day trips/drinks as well as a larger 55L. Very happy with the performance and while still not cheap by any means, good bang for the buck vs some of the other brands. Very well build and have held up great.

Downside to the rotomolded coolers are their weight but they sure work well. While researching coolers i found a lot of tips out there on how to improve performance and extend the cold time of cooler that often get over looked and then people complain that they spend big bucks on a yeti and it doesn't work any better than a cheap old whatever. Prechilling is a big one, it takes a while to cool down all that insulation in a rotomolded cooler so if you can do that the night before it can literally add days of ice retention. I keep a couple milk jugs in the deepfreeze 3/4 filled with water and frozen that I'll toss in the cooler the night before and then fill it with my food/ice in the morning and it makes a huge difference.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 04:37:00 PM by BNF861 »

danielk

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2022, 01:56:55 PM »

If you put a piece of cardboard cut to the shape of your cooler on top of your food it actually helps keep the cold in a lot     I’ve used dry ice before for a weekend camp trip with the cardboard trick .  It kept ice cream frozen and and we still had a bit of dried ice left.  And that’s on a normal cooler.      I bet a yeti with fry ice would be Insane !!!   

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2022, 01:00:59 PM »

Cardboard! Around moisture/water/ice?! Bah!

Better method is either:

1- Buy some of that foil coated bubble wrap stuff from Home Depot. Comes in rolls of various sizes. Cut a square to fit tight on the inside dimensions of your cooler. Push it down on top of your food/ice.

2- Do the same thing but with that closed cell foam stuff they use for gym floors and similar.

Good tips on pre-chilling by BNF861. I always do this now before a trip and I agree it makes a big difference. Actually when I was contemplating buying the Calcutta for my parents I remembered you saying how much you liked yours. Helped make the choice a bit easier :)

redside1

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2022, 02:59:50 PM »

if anyone has issues moving those larger 75, 100 & 125 litre roto molded coolers around I have seen these in tackle shops. Should help a lot I would think
https://www.calcuttaoutdoors.com/products/cooler-cart?_pos=3&_sid=cdfb0e4b0&_ss=r