Re: Argh!
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2005, 10:05:18 PM »

Hmm... What can you get for $200? ;D

Here's a $400 bling. ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2005, 10:24:55 PM »

I have an Islander Steelheader and frankly I'm not too impressed with it. My .02

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2005, 10:29:06 PM »

Still 400$ on a reel damn! i love fishing its my second passion but your pockets gotta be pretty big for that kinda spending. The setup on the second picture im guessing is a good 600 bucks with the rod and everything. The most i ever spent on a full set up was 300 bucks, but looks like this fly fishing setup is gona top that. >:(
[

d_w

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2005, 10:35:34 PM »

I fish with an Islander LA 3.8, Awsome Reel,

Its not just the Bling bling. its the quality put into manufacturing 1 of these reels.
Fishing Is life the rest Is just details

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2005, 10:38:29 PM »

Yes, I would agree that the LX 3.8 is indeed an awesome reel.

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2005, 10:57:25 PM »

Whoa :o  I had no idea that owning, using and being captured in a picture with a nice fly rod and reel would start such a contraversy ::)  I guess the rod and reel are more important than the beautiful native bull trout in the picture ???  I think what someone owns and uses for a fly rod and reel is their business. I fish alot and demand quality gear, therefore I'm willing to spend the money needed to aquire such gear. There is nothing worst than to have a trophy size fish on and having an equipment failure :'(  I'm not saying it doesn't happen with high quality equipment, but it happens less frequently  :)
I have been using Islander reels for years, they are by far the best Canadian made reel on the market. The engineering and tooling needed to make such high quality fly reels is an expensive venture. The spools and cages for these reels are machined from the highest quality aircraft grade aluminum. They are far more superior than any casted aluminum or injection molded plastic fly reel.
There are far more worst things a person can waste their money on like gambling or drugs  ;)

Carlo
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 11:00:04 PM by Chrome Mykiss »

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2005, 11:10:47 PM »

Chrome if you thought that i was questioning why you would buy such an expensive reel then its my fault and i wasant. ;D I wanted to know what the reel you were using was because im looking to buy a fly fishing setup, but cant decide on everything yet . I like your reel so i asked, but i was just shocked by the price. ;)
[

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2005, 11:15:57 PM »

FF, relax, you don't pick up sarcasm too easily do you? ;D

Notice the ;D and ;) in my previous posts? ;)

Use whatever makes you feel comfortable, whatever you feel is reliable, it'll make a good fishing day. :)

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2005, 11:30:58 PM »

FishFreak, i agreed with you 100%, you don't need an Islander to catch fish.. I just use a Simple direct drive, large abor, disk drag Tibor reel by Ted Juracsik.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2005, 06:00:48 AM »

I agree with you as well freak, but come on, it is nice to have some Bling Bling out there sometime!  You have seen some of my gear! It doesn't get any more expensive than that ;) Do I need it to catch fish, no, infact I caught more before I got all the bling bling!!   Did I want it, hell ya, that is why I bought it!!  To each there own man, it's all good!!!! ;D ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!