Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crankbait kits  (Read 3473 times)

KarateKick

Crankbait kits
« on: July 07, 2017, 11:36:52 PM »

Canadian Tire is selling Bagley crankbait packs, each with three crankbaits specifically for trout, bass, crappie, pike or walleye. I have never seen anyone around here using these things. Has anyone of you had success with crankbaits in local waters?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Crankbait kits
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 08:25:11 AM »

I'd say it wouldn't be worth it. You'd looking at swapping out the treble hooks for singles & then have to balance the lure as treble hooks weigh more than singles of the same size. You also won't find much fishing locally that these lures would work better or as well as lower cost alternatives. Not worth the bother or the cost IMO.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Tylsie

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 09:06:08 AM »

Personally, have never had any luck with crank baits, but maybe I just don't know how to fish them. Probably need more experience. There is quite a few smaller bass ponds (lakes) around that they should work on, but may be better off spending your money lures that may be more versatile.

I am curious though Ralph, you said that you have to change the treble hooks to single. Why? Did the rules change recently and you can no longer use treble hooks in lakes (unless posted in the regs otherwise)? I very, very seldom use treble hooks, but still have a few on some lures.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 09:37:38 AM »

well for the same reason you don't have many lures with trebles hooks! You can't use them everywhere so they are not versatile. IME lures with multiple trebles an be a nightmare when releasing fish or just unhooking something  you want to keep. Plus there is the increased chance of accidentally hooking a person, including yourself

I am also kind of curious KK, where are did you normally fish or where are you intending to use these? Overall these are not lures I'd be recommending for local angling as they are likely too large.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

doja

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 10:53:52 AM »

^^^

Personally I find trebles reduce deep hooking/puncturing theirs eyes and such and is a reason I favour them at times in certain lakes and I size them accordingly (super easy to change sizes with pliers).

I'd be curious as to how they preform in the Fraser river for pinks as the large size my trigger a aggressive response from the pinks and be easy to zero in on?...

KarateKick

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 10:01:25 PM »

I am also kind of curious KK, where are did you normally fish or where are you intending to use these? Overall these are not lures I'd be recommending for local angling as they are likely too large.

Hi Ralph, this is just a learning exercise for me and the kids. I certainly can't afford to pay $30 for a pack of three lures, but these caught our attention because one pack was labelled as a "trout kit". (Previously we thought it was used only as a bass lure.)

For targetting trout in the lower Fraser, I am curious about two things:
1) Can crankbaits be reeled in much more slowly than metal lures, making them easier for trout to catch?
2) Does the rattling sound attract trout when the muddy water has low visibility?

I have seen lots of people on the Internet put single hooks on crankbaits. It looks tricky to find the right sized hooks that won't mess up the wobbling action.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 10:03:51 PM by KarateKick »

Tangles

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 06:25:45 PM »

^^^

Personally I find trebles reduce deep hooking/puncturing theirs eyes and such and is a reason I favour them at times in certain lakes and I size them accordingly (super easy to change sizes with pliers).

I'd be curious as to how they preform in the Fraser river for pinks as the large size my trigger a aggressive response from the pinks and be easy to zero in on?...

Can't use trebles in Fraser or any other river.
Single barbless hooks for any salmon in freshwater.

KarateKick

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 06:47:16 PM »

Here is an example of a modified crankbait:

doja

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 08:31:06 PM »

Can't use trebles in Fraser or any other river.
Single barbless hooks for any salmon in freshwater.

Thank you for pointing out what I'm well aware of, lol.

Seems like some don't know how to change a hook out...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 08:37:17 PM by doja »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 09:49:14 PM »

I don't really know how well Bagley crankbaits would work in the Fraser though I believe they can't be rigged as per the photo as only 1 single hook an be used.

redside1

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 10:04:50 AM »

These kits are not traditional BC lures so most would think that they will not work. Lures like Hot Shots and Flatfish are also classified has crankbaits.
If the price is right, purchase and give them a go.
Many people are traditional and don't venture out to try new ideas.
How many on this board just a few years ago would think twitching jigs would works well for coho?
I can say smallmouth bass silicone skirted jigs of assorted colours work incredibly well for coho.

redside1

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 10:06:15 AM »

Looks like they would work well for bull/ dollies when the fry are moving out

doja

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 11:22:02 AM »

I don't really know how well Bagley crankbaits would work in the Fraser though I believe they can't be rigged as per the photo as only 1 single hook an be used.

Might be legal if you put a weight on it and let it sit on the bottom as a bar rig is legal to have 2 hooks... There's not really a clear definition of a bar rig as far as I know.... And it'd of course have to float.

redside1

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 12:20:15 PM »

The lure pictured above is legal to use in single barbless hook fisheries. I have check in the past many years ago with what was MoE at the time and received an email saying a lure with 2 hook locations can be fished if both hooks are single point and barbless.
You may want to reconfirm for your own peace of mind

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 05:07:05 PM »

Is this the particular crankbait? :

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/bagley-trout-fishing-lure-kit-0777296p.html#srp

No I have never used them or seen them used. At $10 each they are expensive plus to use in streams you'd have to change them to single barbless & even then they may not be legal. Flatfish or banana plugs which as has been pointed out above are also proven locally for trout and salmon are a bit less expensive.