Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Best" 4-stroke motor and gear oil?  (Read 3681 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
"Best" 4-stroke motor and gear oil?
« on: May 31, 2014, 07:18:46 PM »

My new 5hp outboard is due for it's first motor and gear oil change. After reading the manual and watching a few Utube videos I've decided okay that actually is very easy and I'll do it myself to save a few bucks.

The manual does not specify using marine specific oil, just 10w-30 four stroke oil. Should I use oil designed for marine motors, or is this just marketing to get consumers to spend more $? Also is there any reason not to use synthetic oil in an outboard? I run Mobil1 synthetic 10w-30 in both of our vehicles and have extra on hand I could use on the outboard.

Wondering the same for the gear oil. Manual says to use SAE 90. Would synthetic and/or marine specific be worth the extra $?

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: "Best" 4-stroke motor and gear oil?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 07:08:36 PM »

I emailed Lehr to see what they had to say. Their response was that any 10w-30 oil would do, but they reccomend regular oil for the break in period and after that the use of synthetic oil was fine is desired.

Apparently Amsoil is good stuff. Looking on their website I'm thinking of using this oil for the motor:

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/4-stroke/10w-30-synthetic-formula-4-stroke-marine-oil/?code=WCTQT-EA

And this oil for the gears:

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/universal-synthetic-marine-gear-lube/?code=AGMTB-EA

Yes these oils are expensive but the motor takes so little of each oil the cost doesn't really bother me.

Anyone know an Amsoil dealer in Chilliwack? Canadian Tire has some but not what I'm looking for. I think Lordco also carries it?

stsfisher

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 07:33:27 PM »

What kind of motor is it?
   I have a mercury 4 stroke and it specifies a marine Mercury synthetic 25-40 to be used. I do my own maintenance because I can and feel that not using anything but what they recommend would be foolish. This goes for all fluids and greases/gear oil that are recommended in the owners manual. Its a piece of mind just in case a warranty issue where to happen as I know they can test your fluids to see what your using. Something about using motor oil for a car just doesn't seem right, considering most of the time your boat motor is running at a higher RPM than your car. I'm thinking this may be a factor when choosing an oil. ( I am not a mechanic so I may be wrong as well)
 Seeing as your motor is new I think it would be in your best interest to find your owners manual and follow their recommendations at least until your warranty time frame is up. Then its on you if and when something comes up.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 08:19:15 PM »

He has one of the chinese Hideo/Lehr/Sail/Coleman motors.

Propane one, maybe?

I have nothing to add other than I use the Merc stuff in my Merc 5hp.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 09:41:39 PM »

It's a Lehr 5hp...propane!! ;D

http://golehr.com/lehr-marine/

I went out on a bit of a limb on this purchase, however the limited forum discussions I found online etc it seems everyone who has one loves it!

I only have about 15hrs on the motor but so far I'm quite happy with it. Starts first or 2nd pull stone cold.

The owners manual just says to use regualr 10w-30. Lehr's response from my email was to use whatever oil I like including synthetic after the motor is broken in, which it is now. If I can get my hands on some good marine synthetic like the Amsoil I'll probably use that. If noone locally carries it I'll probbaly just say bugger it and buy whatever they reccomend at Cascade.

fish fishburn

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 01:51:24 PM »

I would use the Amsoil 4 stroke oil and their gear oil for that matter . Both are fully synthetic and in my opinion it is the best product available. I have been using it in my outboards for almost 20 yrs and my motors never need a mechanic except for general maintenance. And no I am not affiliated with Amsoil.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 02:06:11 PM »

Thanks fish fishburn, I found an Amsoil dealer in Chilliwack and am going to be picking up the 4 stroke and gear oil later this eve. I plan to keep this motor for a long time and want to keep it running tip top! I'm sure regular oil is more than sufficent, I just happen to like synthetics and have been running them in all sorts of other engines for years so I figured why not my outboard too?

iCemAn

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 09:30:33 PM »

I used Royal Purple gear oil for my hubs on my trailer this year and so far so good. My buddy uses it in all his bikes and says its worth the money. Canadian Tire does sell it but it is pricey.
Teach a man to fish and he'll play with his fly all day!