Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder river steelhead.  (Read 21582 times)

daisy

Re: Vedder river steelhead.
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2009, 11:53:53 PM »

Just wondering what size of float works the best? i have never fished a clear float. 25Gram? heavier or lighter? I fished a 45gram balsa wood float for salmon and it worked out pretty good. I'm thinking lighter and smaller presentations would increase my chance of hooking into a steelie. :-\
Adam Gyorffy

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2009, 12:32:01 AM »

#2 hook, and 20 or 25g float

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2009, 01:52:36 PM »

Just wondering what size of float works the best? i have never fished a clear float. 25Gram? heavier or lighter? I fished a 45gram balsa wood float for salmon and it worked out pretty good. I'm thinking lighter and smaller presentations would increase my chance of hooking into a steelie. :-\

Steelhead are for lack of a better term, stupid. If are able to fool a salmon into biting then you should have no trouble fooling a steelhead.

With that said, I typcially run a 30g float 90% of the time while I am fishing for steelhead.
Actions speak louder than words.

sugartooth

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2009, 02:42:59 PM »

Steelhead are for lack of a better term, stupid. If are able to fool a salmon into biting then you should have no trouble fooling a steelhead.

With that said, I typcially run a 30g float 90% of the time while I am fishing for steelhead.

Do you use a 30g because 90% of the time you are fishing faster water and you use more weigth to keep your bait down in the strike zone?

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2009, 04:14:02 PM »

Exactly, match your float and weight to the water you are fishing.
Like Biffchan said, Steelhead are way easier to entice a bite from then a salmon.
You just need to know how to control your drifts, and cover water till you find where they are.

I personally believe you can have good success fishing heavier gear for steelhead, although I try and keep mine to a minimum. My first year I did quite well with a thumb nail size gooey bob, 2/0 hook, and 12 pound leader. Just to give you an idea of how aggressive these fish are.

One thing about these fish are they will hold honestly anywhere, although I have a good idea where they would most likely hold. Some of the places iv seen them hold and bite still amazes me. 

Another important part once you learn how to fish different pieces of water and read water, is to put yourself a circuit together. Once you learn a circuit, you can effectively and quickly fish through it and move on to your next circuit. Try having a circuit on the lower, middle and upper so you can keep up with the moving fish wherever they might be.

Also If you hook a fish in an area, keep fishing that area because there will be more around and I find they will sometimes hold in that same area for a week or two before moving out. Which are usually when people go through there fish streaks.Good luck.
The Bigger The Better!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2009, 10:50:46 PM »

Do you use a 30g because 90% of the time you are fishing faster water and you use more weigth to keep your bait down in the strike zone?

I like 30g because I feel it is a happy medium for most situations. For me its about being able to cover as much water as possible in a day and a big part of that is having a presentation that can be used in all situations.

Don't get me wrong, if I get to the river and its super low, I'll probably end up changing to a lighter setup but that setup then stays on for the remainer of the day. Or at least until a rock steals it  :-[
Actions speak louder than words.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2009, 09:45:27 AM »

Thanks to all the contributors to this thread; am looking forward to putting this info to the test in the coming years. Pumped!
Nick

costas

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2009, 12:37:12 PM »

yea!..thanks..and I am realy pumped aswell
Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

fish007

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2009, 04:10:47 PM »

Me too will be steelheading soon :P :P

costas

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2009, 05:51:11 PM »

im planning to go probley december 29 or 30
Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2009, 11:13:29 PM »

to give yourself the best chance of hooking up be willing to spend as much time on the water as you can ,and learn the areas you are fishing well,learn and cover the best holding spots thoroughly,learn what baits to use in different conditions like colored water or high water,in high and colored water fish will hold in closer to shore or tailouts if they feel safe,remember fishing steelhead is not like fishing for salmon,there are far fewer steelhead in the river than there are salmon and it is more like hunting and can be very rewarding when the day comes when you have put in your time and finally get rewarded with the elusive slab of steel.good luck.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2009, 12:14:25 AM »

#2 hook, and 20 or 25g float

20-25 wont even hold my roe up ;)

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2009, 06:57:07 AM »

hehe nice one glx !Thats why I tell everyone the 35 gramers are the best for roe fishing ;D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 06:59:15 AM by Cleardrift »