Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for advice on new truck + camper  (Read 20025 times)

dereke

• Old Timer
Re: Looking for advice on new truck + camper
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 06:19:31 PM »

I love my 2012 tacoma!

You won't be disappointed!
As far as complaints of lack of power and gas mileage the same as the big three I disagree. No issue towing and my fuel economy is pretty good
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 06:22:51 PM by dereke »
always a student

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 08:46:50 PM »

Good to hear it works for you.  Some people have no problem with 10 year old engine technology.  An SR5 Double Cab 4x4 is $32,500. 

Others would opt for a Ford 150 with a 5.0L V8, with 360 hp and 380 lb.-ft. of torque, a 10,000 lb tow rating and a payload of 3,120 lbs for carrying a camper.  For essentially the same price and same fuel economy as the Taco.

Or a loaded Ram Quad Cab Outdoorsman Edition with 390 HP is $32,300 and will carry the camper and all the gear with barely feeling it.  The loaded to the nuts BigHorn Edition is $34,500.

$34,100 will get you the Ram HFE with Pentastar V6 with the awesome 8 speed tranny and offers combined economy in the 20s and can still tow 6500lbs.

Food for thought.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 07:03:42 AM »

If you buy a new Toyota with the correct options you might get a payload of 2000lbs.
This camper looks nice at 1750lbs, add water and propane (260lbs) its now over your limit without gear.
http://www.northern-lite.com/truck_camper_lite_85.html

6'10 Ultra lite will work perfect for a toyota

http://www.northern-lite.com/truck_camper_lite_610.html

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 07:40:13 AM »

Agreed. All what you are looking for I guess. I know more than a few up here in northern Alberta where i work all who own domestic trucks and have had multiple issues most being dodge and ford all with near new trucks. There are a bunch of Toyota owners as well and I don't know one who has had the issues with thier truck aside from a power steering hose that went on an '07 tundra. Both the tundras and tacomas are in my opinion mechanically a superior vehicle. Not to mention the resale value comparison isn't even close. I'm sure there are examples of lemon Toyotas out there but I have yet to meet a disappointed Toyota owner. You Get what you pay for more often than not.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 07:52:36 AM by dereke »
always a student

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 07:46:50 AM »

You must have the best made 4.0 litre ever.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/tacoma/gas%20v6/truck

99% of users get between 14 and 24mpg.  Most are right around 17mpgs

Anyhoo, I'm not trying to sell you on a domestic.  But you can get a pretty loaded up, quad cab 4x4 F150 for $32K with a bumper to bumper warranty. 

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/f-150, most users are getting 16mpgs with newer F150s.

As you mentioned, a used Tundra is a great option too though.  Either way, I'd go V8 and skip the Taco.

Haha maybe I do! My dash "avg fuel consumption" usually reads 10-10.5 L/100km over the course of a tank. I think that's around 22-25 MPG. My driving habits likely help. I do 100km/h on the highway unless, on the odd day, if I'm running late and need to speed. I really don't get people who are on time and still drive at 110kmh + (like my girlfriend). I try to tell her that first, you're in the "ticket range" and second the aerodynamic drag (esp with a truck) at such speeds really suck up a lot more gas!

I also keep my tires properly inflated and keep the vehicle in tip top running condition. I doubt it make a diff, but I also run full synthetic "energy conserving" oil in the motor. Anyway, this is the milage I get consistently, and even a bit better on an all highway road trip.

I was talking to a guy at work yesterday who has an 09 Tacoma V6. He said he avgs about 600km a tank and cruises at 115km/hish on the highway.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »

go drive a new eco boost f150. you will never look at another 1/2 ton again. more power than a hemi v8 and the fuel mileage of a v6. i would own one but my bigfoot is to heavy. the difference between a tacoma and domestics is domestics do real work. sure they need service more often but they get worked harder than the toyota especially on the rigs. we had a 2011 f350 yesterday in our shop that had 250000km already. dont think it ever turned off. dont get me wrong they are great trucks but if you need to get more things done than towing a small boat look elsewhere. anyway here is a pick of my rig all loaded up minus the griz.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 10:35:20 AM »

Good to hear it works for you.  Some people have no problem with 10 year old engine technology.  An SR5 Double Cab 4x4 is $32,500. 

Others would opt for a Ford 150 with a 5.0L V8, with 360 hp and 380 lb.-ft. of torque, a 10,000 lb tow rating and a payload of 3,120 lbs for carrying a camper.  For essentially the same price and same fuel economy as the Taco.

Or a loaded Ram Quad Cab Outdoorsman Edition with 390 HP is $32,300 and will carry the camper and all the gear with barely feeling it.  The loaded to the nuts BigHorn Edition is $34,500.

$34,100 will get you the Ram HFE with Pentastar V6 with the awesome 8 speed tranny and offers combined economy in the 20s and can still tow 6500lbs.

Food for thought.

"10 year old technology"...hmmm...yeah those darn Japanses eh? So archaic. They really need to get with the times. True, the Tacoma has been changed little over the years and, especially in the interior, could use a bit of a facelift. However it is an outdoorman's truck, so if you desire a blue tooth activated cigar lighter, you're probably better off with a "pimped out" domestic truck. One thing I would LOVE to see in North America is Tacomas with the 3.0L diesel!! I was in Thailand for 5 weeks over the winter and every Tacoma (Hilux) had the 3.0 D. I want one!! :(

As for the V6 motor, it's bullet proof. Perfect for a zombie apocolapse. You know the ain't broke motto? When I see all these "totally redesigned" motors by Ford, GMC, etc I think to myself...totally haven't worked the bugs out yet, nightmare waiting to happen! Like my poor buddy who recently had the motor on his F-350 diesel blow after 150,000k. Apparently was a design flaw with the motor. New motor is $14,000ish - thanks Ford!

Don't get me wrong, some of the domestic full sized trucks are amazing to drive. Got a lift home the other day in a coworkers 1500 Ram Long Horn edition. WOW, what an amazing ride - and the interior! The leather! I just don't think I would buy a used domestic with no warranty. If I could afford a new one with full warranty - no problem!

I don't buy the fuel specs on the new trucks you described one bit. The new F-150 with the 5.0 for example, perhaps that's the #'s Ford puts out. A buddy of mine has one, which he loves, but he says he get's about 500km to 90L. A V6 Tacoma or 4Runner might get that if you were driving it like you stole it!

In the end I don't need a 360hp, 3000+ lbs of pay load etc. That being said I don't want a 4.0 Tacoma if it's going to be a dog carrying a 1000ish LB camper plus towing small boat. From what I have read, though, I don't think it would be. After a bit more research and visiting a couple RV dealers (and the Toyota dealer) it'll either be the V6 Tacoma or V8 Tundra.

True domestic trucks are cheaper to buy but, as another writer pointed out, they are worth a lot less of their purchase price whe you go to sell it down the road. IMO you can either pay now or pay later. I'd rather pay more up front and get a truck that is likely to be more reliable.

Nonetheless, Damian, I appreciate your comments. In fact I like dissenting opinion as it makes me question if I'm buying what suits my needs or just what I like. Everybody agreeing = boring..zzz...zzz

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 10:41:34 AM »

Agreed. All what you are looking for I guess. I know more than a few up here in northern Alberta where i work all who own domestic trucks and have had multiple issues most being dodge and ford all with near new trucks. There are a bunch of Toyota owners as well and I don't know one who has had the issues with thier truck aside from a power steering hose that went on an '07 tundra. Both the tundras and tacomas are in my opinion mechanically a superior vehicle. Not to mention the resale value comparison isn't even close. I'm sure there are examples of lemon Toyotas out there but I have yet to meet a disappointed Toyota owner. You Get what you pay for more often than not.

x2. Toyota all the way! I'm on my 7th vechile, which is my first Toyota. ZERO problems after 4 years. Our other vehicle, the 4Runner, zero issues after 2 years and we bought it 4 years old with 100,000km. Previous domestic cars and trucks I've had always had issues. Got rid of my 02 Trail Blazer 6 months after the warranty was up as it was in the shop every 6 months with a all sorts of drivetrain issues, electrical issues, etc. IMO the Toyotas made in Japan (4Runner) etc are better than the ones made in North America.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 11:10:33 AM »

diesel motors dont blow for no reason, and fyi international makes fords diesel engines not ford except for the newest one. i personally think you will be much happier with the tundra. that poor 4.0 in the tacoma only makes 236 hp. ouch. but pls pls test drive an eco boost for shits and giggles before you make your purchase. friend of mine was in the same boat as you. wanted a tacoma then drove the eco boost and never looked back. an xtr ecoboost are in the mid 30's and they will hold their value like any toyota.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 11:35:19 AM »

and if your budget allows you go with big foot or northern lite campers. they cost a bit more but in the long run they are worth every penny especially if you store it outside. no wood = no wood rot.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 11:49:10 AM »

diesel motors dont blow for no reason, and fyi international makes fords diesel engines not ford except for the newest one. i personally think you will be much happier with the tundra. that poor 4.0 in the tacoma only makes 236 hp. ouch. but pls pls test drive an eco boost for shits and giggles before you make your purchase. friend of mine was in the same boat as you. wanted a tacoma then drove the eco boost and never looked back. an xtr ecoboost are in the mid 30's and they will hold their value like any toyota.

They certainly do not blow up for no reason. The reason is it was a poor design and prone to failure right off the show room floor. Where does International hire their engineers from, a college co-op program? I car pooled with the guy with the blown motor for a year and I know for certain that he babied it, all dealer serviced, only towed for a couple weeks each summer, etc. Ford Canada and the dealer he bought it from were unsympathetic. Of course the dealer he bought the truck from offered him a "smokin deal" on a new truck + trade. Wow. In the end he opted for a new motor with warranty and the original crap parts replaced. I feel terrible for the guy but it was still a lot cheaper to buy the new motor than buy a new truck.

As far as the eco boost F150 goes I would certainly test drive one. As far as holding their value as well as a Tacoma I'm calling bollocks on that one! Everyone knows the Japanese vehicles, especially high end models like the 4Runners, Tacomas, etc hold their value better than the domestics.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2013, 11:53:06 AM »

and if your budget allows you go with big foot or northern lite campers. they cost a bit more but in the long run they are worth every penny especially if you store it outside. no wood = no wood rot.

Good point, I never considered that. Camper would likely be stored outside. I'm liking the looks of the Northern Lite 6"10 untralight. About 1000lbs. Appears to have sufficent room for the 2 of us. Will go to Oconnor in the Wack sometime soonish and check them out, prices, etc. Am in no big rush to buy.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2013, 12:21:31 PM »

they will hold they value trust me. EVERYBODY wants one. we cannot keep a used one on the lot for longer than a couple of days. this domestic is a exception to the rules. my old man just borrowed one from the lease department to drive to trail from richmond. he loved it. great mileage and power. he wants one so bad now lol. as for your buddys diesel he probably didnt see the signs that things were going south. they will tell you. every diesel auto manufactor has had troubles complying with strict new emissions laws. first 2003 than 2008 and finally 2011. even the heavy duty trucks has had its fair share of problems. i have haD the egr deleted on my truck since 2007 so i have never had any issues personally, but like i tell everyone, only buy a diesel if you need one.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2013, 12:57:30 PM »

that 6"10 would be fine for the tacoma. just dont expect to be pulling much behind it.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2013, 01:37:11 PM »

they will hold they value trust me. EVERYBODY wants one. we cannot keep a used one on the lot for longer than a couple of days. this domestic is a exception to the rules. my old man just borrowed one from the lease department to drive to trail from richmond. he loved it. great mileage and power. he wants one so bad now lol. as for your buddys diesel he probably didnt see the signs that things were going south. they will tell you. every diesel auto manufactor has had troubles complying with strict new emissions laws. first 2003 than 2008 and finally 2011. even the heavy duty trucks has had its fair share of problems. i have haD the egr deleted on my truck since 2007 so i have never had any issues personally, but like i tell everyone, only buy a diesel if you need one.

Haha alright alright I'll at least checkem out. I'm not sure how old this eco boost motor is but if it's hot off the production line I'd personally give it a year or two to see if any major design flaws surface. Who makes the eco boost? Triton? Fisher price? Haha just kidding ;)