Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Time for a new ocean cooler  (Read 3180 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Time for a new ocean cooler
« on: July 09, 2022, 11:22:49 AM »

Looking to buy my dad a new cooler for his ocean boat. He has been using the same Coleman 150 for at least 15 years. Just got back from Rupert, fishing was good, but man that cooler SUCKS!! Might as well put your fish and ice in a tote of similar dimensions.

Speaking of dimensions, it is important that I find a cooler that is pretty much the same size. Otherwise, it will not fit in the spot where the cooler goes. I snuck a few quick measurements when he wasn't looking.

Outside dimensions = 40 inches x 17.5 inches.
Inside dimensions = 39 inches x 16.5 inches x 15 inches deep.

Obviously I'm looking for a significant upgrade from what he has. I believe the correct term is a "roto molded cooler." Yeti, Calcutta, Pelican, Grizzly, something like that.

I have a Lifetime 65 from Costco that I bought a couple years ago. It's awesome! I paid $150, I see now they are $200. But it's way too small, would need about 3 of the damn things for my dad's boat. I know he likes having just one big cooler for the ice/salmon/hali/ling. The boat has a separate cooler in the floor inside plus fridge for their perishable food.

I have no problem buying, say, a Yeti, if they are worth the $$$. If one is just paying for the name, and a knockoff roto molded is more or less the same, then I would probably go for the knock off brand. 

Dragnet

Re: Time for a new ocean cooler
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 08:25:29 PM »

I have a Coleman, probably the exact one your Dad has.  It was bought about 20 yrs. ago at Costco..

I used it for fishing all over the coast and up at the lake, also took it to California 14yrs in a row.  It was excellent and is in superb condition.

It is white , it is a Coleman, has the exact dimensions and no damage, also has the 2 removable dividers inside.

First $ 100 bucks takes it.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 09:05:16 AM »

Are you high?!

First, this is the open discussion forum part of this website, not the buy and sell.
Second, I thought I was pretty clear I was looking for advice on an upgraded roto molded style cooler, not another POS Coleman or similar designed to take beer and food to the beach for a day.
Third, you can get a brand new Coleman or Igloo cooler like this from Costco for what, $150? You be lucky to get $50 for that old Coleman. And yes it does sound exactly like the one my dad has with the removable dividers. It's junk.

Dragnet

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 10:11:43 AM »

Have a GREAT DAY !!!!!!

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2022, 10:45:44 AM »

Have a GREAT DAY !!!!!!

Whatever you smoking I wanna be buying. PM me pls.

Dragnet

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2022, 10:53:53 AM »

Sorry, but the Coleman Cooler was sold as of 10 minutes ago.  Thanks for looking

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2022, 05:09:14 PM »

Sad I missed out on this amazing opportunity.

On a more serious note, I tossed the same convo up on another fishing/hunting site. Got some good replies/info. To summarize:

-Cabelas apparently has some good roto molded coolers. Commenter felt they were comparable to Yeti but more affordable.

-Canadian Tire apparently also has a roto molded cooler that looks like a Yeti knock off.

-One guy wrote that he has owned both Yeti and Calcutta roto molded coolers and the Calcuttas consistently outperformed the Yeti. He said he sold his Yetis and bought more Calcuttas for the 3 weeks hunting trips.

Going to check out Crappy Tire, Cabelas, and Fred's Abby and pick the one that has the closest dimensions to my dad's current cooler. I'm sure any roto molded cooler will be a huge upgrade from his old Coleman.

redside1

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2022, 03:30:01 PM »

Calcutta coolers are great coolers for the price.
I own 3 of them and all my buddies also own them.
4 of us have multiple coolers in the  11, 20, 35 and 55 liter sizes with another buddy owning a 75 & 100 and a 125 liter for his saltwater adventures.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2022, 08:44:59 AM »

Are you high?!

First, this is the open discussion forum part of this website, not the buy and sell.
Second, I thought I was pretty clear I was looking for advice on an upgraded roto molded style cooler, not another POS Coleman or similar designed to take beer and food to the beach for a day.
Third, you can get a brand new Coleman or Igloo cooler like this from Costco for what, $150? You be lucky to get $50 for that old Coleman. And yes it does sound exactly like the one my dad has with the removable dividers. It's junk.

;D ;D
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2022, 11:23:49 AM »

i went with a 145 rtic cooler, basically a knock off of yeti. i dont think i would go any larger. when they get to this size they are really heavy. been happy with it. they go on sale a few times a year

https://rticoutdoors.com/145-QT-Hard-Sided-Cooler?size=145&color=White

also their tie down kit is pretty slick for mounting to the swim deck. i ditched the screws and mounted with stainless bolts.

https://rticoutdoors.com/Cooler-Tie-Down-Kit

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2022, 02:08:39 PM »

I've been keeping my eye on FB Marketplace for a used fishing kayak. The are multiple listings where people have posted their Pelican boats from Costco, priced ABOVE current retail price. It's bizarre :o

I'm also in the market for a used cooler. Too bad Dragnet's sold so quickly. 

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2022, 11:46:00 PM »

Thanks for the replies all. After reading various roto molded cooler reviews, I ended up going with the Calcutta Renegade 125. I'm sure pretty much any roto molded would have been more than adequate. This cooler was the only one I found that was pretty much the exact dimensions I was looking for.
I've been keeping my eye on FB Marketplace for a used fishing kayak. The are multiple listings where people have posted their Pelican boats from Costco, priced ABOVE current retail price. It's bizarre :o

I'm also in the market for a used cooler. Too bad Dragnet's sold so quickly. 

I guess there is a high demand for cheap 20 year old coolers? I'll tell you what, when I give my pops his new Calcutta, I'll ask him if I can have the old Coleman. Give me a bag of those dill pickle almonds from Costco and it's yours. Or, you could buy a brand new Igloo marine cooler from Costco for $150ish, which is big enough to put 4 winter tires in. And, although it's no roto molded, it'll outperform a 20 year old sacked out Coleman.

BMo86

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2022, 09:06:32 AM »

Hey Spawn Sack just curious if you ordered the Calcutta online or is there a store in the valley that carries them, so I'd be able to check them out. Thanks

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2022, 10:11:54 AM »

I guess there is a high demand for cheap 20 year old coolers? I'll tell you what, when I give my pops his new Calcutta, I'll ask him if I can have the old Coleman.

No thanks, I was just hoping to lure Dragnet back to tease him some more ;D

redside1

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2022, 01:29:14 PM »

Hey Spawn Sack just curious if you ordered the Calcutta online or is there a store in the valley that carries them, so I'd be able to check them out. Thanks

Fred's in Abbotsford carries them. I have seen them there in the past.