Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Centerpin casting?  (Read 13871 times)

Weatherby

Centerpin casting?
« on: August 30, 2010, 08:08:05 PM »

Hey all,What are your favorite methods of casting a centerpin?This fall will be my first season of centerpining ,and I'm looking to improve my casting before I go to the water. Does anyone use the modified wallis cast?

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Re: Centerpin casting?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 08:49:31 PM »

Go to youtube and type in centerpin casting.

Weatherby

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 09:23:13 PM »

I have done that...checked out some videos.Just wondering what everyone's preferences are.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 09:27:43 PM by Weatherby »

jon5hill

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 09:30:17 PM »

It's entirely dependent on the location. In precipitous canyon-like areas I spool out a bunch of line and toss it, if I'm fishing structured slow moving water I do the same. If I'm fishing runs in the lower part of the Vedder I do a normal cast.. The wallis cast or whatever it's called adds a whole lot of twist to your line and it's not particularly effective for me anyway.

J

Brian

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 10:06:35 PM »

long rod (over 11 feet) plus a regular cast works for me. 
allow your gear to start falling before flipping it into the water. 
I found side-casting easier to do at first. 
Go with a big wooden float and a couple inches of pencil lead.  More weight is easier to cast further at first.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 10:14:27 PM »

don't bother with the wallis cast, i think it's retarded and inaccurate...

best to stick with the BC cast and use your ring finger to control the release so you don't nest.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 10:59:30 PM »

the wallis cast doesn't cause line twisting!. it is also very accurate if u know how to do it properly. one of the advantages of the wallis is being able to cast extremely light rigs far distances. not the best cast for beginners but if u have experience with a pin you should try and learn to do it properly. i can guarantee you wont be sorry .
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 11:02:14 PM by GENERAL-SHERMAN »

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 07:07:29 AM »

The hard part about googling how to cast a centerpin, is most of what they show is wallis and other unique casts usually originating from the UK.

There are uses for some but generally on rivers around here such as the vedder, people use a side cast, sometimes called a bc cast. Start with the rod behind you to your side, let go of the spool, swing it out towards the river, use your finger to control over running of the spool and stop it slightly before hitting the water.

Brian hit the two key points when learning. Using extra weight will help while learning. When the rod is behind you, let go of the reel so it starts spinning before you start to swing your rod towards the water.

Weatherby

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 10:21:48 AM »

Thanks guys.Ive been on the water once...kind of got the hang of the side cast...I'll just work on my accuracey with that and im sure i'll be fine.

azafai

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 10:47:54 AM »

this might be repeated
what is the best rod suggestion for a centerpin (let say Islander Steelheader) for Vedder?
thanks

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 11:38:06 AM »

dont go asking about whats everyones rod preferences  ::) your gonna get so many choices you will be overwhelmed. I will just give you a brief overview of what alot of guys are using for length and the rods power rating (stated by the first number in most rods cases)

most people use 10'6" - 12' rods ranging from a 2 power up to a 4 power. A good all around rod is a 3113M
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

andychan

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 11:52:52 AM »

Go to youtube and type in centerpin casting.

I did that and it told me to buy a real fishing reel like this one:

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 12:18:27 PM »

the wallis cast doesn't cause line twisting!. it is also very accurate if u know how to do it properly. one of the advantages of the wallis is being able to cast extremely light rigs far distances. not the best cast for beginners but if u have experience with a pin you should try and learn to do it properly. i can guarantee you wont be sorry .

neither does the bc cast if you know how to control the spin...to boot, it's less tiring because you're using both arms for leverage...wallis cast is good on smaller rivers try casting like that all day (on the vedder) and let's see how long you last.

Fish Slayer

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 03:13:54 PM »

neither does the bc cast if you know how to control the spin...to boot, it's less tiring because you're using both arms for leverage...wallis cast is good on smaller rivers try casting like that all day (on the vedder) and let's see how long you last.
99% of the time I use the modified Wallace cast and I can cast farther and more accurately than the BC cast. blaydRnr why is it if people don't agree then it's always "retarded" or dumb? You really remind me of a guy that I bumped into on the vedder last fall...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 03:21:55 PM by Fish Slayer »

Bhinky

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 03:44:53 PM »

I did that and it told me to buy a real fishing reel like this one:

lol! not this debate again!!  ;)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 03:47:02 PM by Bhinky »