Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sockeye flies  (Read 11837 times)

mastercaster

• Old Timer
Re: sockeye flies
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 01:55:46 PM »

If socks don't bite on the upper fraser then why ?????? do guides take clients to fly fish for them and then take pictures of their catch with the fly squarely in the corner of the mouth and publish the pic on their
brochures ? 
I  don't believe that guiding outfits are being dis-genuine.  Believe it socks do bite a fly in the upper fraser. Socks travel close to shore in slower shallow clearer water when they aren't harassed by predators / flossers. Socks have very good eye sight ,hence their trademark large eyes, and can see and will take a presented fly in water that seems to us as liimiited visibility.

Not all flossed fish get hooked on the outside of the mouth.  If I wanted to take pictures of those fish with hooks in their mouths I could have.  Still doesn't mean I didn't feel the fish surging down the leader before setting the hook!

I will agree with fish being hooked by "biters" on some clearer water systems...just don't believe the Fraser falls into that category.  If, however, you got hookups in slower water on the retrieve I may become a believer because so far over the last decade or so every sockeye I've hooked on the fly in the Fraser has been on the swing.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 07:53:21 AM »

Mastercaster did specify that sockeye need to be flossed in coloured water like the Fraser - and I'd say he's 99.997% correct.  Socks do take a fly in clearer water like the Harrison and Vedder.  IMHO, two factors come to play.  One is water clarity (pretty obvious), and another is that the fish become more aggressive and territorial in their "home" waters.  My first sockeye on the fly was in the Harrison in 2003 and it was one of the best fighting fish I can remember.  It was a 7 - 8 lb chrome buck that took an egg sucking leech.  I'm sure many of you have come across aggressive sockeye on the Vedder - to the point where it was gets tough to get through to the red springs!  Not to complain, these are nice fish...

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 11:27:25 AM »

I have caught them on the fly in the Thompson and the Fraser by Lillooet.

Newsman  I tried to email you but the address in your profile does not work. Just wanted a little info about Lillooet if you feel like sharing. Want to get out with the spey or the single hander for some socks......PM me or my email is derekerlandson@live.com. Any info is appreciated.

Derek
always a student

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 06:34:15 PM »

www.anglingbc.com/index.cfm/page/94/Setups.html

An article from 2007 by an unamed author. He recounts his successful  methods and efforts on the Fraser for socks on the fly.   Read further into the article and he reveals some very interesting migratory characteristics on socks as well as other salmonids.

Also his view on the ethics of flossing.

This will be my last post on this thread as I don't want it to turn into the proverbiial " dead horse ".  I hope this article gives other fishers the insight on the technique to present a fly to acheive a greater catch % when fly fishing for socks or to those fishers who want to try an alternative to flossing and escape getting sucked into the quicksand of flossing ethics.  Socks do bite flies, this author and I have shared the experience of playing a fly caught sockeye and it's tremendous. Those who are interested pm me and I'll gladly help you " hook up"

tight lines
It ain't the roe bro'

ricer

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 07:19:27 AM »

anybody fly fish for them out in the salt?  I am interested in learning about line type, method and fly type out there.  I know that we used to use small red hoochies when my dad used to commercial troll out there.