Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wanting advice on new baitcasting rod  (Read 44380 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Wanting advice on new baitcasting rod
« on: January 03, 2014, 09:10:57 PM »

I'm hoping ya'll can give me some advice on buying my next baitcasting rod. I currently have three:

#1 = Shimano Convergence. 10"6, 12-20lb line rating, 3/4-1.5oz lure rating, medium power, slow action. This is my favorite of the the three rods. It's nice and light (best feature for me), and balances well with the two reels I fish on it: a 301 Shimano Currado 301E and a 6501 Abu. The only down side to this rod is when fishing faster water or even in slower water with a big chum or spring on it seems a bit out-gunned. Neverless, I fish this rod most of the time.

#2 = Shimano Convergence. 10"6, 12-25 line rating, 3/4-2oz lure rating, med/heavy power, slow action. I rarely use this rod as it's just a bit too heavy that I find it tiring to fish after a while. Seems like I am "fighting the tip" whereas with the lighter version of this rod (#1) it balances nicely in the hand. When I do use this rod I usually slap a bigger reel on it: my Shimano Cardiff 401 or Abu 7001. The extra weight seems to baalnces the rod better and is less tiring to fish, even though the reel makes the overall weight heavier.

#3 = Shimano Technium. 11"6, 12-25 line rating, 3/4-2oz lure rating, med/heavy power, med/fast action. I rarely use this rod too. It is a BEAST and has hauled in many a big fish on the Vedder and Fraser. But it is heavy and needs one of the heavier reels listed with rod #2 to balance it. It has so much power that it is overkill for most fish in the Vedder (where I fish primarily) so I don't use it that often. However if the water is high/fast and I'm going after springs especially, I will bring out this meat stick.

I am looking for a new rod most like #1. Something nice and light that is well balanced, and will pair up well with my Currado 301E especially, as well as the 6501 Abu (I fish the Currado most of the time). I'm also probably going to buy a Calcutta 201B eventually and would like to use this reel on my new rod as well. It would be nice if it had a bit more power than rod #1, not much is needed, but a bit extra would be nice. I like the 10"6 length, but could handle going a bit longer.

I'm not in the market for a Sage or other rods in that price range. However I'm not looking for another Shimano or other "cheap" rod. I'm looking for something really sweet that won't break the bank. Say in the $300 range. The rod will be used for float fishing (I have other 9" rods for tossing spoons + spinners, etc).

Also, in the event someone has a lightly used rod that matches what I'm looking for and wants to sell it, I would be interested. Thanks in advance to all that apply.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 02:31:29 PM by Spawn Sack »

1son

Re: Wanting advice on new baitcasting rod
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 09:37:49 PM »

I've got #1 on your list paired up with a c4 and have been using it for the last 3 years drifting fishing your local rivers with no issues at all. Have caught tons of monster spring/chum/coho/steelhead over the years and still going hard with the amount of abuse it's taken. I would say it's the best all around rod it's nice and light and has some good sensitivity, I wouldn't really go any higher in ratings or length I personally think it holds up well from my experience and especially for the price you get it for can't go wrong plus it's got a lifetime warranty I believe so if anything happens to it just return to shimano.

lapa

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 09:47:02 PM »

I would recommend GLoomis  SAR 1265C rod. Line range 10-40, weight 2-8 oz. It designed for ocean fishing but it is excellent for river fishing too.  Very light. You should be able to land any fish on any river(Fraser including).  Very well balanced with Daiwa Luna 300 or ABU 6500. You should be able to find new one around 265$ or used (in good condition) for 180-200$.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 09:48:52 PM »

I've got #1 on your list paired up with a c4 and have been using it for the last 3 years drifting fishing your local rivers with no issues at all. Have caught tons of monster spring/chum/coho/steelhead over the years and still going hard with the amount of abuse it's taken. I would say it's the best all around rod it's nice and light and has some good sensitivity, I wouldn't really go any higher in ratings or length I personally think it holds up well from my experience and especially for the price you get it for can't go wrong plus it's got a lifetime warranty I believe so if anything happens to it just return to shimano.
I agree 100% it's an awesome rod and you can't argue with the price I think it was $100 taxes in :o

And I don't "need" a new rod, #1 functions perfectly and I love it, honestly I just want a new toy, and a better toy than my current toys :)

If I can find something even lighter that #1, with better balance, better sensitivity, and a bit more backbone/power I would be a happy man. That being said I am not looking to get into a custom Sage, etc. If I can not find something I am confident in buying for a reasonable price them I'll just stick with the Shimanos.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 09:52:52 PM »

I would recommend GLoomis  SAR 1265C rod. Line range 10-40, weight 2-8 oz. It designed for ocean fishing but it is excellent for river fishing too.  Very light. You should be able to land any fish on any river(Fraser including).  Very well balanced with Daiwa Luna 300 or ABU 6500. You should be able to find new one around 265$ or used (in good condition) for 180-200$.

Holy crap! 10-40lb line rating and 2-8oz lure rating! That would pull my car out of a ditch! :o How long is this rod? I've heard some guys say the rod rating really need to be taken with a grain of salt, and it's hard to compare one brand of rod to another based purely on the specs. I will check this rod out, but based on the specs it sounds like way more beef than I'm looking for.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 07:38:42 AM »

Looking at these rods right now on Gloomis' website. You're right, although they are ocean rods they also reccomend them for river fishing.

The 1265 is a 10"6, 10-40lb line rating, 2-8oz lure rating, moderate action, heavy power. I'm by no means a rod spec expert, but it looks to me like this is a big step up in power compared to my rod #1, and probably more than I'm looking for.

What do you think of the 1363? It's an 11"4, 10-20lb line rating (close to the 12-20 I like on rod #1), 3/8 - 1oz lure rating (close to the 3/4 - 1.5oz I like on rod #1), med-heavy power, fast action.

http://www.gloomis.com/publish/content/gloomis_2010/us/en/conventional/rods/classic_salmon___steelhead/classic_salmon.html

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 11:43:20 AM »

Not that I'm by any means stuck on Gloomis, but lapa got me started on their rods so I've been surfing their site (should be FISHING today, but stuck at work, grrrr...what a nice day out!) >:(

Didn't see much I liked under their "steelhead series" salmon and steelhead rods. All are 9"8 or shorter. Too short. Under the "salmon series" all apear to be too beefy for what I'm looking for. Under the "float series" ahhhh...now we're talking!! :) I like the looks of the STFR 1363S. 11"4, 8-12lb line rating, 1/4-3/4 lure rating, mod/fast action, med/light power. The price is a bit more than I'm looking to pay though...

http://www.gloomis.com/publish/content/gloomis_2010/us/en/conventional/rods/salmon___steelhead/float.html

Mainly talking out my a** here as I don't know a lot about rods I'll be the first to admit. Curious what those with a lot more knowledge in this area have to say.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 12:29:35 PM »

When I first started fishing I went through a bunch of the mid to cheaper range rods and I still have my convergence as a backup rod, great rod IMO. However I did decide to make a step up and try something a little more expensive and I went with Gloomis. The rods are light, built to last (also lifetime warranty) and they are generally just fun rods to fish with. Now I also have a sage and loomis does not compare but my sage is custom built and cost me double so it shouldn't be the same. I have 3 rods from loomis, one is a 8'6 6-12lb, really light, great for small steams and tossing hardware. The step up is an 11'3 7-15lb, hard rod to find and is still really light, great steelhead and coho rod, handles chum but big springs are iffy. The other rod is a center pin rod backup. Now Gloomis makes great rods for the price, however I find they are mostly for the coho and steelhead, if you want to beef it up you can but to me that kinda kills the light type feel of the loomis rods.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 05:33:37 PM »

Steely, I am liking the sounds of the second rod you described. That is pretty much what I'm looking for: as light as possible with just a bit more backbone/power than rod #1 in my initial posting. Mainly for coho, chum et , and if I get the odd monster on and am clearly outgunned oh well I can always straighten the rod and snap the leader. What is the name of this loomis rod you speak of? Can you still buy then new? If you don't mind pls take a look at the 2 rods above I have links to and let me know what you think of their specs. It is very important that I don't get a rod that's too noodley as I would definitely not want a rod that has less fighting power than my rod #1. Like I said ideally just a wee bit more, but lighter and better balanced.

Silex-user

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 05:47:14 PM »

Check out Lamiglass rods they have some nice drift rods too.

Silex-user

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 06:21:29 PM »

Well unfortunatly the shimano convergence is beefier then all the rods I mentioned. If you are looking for something with more power then your looking at something like a 12-25lb type rod. I just find that to get the full effect of a more expensive rod I sacrificed power for the fun of playing a fish on a lighter rod. For steelhead and coho these rods are great but if you want something with more power then your shimano your looking at a more expensive technium basically. However it is all personal feel but that's the way I look at it. Also the second one I mentioned I bought off of somebody and have not seen one like it anywhere however the 11'4 you mentioned is very similar I'm sure.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 06:23:46 PM by Steely »
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 06:46:30 PM »

I would fish the Convergance and put some money aside every now and then.
When you have enough,buy a Sage 2106lb .
In the whole scheme of things it wont cost you in the long run and you will be fishing a premier stick and components with a great warranty.

I loved my old convergance until I broke it but my Sage 3106 has been bullet proof with not a sign of loose thread etc. after about 10 years use now.
I just wish I had been more patient and got the 2106lb.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 06:48:04 PM by firstlight »

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 08:13:34 PM »

Look for something in the same line rating/power(may have to up it to mh) as your convergance but with a moderate/moderate fast action....this will give you the extra backbone in the bottom...http://www.fethastyx.com/Chrome  ..built on rainshadow blanks....in the price range you wanted...riverside in poco is listed as a dealer..
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 04:12:30 PM by Spoonman »
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 10:16:19 PM »

Well unfortunatly the shimano convergence is beefier then all the rods I mentioned. If you are looking for something with more power then your looking at something like a 12-25lb type rod. I just find that to get the full effect of a more expensive rod I sacrificed power for the fun of playing a fish on a lighter rod. For steelhead and coho these rods are great but if you want something with more power then your shimano your looking at a more expensive technium basically. However it is all personal feel but that's the way I look at it. Also the second one I mentioned I bought off of somebody and have not seen one like it anywhere however the 11'4 you mentioned is very similar I'm sure.

Hmmm...I don't want to get another 12-25lb rod. I have two (listed at start of thread). I'm not sure if there is a power rating between 12-20 and 12-25 (?) Anyone care to comment?

Would you mind giving the number of the loomis rod you have (despite is being hard to get)?

You say the 11"4 rod I mentioned is similar to your rod, however I mentioned two 11"4 rods. One is 10-20lb rating, and the other is 8-12lb rating.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 10:22:35 PM »

Look for something in the same line rating/power(may have to up it to mh) as your convergance but with a moderate/moderate fast action....this will give you the extra backbone in the bottom...http://www.fethastyx.com/Chrome  ..built on rainshadow blanks....in the price range you wanted...riverside in poco is as a dealer..

Firstlight, thank you I will check out the Sage 2106lb. Probably more than I want to spend but hey it can't hurt to look and consider it.

Spoon man, alright I will try to find something in the same line rating as you said. I'm pretty sure I do not want to go up to med-heavy power, or maybe I do? My 10-25 line rods are too beefy for my liking, but maybe the med-heavy power has less to do with it than the line rating? In other words, maybe 10-20 line rating in med/heavy will be what I'm looking for? I'll have to do more research on rod rating as I pretty much get what they all mean, however I get confused when comparing diferent actions, powers, etc.

Any opinion on the two loomis rods listed earlier? (11"4 #1363 series rods, one in 10-20lb line rating and the other in 8-12lb line)?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 11:16:24 PM by Spawn Sack »