Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for advice on new truck + camper  (Read 20026 times)

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
Re: Looking for advice on new truck + camper
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2013, 12:21:52 PM »

you know that no factory truck comes with air bags for LOAD right. suspension modds are important when hauling heavy loads safely.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2013, 01:08:09 PM »

He's not talking about a heavy load.  My point is, he is looking to carry a lightweight camper and a small boat.  This wouldn't require modifications to a full sized domestic truck. 

And can't new Rams can come with factory airbags?

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2013, 01:23:11 PM »

hes actually considering a camper on a tacoma and small boat. i have no experience what yota's suspension can handle but on an f150 with a camper i would highly recommend air bags. in the end its up to him, we are just giving him suggestions and informing him before his purchase. my f350 is sacked with out the bags and my camper is 2500lbs dry. prob closer to 3500lbs with all my stuff in it. another nice thing is you can level out if the terrain is un even when your setting up camp. the new ram comes with air suspension as an option but i think the goal with that system is fuel economy.

tanked_darren

• I love to troll
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2013, 10:23:46 AM »

ford have sold prob close to 3/4 of a million ecoboost since 2009 so i am sure your going to have a few ones with an issue and intill you drive one you wont understand anyway. we have sold a ton at our dealership and haven't had 1 truck come in for troubles. don't believe everything you read on the interwebs. again the 6.0 vortech is a great engine but its a gas hog. lucky to get 10mpg unloaded. with gas being $1.50 a litre that doesn't cut it.
You've drummed ecoboost the last 3 pages.
Works at a Ford dealership...
Haven't had 1 come in for troubles... 
I don't believe everything I read on the interwebs, that is for sure!
Before you get bent out of shape about me saying I only saw 1 motor blow up remember I said we got like 50 trucks not a dealership either, industrial work site, and the body falls apart before the motor because they rot out from the environment.
We have one Ford at work.  It sucks.

Now I don't hate Ford, in fact I am quite fond of the F-350 diesels, well the new ones at least.  Also I like Dodge, so I am not a fanboy.  Just offering my 2 cents

I have driven 2 ecoboosts as rentals as well.  V-8 N/A all the way still.

Thanks for your input on my suggestion though!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:31:47 AM by tanked_darren »

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2013, 10:49:51 AM »

dont get me wrong, i like all domestics. i wish my f350 had a cummins but i am stuck with my 6L. one day i will buck up and get a new one but not yet. as i said early 6.0 vortech is a good motor just a little harsh at the pumps.

TacoChris

« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2013, 05:02:52 PM »

I have seen Taco's with campers. I would drive down to Sport Trucks Unlimited  for advise. They deal with a lot of Taco's. They are know for weak springs in the older models not sure if the same problem exists in the newer ones. I would think it would need some modifacations. Many light duty trucks need them for campers. You wll see a lot of my friend end low trucks out there.

I would not put a 12ft boat on top of a camper of any truck. Trailer the boat or you may be able to mount on the back. You would have to research that with the RV dealer.

Older style Taco's are prone to frame rust I am sure they have fixed that years ago.

I still drive a 98 best vehicle I have ever owned.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2013, 08:34:50 PM »

I would buy a hard transom inflatable zodiac/avon etc and eliminate the need to tow or roof mount anything with the trailer.

And to beat the dead horse of your "Looking for advice on new truck", request.

If it were my $35K, I would get a Ram Outdoorsman or Sport (the same price as a loaded up Taco) or a 4x4 Double cab Tundra SR5 5.7L with the $6K off incentive going on right now, comes in about $35K.

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2013, 11:38:00 PM »

Okay I will chime in. Sorry, been away on a 2 week stillwater trout excursion  ;D

I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport with a 2009 Four Wheel Eagle Camper. First off, I have never achieved the mileage posted with my Tacoma. Today, on my drive home with camper and pram I got about 380kms with the tank (probably had about 1/16 of a tank left). I usually only get about 450-500kms with a tank. My Four Wheel Eagle camper weighs in at 690lbs and my pram is approximately 85lbs. I know that Toyota has done some changes to their engine programming to make them have better fuel economy since my 2006 Tacoma. It would be interesting to hear the fuel mileage from a Taco owner with a newer truck (2010 and newer) who is towing or hauling.
Anyways, most of you guys have pointed out the obvious benefits to a pop-up camper. I chose my camper because it suited my needs the best. I wanted a lightweight camper whereby I could load/unload my pram by myself, so the pop-up was the best solution. I needed a unit that could get me into some harder to access spots, so a trailer for the boat was out of the question.

Here is my rig:

I saw this Tundra with a Four Wheel Hawk camper and two boats in Kamloops last week:

By the way, Four Wheel campers are very hard to find. Owners are really attached to them and very rarely part with them. Check out http://www.wanderthewest.com/index.php/home
which is a great site and forum for pop-up campers. There is a alot of information there from Four Wheel camper owners.

Randofish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2013, 06:22:31 PM »

My Buddies Dad bought the new Eco boost F150 last yr.
Blew Tranny couple weeks back on the Coq.
Only 12,000 km on it. Not impressed but still like the truck.
Heard rumors of weak trannies in them.
Buddy from work got the 5L V8 F150 2112 and loves it.
He has full sized camper and tows a trailer with boat and cargo and handles it fine.
He did add the airbags of course.
I got the new ram 1500 hemi and love it.
Eats the Coq like it doesn't exist and way better mileage than my Dodge 5.9L.
New truck averaged 15L per 100k at 120km/hr.
The hemi doesn't have to work very hard at all.
Buddies 4.7L ram works hard on the Coq and costs him more than me...lol.
Just my 2 cents.
Hope you find what you need.
Happy Shopping.
Rando.... will be heading up the Coq in the morning for 4 days of flyfishing 8)
The Fishin Musician

SpiritualGuy

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2013, 06:55:59 PM »

Hey Yoda can you send me an email as I lost your contact number Bro, it is Jamie Kirby and i wanted to ask you some questions about the upcoming Salmon season. kirby76@shaw.ca or my work email jamie@pocoinsurance.com. THanks.